Skip to main content
Topic: Republican of the Year (Read 47730 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Republican of the Year

Reply #75
I can't believe the rubbish Abbott is spouting about being elected Prime Minister by the Australian people.  He was elected as leader of the Parliamentary Liberal Party by Liberal MPs.  It's interesting that a bloke who is so wedded to maintaining links with his mother country should claim a presidential mandate.  Of course, talking bullsh1t is what got him into this predicament in the first place.

Yep. The other thing that I find highly amusing is US citizen, one Rupert Murdoch, presuming to tell Credlin to do her "patriotic" duty! The sheer arrogance of the man is breathtaking.  ::)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #76
Spill defeated 61-39

The 'dance' begins >:D

Reply #77
Spill defeated 61-39

Yep. Fun watching ABC News 24. Let's see how he likes it. Julia must be laughing her head off. Karma.

Cooked. Just a matter of time now. 39% dissaproval rating..probably more. Remember that this was not a vote for Abbott versus a challenger..This was purely based on him..hence it it is only a matter of time. Let the madness end soon ...
Keep the Faith

Reply #80
I can't believe the rubbish Abbott is spouting about being elected Prime Minister by the Australian people.  He was elected as leader of the Parliamentary Liberal Party by Liberal MPs.  It's interesting that a bloke who is so wedded to maintaining links with his mother country should claim a presidential mandate.  Of course, talking bullsh1t is what got him into this predicament in the first place.

I think when most people vote, they vote for the party leader - well, against a leader is probably more accurate.

Except for the really high profile candidates, I doubt most people could identify who they voted for.

Reply #81
Spill defeated 61-39

Thats a massive discrepancy right there.

The goose is cooked.

I don't understand, there is no vote for the leadership... He lives on.

For now - watch this space. He's mortally wounded.

Reply #82
It just needs a stooge, likely to be Mal Brough, to challenge at tomorrow's party meeting and the Suppository of all Wisdom will be gone.

I would prefer to see him stick around for a while though.  I'm not really a cruel person but I do enjoy watching him squirming while butchering the English language to justify his decisions.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #83
It just needs a stooge, likely to be Mal Brough, to challenge at tomorrow's party meeting and the Suppository of all Wisdom will be gone.

I would prefer to see him stick around for a while though.  I'm not really a cruel person but I do enjoy watching him squirming while butchering the English language to justify his decisions.

Maybe they'll pension him off with a knighthood - "Arise Sir Pository" ?

Reply #84
Spill defeated 61-39

The goose is cooked.

It really depends. The ministry is required to vote against the spill and clearly at least Malcolm would add to the spill vote. It's up to Tone in the next few months.

Reply #85
@IOT

I guess it depends on whether you believe that he's capable of changing - I'm not so sure he is.

Reply #86
Spill defeated 61-39

The goose is cooked.

It really depends. The ministry is required to vote against the spill and clearly at least Malcolm would add to the spill vote. It's up to Tone in the next few months.

What today was about was 'testing the waters'.
You cant be really sure how folk will vote until it actually goes to the vote.
Don't believe anyone who says they'll vote for you...only believe those who say they won't.

So now it's pretty clear of the level of discontent.
From here it becomes a matter of time while Bishop and Turnbull count up the numbers and gather support.
Had they officially challenged today the likely result would have been a narrow victory either way....What a new leader would want will be a decisive victory.

In his first statement after the ballot Abbott showed very poor judgement by again referring to the fact that it's the people who should elect a PM.
That was effectively saying to those who supported the spill motion that they had no right to do so.

Party members will talk publicly about giving him time and space but behind the scenes it will be a very different story.

He's finished.

Reply #87
What today was about was 'testing the waters'.
You cant be really sure how folk will vote until it actually goes to the vote.
Don't believe anyone who says they'll vote for you...only believe those who say they won't.

So now it's pretty clear of the level of discontent.
From here it becomes a matter of time while Bishop and Turnbull count up the numbers and gather support.
Had they officially challenged today the likely result would have been a narrow victory either way....What a new leader would want will be a decisive victory.

In his first statement after the ballot Abbott showed very poor judgement by again referring to the fact that it's the people who should elect a PM.
That was effectively saying to those who supported the spill motion that they had no right to do so.

Party members will talk publicly about giving him time and space but behind the scenes it will be a very different story.

He's finished.

Yes he is gone. Because it wasn't a conscience vote you have to assume most voted along the party lines. That means a good chunk of the voters might not actually support him given 2/3 of the backbench don't and happily go on record as such! All Abbott has done is consign us to months more of this instability!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #88
Even LNP supperts who voted for Abbott fully expected the drongo to be replaced during his term in office.

He's about 3/4 of the way along his self created green line/mile.

About the only people praying for said drongo to retain his reign of incompetency are members of the Labor Party, who'd be willing to help pay his salary out of their own pockets.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #89
Even LNP supperts who voted for Abbott fully expected the drongo to be replaced during his term in office.

He's about 3/4 of the way along his self created green line/mile.

About the only people praying for said drongo to retain his reign of incompetency are members of the Labor Party, who'd be willing to help pay his salary out of their own pockets.

I think the NSW Liberal Right are pretty keen to keep him on as well. Remember this is the bloke who promised to change the defamation laws for the likes of Bolt, Jones and Laws so that could profit from disharmony! Notice Bolt turn on Turnbull today? ;)

I watched Abbott walk out of that party room having controlled the vote along party lines, with that disingenuous grin on his face and the stupid strut. It's just obvious he can't and won't change, he thinks he makes the rules and he doesn't have to follow them!

Quote from: Tony Abbott
“My question is to the Prime Minister,” Abbott said. “Given that one-third of her parliamentary colleagues and a quarter of her cabinet colleagues have today expressed their lack of confidence in her, how can she claim to have a mandate to continue as Prime Minister?”

Abbott's a real James Hird, if only Bishop had the balls to run against Abbott he'd be gone!
The Force Awakens!