Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2020 Rd 2: Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 18092 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2020 Rd 2: Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #225
Being the 2nd best ruck in a club these days can be like being Australia's 2nd best wicketkeeper. Damn hard to get a game.

De Koning will eventually turn out very well for us. Will ruck well and can do well forward too. Look forward to him playing when he's eventually ready.

I like TDK and reckon he is very talented but I doubt he will be able to play a full season ever, very injury prone and
I just wish we could make him more robust. I'm more of the view he will survive longer if used sparingly in the ruck and more down forward.

Reply #226
I wasn't talking successful clubs in terms of recent history.
The early successful clubs in this bastardised 2020 season will be the ones that get their act together quickest.after the resumption.
Few if any seasons have had such a disruption after the season has commenced.
The uncertainty of the timing of the recommencement would also have impacted on the players.

Last weekend was virtually a new start to the year.
How individual players will have coped with the problems of isolation will vary dramatically.
Some will hit the ground without missing a beat and that will go for some teams as well.
Other will take a few weeks to hit their stride.
My point was Lods they prepared well and were ready to go when the ball was bounced rnd 2. Your mob is still trying to figure out when the season re-starts (so to speak)
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #227
I like TDK and reckon he is very talented but I doubt he will be able to play a full season ever, very injury prone and
I just wish we could make him more robust. I'm more of the view he will survive longer if used sparingly in the ruck and more down forward.
That describes at least a dozen on the list.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #228
you really don't like admitting you're wrong, do you?

It's not about being right or wrong, it's just a discussion that most do not take personally, so relax and join the debate.

Do you think Pittonet is better than Preuss, Marshall, Cameron or Smith, if you do what is the basis for that assessment?

FWIW, last season Marshall was probably amongst the BoG against us twice, putting SpecialK and Levi to the sword! Even so Ratten now has Marshall playing 2nd fiddle to Ryder. Of course in those games we played SpecialK under-done or injured with only Levi as a viable backup, and Levi as a ruck option is not up to it. McKay was next to worthless as well, the only part of McKay that is ruck is his height and there the analogy ends!

Are any of those listed above at the current or previous levels of SpecialK, Gawn, Grundy, Naitanui or any other 1st ruck?

If not then how are they viable replacements for a 1st ruck, ever?

What's the point of spending time developing supplementary types, shouldn't we be trying to find a genuine 1st ruck replacement, someone the equivalent of a fit SpecialK? At this stage there seems to be only one hope on our list, De Koning.

When fans post about have a solo first ruck, I doubt they are thinking about having a Pittonet, Marshall, Cameron, Casboult, etc., etc., type 1st rucking in a premiership hunt. I suspect they are thinking about Gawn, Grundy, Naitanui, martin or Nankervis type, unambiguously 1st rucks.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #229
It's not about being right or wrong, you seem to take this very personally, and it seems to me deeply hate having your arbitrary proclamations questioned.

Do you think Pittonet is better than Preuss, Marshall, Cameron or Smith, if you do what is the basis for that assessment?

FWIW, last season Marshall was probably amongst the BoG against us twice, putting SpecialK and Levi to the sword! Even so Ratten now has Marshall playing 2nd fiddle to Ryder.

Are any of those listed above at the level of SpecialK, Gawn, Grundy, Naitanui, 1st rucks?

If not then how are they viable replacements for a 1st ruck, ever?

What's the point of spending time developing supplementary types, shouldn't we be trying to find a genuine 1st ruck replacement?

It's way too early to judge Pittonet but nothing to suggest (currently) he's not the equal or better of 3 of the first 4 mentioned. Marshall is (currently) a better player.

My point - in response to your original comments - is that there is nothing to suggest Pittonet can't be a very capable first ruck. Big unit (202cm, 105kg) with mongrel, good mark, not slow, appears durable and has an excellent work ethic. And knows how to lay a tackle!

https://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/461242/pittonets-dominance-recognised

Special K is all but dusted sadly, Gawn is 29 this year (121 games now, had only played 20 odd games at Pittonet's age) , Grundy is 26 with 134 games), Naitanui just hit 30, 168 games.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #230
Some highlights from the Dees game on Pittonet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kAOcO8xpMI

The commentators were impressed....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #231
It's way too early to judge Pittonet but nothing to suggest (currently) he's not the equal or better of 3 of the first 4 mentioned. Marshall is (currently) a better player.

My point - in response to your original comments - is that there is nothing to suggest Pittonet can't be a very capable first ruck. Big unit (202cm, 105kg) with mongrel, good mark, not slow, appears durable and has an excellent work ethic.

https://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/461242/pittonets-dominance-recognised

Special K is all but dusted sadly, Gawn is 29 this year (121 games now, had only played 20 odd games at Pittonet's age) , Grundy is 26 with 134 games), Naitanui just hit 30, 168 games.
All players had a start, it doesn't count for much. 

I'm not sure it's viable to consider VFL rucking as a valid comparison to AFL. If it was how can it be Nick Meese languished his whole career in the VFL, he was the VFL's dominant ruck for almost a decade?

We all wish Pittonet well, but wishes do not count for much and it will be another 2 or 3 seasons before we get the genuine answer. If we wait until then to put an backup plan in place we've burned the careers of Cripps and others. I'd much rather put that time into De Koning as he seems to have potential beyond Pittonet, or perhaps another kid. So for me Pittonet is a place holder, even if I wish him well.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #232
Some highlights from the Dees game on Pittonet.

The commentators were impressed....
Yes, I wrote as much in the voting thread that I would have liked to give him votes, but I had to temper that against his opponent running rampant. 

I'm not going to confuse good with dominant efforts, we might be looking at Pittonet through rose coloured glasses having put up with rather poor 2nd ruck options for so long.

At the weekend Pittonet did what was expected after being dominated early, he competed and halved the contest, but he didn't dominate. It's a hell of a jump to be proclaimed as 1st dominance capable against a Gawn or Grundy type, Kreuzer often was, and I think we need a replacement who is capable of dominating them not just squaring the contest.

I'd be more confident of developing Pittonet if we still had Josh Fraser around the club, Fraser coached Liam Jones into VFL ruck dominance. Who are our current ruck / midfield / stoppage coaches? Hamish Macintosh and John Barker, nice blokes!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #233
I love Kreuzer as much as the next bloke, but for quite some time he was both the reason we won and lost games, and that equation doesnt get a team very far in AFL footy.

You can rely on a bloke like Cripps, or Judd lets say, but not someone who is a 24/7 footballer.  Plays 7 great games a year and injured for 24.  That means make HIM the second banana, and he can fill in for the fit young bull who can do a job every week, and then come finals time play them in a tandem.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #234
For me, having watched the replay, the absolute best thing to come out of the weekends game, ignoring the outcome of the set shots, was Cripps clunking marks inside F50.

Get him working with Rocca, leave Levi, McKay and McGovern pumping up and down the field on hard lead after hard lead.

Let Cripps float inside F50 to have a rest by clunking and kicking a few, he and perhaps Weitering are serious serious F50 marking options!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #235
All players had a start, it doesn't count for much.

I'm not sure it's viable to consider VFL rucking as a valid comparison to AFL. If it was how can it be Nick Meese languished his whole career in the VFL, he was the VFL's dominant ruck for almost a decade?

We all wish Pittonet well, but wishes do not count for much and it will be another 2 or 3 seasons before we get the genuine answer. If we wait until then to put an backup plan in place we've burned the careers of Cripps and others. I'd much rather put that time into De Koning as he seems to have potential beyond Pittonet, or perhaps another kid. So for me Pittonet is a place holder, even if I wish him well.

Did I say that? No. But he's clearly done his apprenticeship.

Using Meese as a comparison is just you trying to be cute - and failing.

Meese was overlooked for years, rightly or wrongly, for well documented reasons. Height and tank.

And it won't take 2-3 years to see how good he is - he gave Grundy a fair touch up this year. We'll know this season his 'potential'.

Playing TDK as the #1 ruck now will simply ruin the kid - as we did to Kreuzer to be honest.

The Frenchman is a big man, a hard man and other ruckmen know it.

TDK is a spindly kid - any other ruckmen know that too.

Your logic is flawed.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #236
Don't need a gun ruckman to win a flag.  Pittonet will do if this weeks game was a good example of what he can do, and he regularly plays to that standard or above.  A gun ruck would be nice of course, but we need a gun mid or two and a small forward more.

Reply #237
I reckon he'll be fine for us.  Cost us little anyway.

Reply #238
Pittonet is what we should expect from 2nd rucks, but so far his best is miles off a good 1st ruck.

It's clear some either undervalue very good ruckmen, or think the ones we've got are mustard, but I think that is just looking at our guys through navy blue glasses.

I'm not sure you can take average ruck into a GF and think you'll be at no disadvantage. Looking at recent selection trends there are a bunch of AFL coaches that think the very same.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #239
Did I say that? No. But he's clearly done his apprenticeship.

Using Meese as a comparison is just you trying to be cute - and failing.

Meese was overlooked for years, rightly or wrongly, for well documented reasons. Height and tank.

And it won't take 2-3 years to see how good he is - he gave Grundy a fair touch up this year. We'll know this season his 'potential'.

Playing TDK as the #1 ruck now will simply ruin the kid - as we did to Kreuzer to be honest.

The Frenchman Italian is a big man, a hard man and other ruckmen know it.

TDK is a spindly kid - any other ruckmen know that too.

Your logic is flawed.
EFA
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th