Skip to main content
Topic: JLT Round 1 - Blues v Hird's Old Crew (this Thursday, Princes Park) (Read 25246 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: JLT Round 1 - Blues v Hird's Old Crew (this Thursday, Princes Park)

Reply #120
As you say, you get the feeling these blokes are starting to play for each other....

Or perhaps in-spite of each other! :o

I do wonder if the more talented kids having been exposed to the imports are starting to be feed up with the old ways.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #121
So much to like, and yes, it's only JLT. But...

Welcome Gibbo, Gov and Newman, immediate positive impact (especially impressed with Newman's work down back - got a ripper with this kid). Likewise Walsh, but almost goes without saying now, what a star. Fish and Cripps... dynamic duo.

Flip - good stuff. Took some very good marks along with good ruck work.

Welcome back, Weiters.

Never thought Cuningham would make it as a defender or even mid (at this stage), too many vanishing acts... BUT... fading in and out as a silky, opportunistic forward... yep.

Concerns: Polson and SOJ (although SOJ made the most of very few possessions) and concentration lapse in final qtr.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #122
Despite the multiple new additions and players returning from injury, these guys played like a team. All appear to know what the plan is, and are pulling in the same direction  :)

Finally we see glimpses of cohesion within a winning culture. Early days but so much to like last night.

Highlight for me, aside those previously mentioned: our boys grinning in unison - with our coaches, staff, and all Bluebaggers

Go new Blues
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #123
So much to like, and yes, it's only JLT. But...

Welcome Gibbo, Gov and Newman, immediate positive impact (especially impressed with Newman's work down back - got a ripper with this kid). Likewise Walsh, but almost goes without saying now, what a star. Fish and Cripps... dynamic duo.

Flip - good stuff. Took some very good marks along with good ruck work.

Welcome back, Weiters.

Never thought Cuningham would make it as a defender or even mid (at this stage), too many vanishing acts... BUT... fading in and out as a silky, opportunistic forward... yep.

Concerns: Polson and SOJ (although SOJ made the most of very few possessions) and concentration lapse in final qtr.

These two I have pencilled in to be 50-100 odd game cameo performance players and will never win many fans over.

They won't win you many games off their own boot, but they will plug away, over and over and over again and make the most of their limited abilities in the same way other less lauded players have in the past.

Its worth remembering at this point, that whilst everyone lauded Hawthorn's usual suspects of Roughead, Cyril, Lewis and co, there were other blokes who somehow found a way to impact games without their requisite ability (thinking of Will Langford's grand final against Sydney in 2014).   21 disposals, 6 tackles 3 goals.  If you can get something resembling that from JSOS, or Polson, then they have done alright and are worth keeping just in case we have a few drop to injury.  Your depth cant all be classy.  They just have to be willing to stick around, play their part for the team and the club, and make the most of limited opportunities which thus far they appear to be doing.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #124

I thought Poulson and SoJ was a bit stiff not to be rewarded for some very good tackles, and both did not receive frees for being tackled high or being slung.

I don't know what it is but we seem to have to hold onto an opponent much longer to be rewarded for a good tackle, yet we get stung almost instantly if we are tackled. On Kayo I heard Brown or Riewoldt comment during the match that they would like to see more Carlton players endeavored to get their hands free when tackled rather than being so submissive. This could be part of the problem, or maybe our coaching is a bit old fashioned in this regard as we seem to be using more of the hold it in tactic. I thought Daisy was very good at getting his hands free and getting a disposal away.

One thing, we are still horrible at fumbling or missing marks to our advantage. Rule 101, if you are under pressure knock/fumble the ball to a team-mates advantage.

Finally, while we were very good at stoppages we still lack smalls getting at the feet of McKay and McGovern from marking contests. They are not going to be outmarked yet it was often players like Tipungwuti, McGrath, Smith or Francis in front of the pack at the fall of the ball. When it comes to Rnd 1 versus Nthmond, it'll be Nthmond numbers at the feet of Riewoldt or some other Nthmond KPF.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #125
Sounds like you had a great evening G2C. 

I had to make do with the tiny AFL app vision but it was still very enjoyable ... and the IPA wen down well  :)
Twas a great night DJ, even if it was only a praccy match
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #126
These two I have pencilled in to be 50-100 odd game cameo performance players and will never win many fans over.

They won't win you many games off their own boot, but they will plug away, over and over and over again and make the most of their limited abilities in the same way other less lauded players have in the past.

Wiggo, Rhino

I love the attitude of both Polson and SOJ and the way they attack the game.
It's a terrific example....and probably the reason Polson gets, what some might consider, more than his fair share of games.
Hopefully that can be rewarded with a little more than just the occasional cameo as it's an attitude that should be reflected in all players

Pre-Season....don't put any stock at all in the relative merits of either side and the result should they meet in the regular season.

However
Some really good signs from the younger and newer players that suggests we'll be a stronger side this year.
As has been mentioned in other threads though, it's a matter of who we can go past that will determine our ladder position.
We'll need to improve at a greater rate than others and pass a few sides on the slide....and there will be sliders.

Walsh looks like vindicating the choice we made to go with the Pick 1 rather than trading it for multiple picks....but once again we'll have to wait a bit to actually see.

Thought that a lot of our players looked a bit stuffed after the game meaning they really committed.
That tiredness probably contributed to the Bombers rush of goals in the last.
It could be explained simply by the fact they may have continued with a heavy training load in the lead up to the game.

Plenty of positives that hopefully carry over to the season proper.

Reply #127
Something I 'think' noticed is that we seemed to knock the ball out of opponents hands in a tackle/chase down a number of times.

If done well it makes an incorrect disposal somewhat clearer rather than a tackle where prior opportunity may come into question.

Am I making this up or did i see some sort of change? Anyone else notice this?

Reply #128
Wiggo, Rhino

I love the attitude of both Polson and SOJ and the way they attack the game.
It's a terrific example....and probably the reason Polson gets, what some might consider, more than his fair share of games.
Hopefully that can be rewarded with a little more than just the occasional cameo as it's an attitude that should be reflected in all players

Pre-Season....don't put any stock at all in the relative merits of either side and the result should they meet in the regular season.

However
Some really good signs from the younger and newer players that suggests we'll be a stronger side this year.
As has been mentioned in other threads though, it's a matter of who we can go past that will determine our ladder position.
We'll need to improve at a greater rate than others and pass a few sides on the slide....and there will be sliders.

Walsh looks like vindicating the choice we made to go with the Pick 1 rather than trading it for multiple picks....but once again we'll have to wait a bit to actually see.

Thought that a lot of our players looked a bit stuffed after the game meaning they really committed.
That tiredness probably contributed to the Bombers rush of goals in the last.
It could be explained simply by the fact they may have continued with a heavy training load in the lead up to the game.

Plenty of positives that hopefully carry over to the season proper.

It was 37 degrees also wouldn't have helped.

Reply #129
Something I 'think' noticed is that we seemed to knock the ball out of opponents hands in a tackle/chase down a number of times.

If done well it makes an incorrect disposal somewhat clearer rather than a tackle where prior opportunity may come into question.

Am I making this up or did i see some sort of change? Anyone else notice this?

Given I watched the game on Kayo at 270p resolution, I can't really help here. Maybe we've been working on a more effective tackling regime over summer. Really happy if that's the case.

Reply #130
Given I watched the game on Kayo at 270p resolution, I can't really help here. Maybe we've been working on a more effective tackling regime over summer. Really happy if that's the case.

270p is that even still available, or are you in Bali?

Do you find streaming issues will all Kayo stuff, or just the odd program?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #131

How come SPF? I watched it on Kayo in HD no problem. However, I've mentioned before that there have been problems with audio synch on Replays but that seems to have been fixed now. I was a bit p--ed off about that at first I must say. Anyway, so far so good. I found the pause function handy last night I must say - needed a few breaks due to beer overload.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #132
I found the pause function handy last night I must say - needed a few breaks due to beer overload.

Last night I could not get the pause function to work, that really pissed me off!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #133
Last night I could not get the pause function to work, that really pissed me off!

I think I just used the Pause button on the Telstra TV remote?? That works on other apps too.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #134
SPS did some marvelous things, but his tank still needs work. He slowed down a lot after half time.

Not sure about this point... I was really happy that his last quarter was one of his best.