Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 18: Post Game In depth Analysis and Soul Searching: Carlton vs Sydney (Read 22812 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 18: Post Game In depth Analysis and Soul Searching: Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #15
@cookie2, Kerridge seemed to have played out most of the 2nd half with only one good arm after copping that shoulder knock
Reality is an illusion, caused by a lack of alcohol...

Reply #16
@cookie2, Kerridge seemed to have played out most of the 2nd half with only one good arm after copping that shoulder knock

Understand that Zed and it was a pretty brave effort for sure. However, my opinion is based not only on this but this and all the other games I've seen him play for us. He's not top drawer, he does not damage the opposition enough and he makes too many errors - we need better.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #17
Just watching a bit of the delayed telecast and saw Boekhourst(not sure of spelling) MASSIVE chase and tackle in the 3rd. Others could have/would have given up seeing how far in the clear the swans player was. Awesome to see.
And I love The forward pressure of SOJ.

Reply #18

I think Kerridge came back on at 3/4 time.  Apparently Bolton said that our young players have to learn to play through pain and Kerridge may have been the first to do so.  I thought he did OK considering one arm was stuffed.

The problem is that our second tier players didn't do enough and Sydney's second tier were a lot better.  That's Kerridge (who was OK), Sumner (a lot better than last week), Buckley, Boekhorst (OK), Graham (not bad), Silvagni, Armfield, Phillips, White (OK), Plowman and C Curnow (OK).  That just places too much pressure on the first tier players.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #19
Just watching a bit of the delayed telecast and saw Boekhourst(not sure of spelling) MASSIVE chase and tackle in the 3rd. Others could have/would have given up seeing how far in the clear the swans player was. Awesome to see.
And I love The forward pressure of SOJ.

Is there an award for "Chase of the Year"?

It was a great effort by Boekhorst and I think his overall performance was pretty good.  I'd like to see him be more involved in the game.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #20
I said pre-game that anything inside 10-goals would be considered a win for us so falling short by just six points feels like a four-goal win to me !!

I got two phone calls just before 3/4 time giving me a snapshot of what had transpired to that point in the match, I was ecstatic to hear Boekhorst gave Xavier Richard a 20m head start and chased him from 50m to 50m and ended up tackling and winning a free kick. That is exactly the sort of stuff I want to see or hear about, that is character building and clearly shows that there is a new ethos amongst the plying group regardless of talent. Good one young Blaine, you may yet win me over with that sort of stuff !!!

I listened to the last quarter on ABC radio here in Sydney and it was obvious that we had all of the play but couldn't find a way to kick the necessary goals to win it. It also appeared that we got stiffed badly on a handful of crucial umpiring decisions too !!

Post-match, the commentators highlighted the fact that we had all of the play but lacked some composure under pressure and focussed on the fact we lacked a big tall forward who could take a mark up forward.

Young players will learn from that experience so the composure issue will be addressed over time.

However, and I know people will say 'here we go again', but we need to unearth two big gorillas for the forward line who can and will take those crucial pack marks and then convert. It is the sole reason why I have been banging on like I have for years, today illustrates why big men are worth their wait in gold, they stand up and win you tight matches.

Overall, this was expected to be a belting yet our players showed a level of fight & determination that all Blues supporters should be proud of. We are going places, we just have to be patient whilst we assemble the right cattle.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #21
Good effort to play out the game, but he was clearly inconvenienced. :( Certainly not a great game. Hopefully he will be OK for next week.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #22
@sheik...

When was the last game you actually got to see us play?

Reply #23
Grundy gave Levi a bath and our forward set up failed badly as a result.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #24
Bugger. Just finished watching the delayed telecast and am actually pretty gutted.

Makes for a good comparison with Hawthorn who just have that touch of class when it matters.

Couple of times in the last, the ball was just centimetres from bouncing/tapping/rolling to our advantage but we just don't have the confidence and finesse to 'make it happen'.  Also not sure why our forwards are allowed to be pulled off the ball in marking contests but, oh well.

Like most others, I'm a big fan of E. Curnow's workrate and g&d, but twice in the last quarter he needed to hit his target but the kicks were poorly weighted and not directed to the advantageous side of his teammate allowing the Swans an easy spoil.  As mentioned, often it's these degrees of measure which make all the difference.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #25

Agree...Levi was out of touch and dropped a few easy marks and is lacking confidence.....
Josh Kennedy seems to save his best for us too.....broke too many tackles and was the reason they won IMO.
Thought we tried hard but when Charile Curnow went down we were lacking forward marking targets and couldnt keep the pressure
on the Swans who didnt impress me other than their usual star players...

Their defense looks rubbery pity we we didnt have enough equipment down forward to expose them....
Gibbs was great especially in the 1st half, Cripps consistent and I thought both Kruezer and Philips held sway in the ruck early but after half time
the ruck duels evened up and we lost some edge in that area...

Reply #26
I said pre-game that anything inside 10-goals would be considered a win for us so falling short by just six points feels like a four-goal win to me !!

I got two phone calls just before 3/4 time giving me a snapshot of what had transpired to that point in the match, I was ecstatic to hear Boekhorst gave Xavier Richard a 20m head start and chased him from 50m to 50m and ended up tackling and winning a free kick. That is exactly the sort of stuff I want to see or hear about, that is character building and clearly shows that there is a new ethos amongst the plying group regardless of talent. Good one young Blaine, you may yet win me over with that sort of stuff !!!

I listened to the last quarter on ABC radio here in Sydney and it was obvious that we had all of the play but couldn't find a way to kick the necessary goals to win it. It also appeared that we got stiffed badly on a handful of crucial umpiring decisions too !!

Post-match, the commentators highlighted the fact that we had all of the play but lacked some composure under pressure and focussed on the fact we lacked a big tall forward who could take a mark up forward.

Young players will learn from that experience so the composure issue will be addressed over time.

However, and I know people will say 'here we go again', but we need to unearth two big gorillas for the forward line who can and will take those crucial pack marks and then convert. It is the sole reason why I have been banging on like I have for years, today illustrates why big men are worth their wait in gold, they stand up and win you tight matches.

Overall, this was expected to be a belting yet our players showed a level of fight & determination that all Blues supporters should be proud of. We are going places, we just have to be patient whilst we assemble the right cattle.

Getting within a goal of a top four side isn't a bad effort - but it's not a win  >:(

In terms of our development and future prospects, our last two games have probably shown more promise than some of our wins. 

Playing two gorillas would be turning the clock back; few teams play one gorilla these days.  I reckon Casboult and McKay will provide plenty of headaches for key defenders, particularly with Charlie as third tall, Jack as an opportunistic lead up forward, a yet to be recruited gun small forward and with Murphy, Cripps, Gibbs, Kerridge, Wright, Boekhorst and Armfield spending time in the forward line.

Reply #27
I think the better team won - fair is fair. They were cleaner and better for longer, a few of their stars stood up when it mattered. They had enough shots on goal for a 3 or 4 goal win.

And I would argue Buddy was probably the difference in the end. 

Very happy with the boys - they really leave it all out there. Apart from Murphy (edit : and maybe Jones), that's probably our best 22.

Reply #28
We look better with more running players and pace.  Graham needs to do a lot better inside to keep getting a game as his disposals don't hurt.  He lays a lot of tackles but he needs to work on making his possessions count.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #29
Yes. Levi really struggled today and had very little impact. He found it very difficult to get any run at the ball.

Our forward line might work a bit better if Charlie Curnow had remained. He was looking dangerous, even though he wasn't grabbing his marks.
I think Silvagni struggled because of our forward method: we struggled to find space and didn't or couldn't lower their eyes. Mind you, I cannot recall seeing anyone really lead like they meant it. Nor could we get anything over the back. It was nice, however, to see a few crumbing goals.
Live Long and Prosper!