Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 9 2024 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 4472 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 9 2024 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #120
Points for:
Carlton: 3rd
Melbourne: 10th

Points against:
Carlton: 15th
Melbourne: 1st

How are we 'horribly out of form' while they are in good form ??

Reply #121
Because Goodwin can sell ice to eskimos
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #122

Because they are winning (last 4 games) and we've lost 3 of our last 4. I'm not a huge stats fan, my favourite stat is the scoreboard.

This'll be a fascinating contest. Looking forward to it. Something of a 'line in the sand' game for us.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #123
Good changes.

I would've liked to keep Cunners in the side, but i can't complain about the ins.
The outs are good too.

Sub to come from....
Durdin, Boyd, Hewett, Cerra, Cottrell.

I'd go Durdin personally.

Yep, you'd reckon Durdin... but I wonder if it'll be Hewett or Cerra...

Reply #124

I’m not sure that we’re out of form but we’re not playing our best footy for four quarters.

Of the teams in the eight, Melbourne’s defence is the most miserly.  Our defence has conceded the most points, about 23 more than Melbourne each game.

We have kicked the third highest point score of the teams in the eight.  Melbourne is one three teams in the eight that have scored around 650 points.  That’s around 15 points per game less than us.

Part of that comes down to gamestyle but Melbourne’s defence is working much better than our unsettled, injury depleted defence.  At the other end of the ground, our very inefficient forward line is scoring more heavily than Melbourne’s cobbled together forward line that relies heavily on small and medium forwards.

Our defence worked much better with McGovern in the mix (including when  Weitering was out).  Given Melbourne’s lack of forward line firepower, can a returning McGovern improve our ability to generate scores from defence?

Our forwards will be under the pump with Melbourne’s in form defenders.  However, the addition of De Koning and the return of Martin should make for a more potent forward line that restricts the ability of Melbourne’s defenders to zone off and double team.

We haven’t been able to apply scoreboard pressure and, unlike the second half of last season, our ability to win close games isn’t as good.  If we’re going to win this one, we have start well and build a decent lead to keep Melbourne’s defence under pressure.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #125
My bad Rocky....yeah missed the obvious one in Saad. Hopefully he's only a few more weeks away but we need to win a couple before then otherwise we might be down the ladder a bit and just fighting to make the 8.

Reply #126
I thought Ollie Hollands for the sub tonight. Cottrell might get the job on Langdon on one wing with Acres on the other.

Reply #127
I thought Ollie Hollands for the sub tonight. Cottrell might get the job on Langdon on one wing with Acres on the other.

Logical, but he's named in the starting 22.

Reply #128
Because they are winning (last 4 games) and we've lost 3 of our last 4. I'm not a huge stats fan, my favourite stat is the scoreboard.

This'll be a fascinating contest. Looking forward to it. Something of a 'line in the sand' game for us.
Time to get rolling like we did second half of last year. Fear no one and mow them down one by one.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #129
Time to get rolling like we did second half of last year. Fear no one and mow them down one by one.
I think this is basically true, but I'd have another spin on it.

Fearing opponents is OK as it is a sign of respect, a little bit of fear is OK in this regard because it promotes thoroughness. But have confidence and trust in yourself, so that you remove hesitation and doubt.

We look slow at times because we hesitate, we have to trust each other and act on trust, and if someone isn't acting on that trust and respecting the trust the team has for them that becomes a job for coaches. To me that is what Voss implies when he talks about a collective.
(SciFi nerds will know of The Borg and the concept of a Hive Mind acting as one.)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #130
If "all" our forwards make leads/get out in the open through the game and those leads are honoured, we stand a good chance.  If we continue to bomb the ball into forward line, long odds for a win.

Ab

Reply #131
OK, so it's gameday. For me the key is Gawn. Has to be the number one target for us to nullify. I'd be reviewing the tape when Sydney played them and use the same tactics Grundy did way back then. Pitt doesn't have to get off the ground just use his bulk. Work him over as much as possible. I mean really work him over (legally). Intersperse that with the TDK leaping over the top of him and really finish him off.
Crucial we get that right tonight for any chance of a win.

Reply #132
The Dees are a strong list, put too much focus on any one player and you let the others off the hook.

I think last time we played them we made life too easy for May and Lever, they nearly won the game for the Dees, except if I recall one uncharacteristic stuff up. Of course I think we had McKay out last time we played. (Ignoring pre-season rubbish.)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #133
Agree....Ollie is very loose and lets his man play off him too much, you cant do that vs Langdon or even the new kid Windsor who is a goalkicker. Id rather see a tight game like when we played Melbourne last time than a free for all up and down the ground high scoring game. Make every contest tough and frustrate Oliver, Gawn etc who dont like physical attention...Id be wanting Pittonet just to go at Gawn all the time and forget about tapouts etc and Id have Hewett shadowing Oliver everywhere he goes.
Petracca, Fritsch, May and Lever will have some impact and thats to be expected but as long as our key players like Cripps, Walsh, Charlie, Harry etc are doing the same I think we will win the game.
Blues by 11 points...