Skip to main content
Topic: 2016 - Rnd 1 Carlton vs Richmond (Read 78360 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2016 - Rnd 1 Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #240
So what are you saying, the Coach cant get them up for the task?

The coach has to have the cattle and, at the moment, we are one key position bull short of a herd.

I'm sure Bolton has something in place but he's a coach, not a miracle worker.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #241
The coach has to have the cattle and, at the moment, we are one key position bull short of a herd.

I'm sure Bolton has something in place but he's a coach, not a miracle worker.

The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see the future is.  ;)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #242
The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see the future is.  ;)

I'm still leaning towards a win  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #243
When Walker came back last year he finished off with 4,4, 1, 2 goals. Everitt kicked 31 for the year. Kerridge and Wright are goal kickers. Our mids need to get amongst the goals, be responsible for 4-5.  Just need to spread the love and take our chances. There are goals there if we deliver properly.

Reply #244
When Walker came back last year he finished off with 4,4, 1, 2 goals. Everitt kicked 31 for the year. Kerridge and Wright are goal kickers. Our mids need to get amongst the goals, be responsible for 4-5.  Just need to spread the love and take our chances. There are goals there if we deliver properly.

Hopefully, Casboult has been foxing in the NAB Cup too. ????

Reply #245
Maric unlikely to play which is a real bonus IMO...Kruezer usually doesnt like the strong bodie type ruckman and i reckon he can dominate Hampson, Vickery and Griffiths and give us first use...

If we cant be competitive this week vs a weak Tigers team then its going to be a long year...

Reply #246
Maric unlikely to play which is a real bonus IMO...Kruezer usually doesnt like the strong bodie type ruckman and i reckon he can dominate Hampson, Vickery and Griffiths and give us first use...

If we cant be competitive this week vs a weak Tigers team then its going to be a long year...

EB1. Games are invariably won, or lost, in the midfield. Our mids, without Smurf (and Gibbs going at 20% - 40%), matched it with the much vaunted Sydney midfield, we'll more than cover the Tigers mids.....even without factoring in their mids out eg Conce, Grigg and Edwards has to be iffy even if he plays?

Thereafter, our forwards will get plenty of chances just need to take them and kick straight. If so, we'll win comfortably.

Who knows when GA tickets go on sale?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #247
EB1. Games are invariably won, or lost, in the midfield. Our mids, without Smurf (and Gibbs going at 20% - 40%), matched it with the much vaunted Sydney midfield, we'll more than cover the Tigers mids.....even without factoring in their mids out eg Conce, Grigg and Edwards has to be iffy even if he plays?

Thereafter, our forwards will get plenty of chances just need to take them and kick straight. If so, we'll win comfortably.[/b]

Who knows when GA tickets go on sale?

Surely your joking.....win comfortably?

We have the worst forward line the comp bar none. That's a fact. We have a midfield that is IMO is very competitive against most but lacks depth in comparison to the top team midfields. The defence is lacking key tall posts and Jamo and Rowe while serviceable are not world beaters. And any good quality small forward usually rips us a new one.

But what ive seen and heard we are on the right path to improve but this will take time and I don't think we will get close to any team this year except Cheats, loins and maybe saints and demons.

Tigers by 45 sadly 

I hope I'm wrong but unless Cas plays a blinder, Walks winds back the clock and our mids kick 6-7 plus goals between them I don't think we will get close.

Reply #248
Yep - unless our mids can hit the scoreboard constantly.....we're absolutely forked......

Worst forward line in living memory......
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #249
I think we can expect about 8 (total) goals from the following players:

Levi
Jones (if he plays)
Kreuzer
Wright
Everitt
Walker

None of them are world beaters, but they can all kick a goal in the right situations.  If we get first use, they will get more opportunities which should lead to goals.

From there, its just a matter of whether or not we can get others to chime in with a couple as well.  If we can get one or more from the following players (not every week, but a mix of them):

Cripps
Gibbs
Tuohy
Murphy
Simpson
Docherty
Byrne
Kerridge
Murphy
Thomas

Then we can score enough to win games.  Its all about how well we use the footy.  If we are in last seasons form we wont win many, but last season we were clearly underdone and ill prepared for a full season.  We seem to be in better overall condition but the real stuff is just about to start and things might change...  Who knows.  A bit of luck will be needed too obviously.  Richmond are the most overated team in the AFL bar North Melbourne, and are missing 2 players who are barometers for whether or not they win games.  Combine that with the fragility they frequently remind everyone of having, and the fact that they have a soft backend to the season, they will come good later but are ripe for the picking this week.

Blues by 10 points.  We wont win easy, but Im confident we can and will win.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #250
I have odds of  5.6 for the win (less than 39 points).

Happy with that.....

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #251
I think we can expect about 8 (total) goals from the following players:

Levi
Jones (if he plays)
Kreuzer
Wright
Everitt
Walker

We've had no one who can reliably kick multiple goals per week since Fev. Walker is the closest and even he kicked 1 goals or less in a third of his games.

It's a big call then for 2 of them to kick multiple goals each week and the rest also getting on the scoreboard.

None of them are world beaters, but they can all kick a goal in the right situations.  If we get first use, they will get more opportunities which should lead to goals.

From there, its just a matter of whether or not we can get others to chime in with a couple as well.  If we can get one or more from the following players (not every week, but a mix of them):

Cripps
Gibbs
Tuohy
Murphy
Simpson
Docherty
Byrne
Kerridge
Murphy
Thomas

Then we can score enough to win games.  Its all about how well we use the footy.  If we are in last seasons form we wont win many, but last season we were clearly underdone and ill prepared for a full season.  We seem to be in better overall condition but the real stuff is just about to start and things might change...  Who knows.  A bit of luck will be needed too obviously.  Richmond are the most overated team in the AFL bar North Melbourne, and are missing 2 players who are barometers for whether or not they win games.  Combine that with the fragility they frequently remind everyone of having, and the fact that they have a soft backend to the season, they will come good later but are ripe for the picking this week.

Blues by 10 points.  We wont win easy, but Im confident we can and will win.

Early on, we're going to need a number of big individual efforts to drag the team along IMO. Which may be enough to snag a win but the focus needs to be on getting the players playing a game now that will win us flags, even if it means losses now.

Reply #252
It's so hard to judge the efforts of older players from the NAB Cup, most of them cruise through pre-season mostly keen on avoiding injury. As a result young blokes look better than they otherwise should and old blokes generally look poorer for their efforts.

We definitely start as underdogs, but are injuries taking a toll on 9thmond?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #253
Surely your joking.....win comfortably?

We have the worst forward line the comp bar none. That's a fact. We have a midfield that is IMO is very competitive against most but lacks depth in comparison to the top team midfields. The defence is lacking key tall posts and Jamo and Rowe while serviceable are not world beaters. And any good quality small forward usually rips us a new one.

But what ive seen and heard we are on the right path to improve but this will take time and I don't think we will get close to any team this year except Cheats, loins and maybe saints and demons.

Tigers by 45 sadly 

I hope I'm wrong but unless Cas plays a blinder, Walks winds back the clock and our mids kick 6-7 plus goals between them I don't think we will get close.

Unfortunately I would have to agree. I don't know about your winning margin though.

Certainly had no trouble kicking goals circa 09,10,11.

Reply #254
Lol @ Jones kicking a goal.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset