Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 13: Post Game Prattling-Carlton v Fremantle (Read 38215 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 13: Post Game Prattling-Carlton v Fremantle

Reply #60
The biggest problem is, how many kids are being inspired to barrack for Carlton?
I worry about our membership numbers five years from now, we've already been left behind.

I signed my newborn Grandson up last week ;)
But you're right...kids in the schoolyard won't be keen on saying "I support Carlton".
That was never a problem in my younger years.

Reply #61
Just as well the D1ckers dropped a little intensity in the 2nd half.

Same old, same old... apply fair-dinkum pressure to our group and they fold.

The seeming severe wobble in this rebuild should see the focus and accountability squarely on the shoulders of the President, SOS, McKay and Barker. Worries me that it may turn out to be mates giving mates jobs.

Like LN, my optimism evaporated today. I remain hopeful, just, that with the inclusion of a few and the removal of a few we'll see a better effort.

It would appear that a lot have learned very little in 2 1/2 years.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #62
Interesting tweet from Rhys Palmer today:

"Everyone talks about draft picks and developing youth but no one ever talks about culture...."

No doubt Palmer is a "disgruntled former employee".
But it may point to some divisons within the playing group or perceived favouritism.

It may be that he just feels a bit "cheesed off" with his treatment

But his comment shouldn't just be dismissed without some expansion or explanation.

Reply #63
But it may point to some divisons within the playing group or perceived favouritism.

But his comment shouldn't just be dismissed without some expansion or explanation.
There are players who feel SOS is there to feather the nests of his sons. Personally, I think that's BS. I could guess who some of these players might be or have been, all I will say is if they had the same attitude of Jack and his love for the jumper, they would be languishing in the 2's or playing suburban footy.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #64
Outside of our win our best performances have actually been against the 4 best sides, Richmond, West Coast, Sydney and Geelong. We need to bring that every week.

Reply #65
Outside of our win our best performances have actually been against the 4 best sides, Richmond, West Coast, Sydney and Geelong. We need to bring that every week.

And therein lies the problem...and it's (much) more than being a youthful side.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #66

Did we deliest him or did he just retire?

When it comes from inside then we have to look at it.

EDIT: Was delisted.

Reply #67
I signed my newborn Grandson up last week ;)
But you're right...kids in the schoolyard won't be keen on saying "I support Carlton".
That was never a problem in my younger years.

Kids love winners and it's been a long time since Carlton was a winner or looked like becoming one.
I bought my grandson a guernsey this year, he's too young to understand it but his mum will fill him in, my daughter was just old enough to get involved in the 1995 flag.
It's not the kids of rusted on supporters we need to worry about though, it's the kids without a team looking for one to follow.
Unless we turn this around sometime soon we will be in serious trouble.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #68
The biggest problem is, how many kids are being inspired to barrack for Carlton?
I worry about our membership numbers five years from now, we've already been left behind.

Great post, we’re in danger of losing a generation of supporters....
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #69
Kids love winners and it's been a long time since Carlton was a winner or looked like becoming one.
I bought my grandson a guernsey this year, he's too young to understand it but his mum will fill him in, my daughter was just old enough to get involved in the 1995 flag.
It's not the kids of rusted on supporters we need to worry about though, it's the kids without a team looking for one to follow.

That was disgraceful today. Again I reiterate, nothing changes until the board is gone SOS is gone and Bolton is gone.  This is uncarlton like and supporters who put up with it are uncarltonlike.

Reply #70
There are players who feel SOS is there to feather the nests of his sons. Personally, I think that's BS. I could guess who some of these players might be or have been, all I will say is if they had the same attitude of Jack and his love for the jumper, they would be languishing in the 2's or playing suburban footy.

Perhaps it goes further than that... maybe to all the GWS personnel SOS has favoured, and that he got the job due to his friendship with the club President?

Something is clearly not right and what happened in the first half cannot be dismissed with comments about available personnel. Our attitude, strategy and intensity was not there from the get go. Of course blokes were trying, but they looked aimless/rudderless and lacking in confidence.

I wonder if anyone else saw the FOX boys in the rooms at half time -- Derm and the Big Hairy Cat -- who were both surprised at the calmness in our rooms at half time.

Reply #71

I'd agree but once the Tiggers worked out what we were up to and applied pressure, we went to water. The Fluffy Ducks and Pussycats, in all honesty, never got out of 3rd gear against us...

I think the reality is that our entire football club is in freefall. A lot of people's jobs depend on the next few weeks.

Reply #72
Ffs sounds all so childish, who is favouring who.. and on and on. 

Where TF is the self pride with these players - ffs open up, take the game on, back you Self, try your guts out, do something!!!

How can it be that Cripps has made himself a top 3 player in the coaches voting? What’s so special about him? Why can’t we emulate that x all the new kids?? Is it just simply he had a few better players around him in his younger days so was able to develop?

Reply #73

Let's face it, there will be a Division/Conference system in place in a few years time.  We will be in Div 2 and I suspect that's where we'll reside semi-permanently.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #74
Also WTF do all the assistant coaches do?

I see no f’ing improvement in any player! None!