Skip to main content
Topic: Yarran to jog in GF Sprint (Read 25109 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Yarran to jog in GF Sprint

Reply #60
I agree with PI2c about JR, but his issue wasn't what he did well.  It's what happened when he started making a few errors.  He could singlehandedly lose a match in ten minutes.

It might be that he is a confidence player, by the end of it, his body was stuffed and not up to the rigours of footy.  Mentally he seemed to lack the ability to stay focussed on his task for long enough as well.

At his best, JR was a runner up to our B+F in the days when Judd was winning them by roughly double the margin.  He only showed his best footy for 12 months though.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #61
I agree with PI2c about JR, but his issue wasn't what he did well.  It's what happened when he started making a few errors.  He could singlehandedly lose a match in ten minutes.

It might be that he is a confidence player, by the end of it, his body was stuffed and not up to the rigours of footy.  Mentally he seemed to lack the ability to stay focussed on his task for long enough as well.

At his best, JR was a runner up to our B+F in the days when Judd was winning them by roughly double the margin.  He only showed his best footy for 12 months though.

Good summary.

I think he did manage to get the best out of himself though.
Each player has different limitations for whatever reason, be it mental or physical.
I don't think JR had anything left in the tank. But while he was on he was good.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #62
What were collingwood thinking giving him the 2 Guernsey. The legendary woewodin wore 2 at the magpies.  ;D

Reply #63
I think he was an elite footballer but a mental lightweight. I think Ratts built him up and then broke him. Obviously, being a mental lightweight, it wasn't a hard thing to do!
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #64
Russell wasn't elite. Elite is a status earned over a number of years of consistently performing to the highest standards, especially when it matters most. Russell did it for one season.

Reply #65
What were collingwood thinking giving him the 2 Guernsey. The legendary woewodin wore 2 at the magpies.  ;D

Collingwood had him earmarked during that ND year in which we drafted him. From memory they took Egan instead as we had already taken JR, but he was the one they wanted. 
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #66
Russell wasn't elite. Elite is a status earned over a number of years of consistently performing to the highest standards, especially when it matters most. Russell did it for one season.

No it's not, you can most certainly be elite one year and not the next. He was certainly elite in the second half of 2009 (most B & F votes) and for the entire 2010 season.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #67
Russell had all the tools. Hard, skill, pacey. In the 2010 B&F, he was actually leading Judd into the last bit of the season so I guess by the MC's view he was out best/most valuable player for about 12 months spanning two seasons.

Was never the same after Thomas kicked all those goals on him (some of which were dubious). He probably got a spray and then never recovered. Very strange

Reply #68
Was never the same after Thomas kicked all those goals on him (some of which were dubious). He probably got a spray and then never recovered. Very strange

Mental lightweight.

BTW I heard from my pi55head bro in law who knows Paul Koutoufides (apparently) that JR had a knee injury that they were forcing him to keep playing with hence his poorer form. He went to Ratts and basically demanded a few weeks off to recover and that was all she wrote. Make of it what you will.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #69
You get licorice all sorts of rumors around footy clubs, 99% are excuses by individuals for some poor performance or attitude or because they hate somebody else.

Very few have any basis as all clubs are run by panels or committees not by individuals.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #70
Yeah well my bro-in-law is the biggest pi55head sht talker that ever existed so......
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #71

Mental lightweight.

BTW I heard from my pi55head bro in law who knows Paul Koutoufides (apparently) that JR had a knee injury that they were forcing him to keep playing with hence his poorer form. He went to Ratts and basically demanded a few weeks off to recover and that was all she wrote. Make of it what you will.

Someone brought that up on the old site a couple of years ago.

Could have been you?

Reply #72
I have mentioned it before but I think someone else had eluded to that fact around the time it was happening. Remember there were all sorts of rumours like they sent him up to Brisbane because he wasn't fit and that GWS had signed him. I know I go on and on about it but I'll forever scratch my head on this one. How a player of his capabilities became redundant in the game is beyond me.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #73

No it's not, you can most certainly be elite one year and not the next. He was certainly elite in the second half of 2009 (most B & F votes) and for the entire 2010 season.

I disagree. I don't think you can be elite 1 year and below average for a large chunk of your career.

Can you be elite for half a year? A month? 1 game? 1 quarter?? Where is the boundary.

No doubt JR played well and was very valuable to our side in that year. Was woewodin an elite footballer? No. Did he have a good year? Yes. Ditto JR.

Reply #74
You don't play elite football for over a season if you don't have what it takes. So from my perspective, there is your benchmark. Challenged Judd in the B & F and owned players like Stevie Johnson on a regular basis whilst cutting them up going the other way. Ragdolled Ryan O'Keefe in an Elimination Final. That's plenty for me. If not for you so be it.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!