Skip to main content
Topic: 2015-Rnd 2 West Coast vs Carlton (Read 69978 times) previous topic - next topic

What We Learnt From Round 1 - The Other AFL Matches

Reply #45
You still need forwards to capitalise on the huge amount of work done up the ground.  I wonder if stay at home types might have some value... Mark and kick isnt glamourous but it works.

Let blokes like Jamison and Watson unload longs kicks off the HBF / Wing to one out power forwards and it works.

But if you spend 5 minutes getting the ball from the back pocket around the boundary line to the wing first it doesn't! ;)

I think MMs game plan is flawed.
The Force Awakens!

Re: What We Learnt From Round 1 - The Other AFL Matches

Reply #46
Is it only me or was it like watching a replay of several of last years games.

: We fly out of the blocks, miss several easy shots, and go in 2-3 goals up instead of 4-6.

:opposition starts running, we throw numbers behind the ball and dont score.

:through weight of numbers the dam wall breaks and we get flogged

;Last quarter go man-on-man, make a comeback and we are a bit stiff.

MM said you set your game plan to the players you have, if that is true who is capable of playing the Josh Gibson, Nick Maxwell role at Carlton of being the Third,/loose/plus one or whatever you want to call them, we do not have one, but he keeps having one who has a sore neck from watching the ball go over his head!

The whole football world , with the exception of MM, now understands that you have to kick a winning score.

Every successful team has 2,3, or 4 runners, we played one, Yarram (simpson doesn't run much anymore) who is very good but shut him down and we have no-one.

What happened to the defensive half forward role, that seems to have gone, Houli had a field day.

The supposed problem for Jones at the doggies was he is not a key target player but at the blues with Casboult and Henderson around him he would be OK, SO we dont play Levi, we put Jones at CHF and he is exactly the same flop he was at the doggies.

We have been badly beaten and whilst MM made excuses, "we new Jacksh wasnt big enough (then why play him), we only expected smith to play a 1/4 (thats why they are called subs in case of injury), we have lost 3 out of 4 of our major goal kickers of the past 4 years" ( we for various reasons let them all go) then decided that the greatest concern was HIS contract, not for him of course, but for the players and the other coaches.

Please spare me, MM would be very luck to get another coaching gig when he is finished at Carlton and whilst I would not neccessarily know, I cannot think of one of the assistants who gets enough praise that other clubs would be targeting them.

Armfield has faults, but he is quick and has a go, they recruited Tutt for his speed play him, dont think about Ellard (I bet they do), Toohey has had no impact on a game now for over a year, drop him or put him in a spot to make a difference, no numbers behind the ball beat your opponent.

We have a good record in Perth and West Coast aren't much, we can win!

Reply #47
We haven't been able to improve the leadership qualities of our players

Reply #48
Leaders are born not made.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #49
Leaders are born not made.

We don't understand leadership well enough to make a statement like that but regardless, you absolutely can improve the leadership qualities you have.

Reply #50
For some reason ( and I have nothing to back it up) Cripps presents himself as a player with genuine leadership qualities that could be worked on.  X factor.

Reply #51
Was thinking about round one again today. Over the last few years, we have drafted a number of players to "improve" our list and hopefully our fortunes. Many (including me) were/are saying this is great as it creates competition for spots. But does it? I wonder if it has instead created a team of individuals who week after week go into self preservation mode. It was evident again last Thurs  On game day, we just don't do any of the team things well, we don't player for each other, the jumper or the coach. Thoughts?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #52
Was thinking about round one again today. Over the last few years, we have drafted a number of players to "improve" our list and hopefully our fortunes. Many (including me) were/are saying this is great as it creates competition for spots. But does it? I wonder if it has instead created a team of individuals who week after week go into self preservation mode. It was evident again last Thurs  On game day, we just don't do any of the team things well, we don't player for each other, the jumper or the coach. Thoughts?

If that is true GTC you are describing classic symptoms of poor or non-existent leadership.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #53

That's not a bad theory at all....but does it help when your coach labels you the best thing since sliced bread in the lead up to the season? I'm talking about Liam Jones.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #54
That's not a bad theory at all....but does it help when your coach labels you the best thing since sliced bread in the lead up to the season? I'm talking about Liam Jones.
I can understand a coach pumping up the tyres of a young fella who has plenty of potential but is down on confidence and self belief. My main point is our players are mentally (a physically) weak (from a drive, competitive and determination point of view), its a culture that will take a long time to weed out and change.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #55
I can understand a coach pumping up the tyres of a young fella who has plenty of potential but is down on confidence and self belief. My main point is our players are mentally (a physically) weak (from a drive, competitive and determination point of view), its a culture that will take a long time to weed out and change.

Fair point, but I think a great coach can turn this kind of thing around with what he has, rather than blowing a massive hole in the list.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #56
Unfortunately, Thursday night told one story, but over the weekend watching Betts and Garlett kicking goals, Sam Jacobs taking grabs all around the ground,  and Laidler getting 22 touches off halfback just added to the plot.  We are miles away from being truly competitive against the top teams, and seem to be heading backwards.

Our list management for the past few years has been nothing short of deplorable.  Not only do we struggle to recruit good players, but we also struggle to retain them. 

Wake me up in 5 years......

talk to the previous administration about that...

Re: 2015 AFL Season - Rnd 2 West Coast vs Carlton

Reply #57

Jones isnt a push and shove merchant and that means he has to take the speccy over the back or make a decent lead which relies on good delivery...the latter is an issue because we
dont use the ball well like the top teams and marking from behind is low percentage option.
He needs instruction on how to work his opponent off the ball and use his size better...look like he has had no instruction at the bulldogs at all......
I'd rather pay Fev to come back and work with the kid on his weak areas, Fev can teach Casboult how to kick as well....

With Jaksch injured we can go back to more regular set ups as per last year. Jammo, Rowe key defence positions, Henderson, Casboult forward, latter rucking, with Jones as 3rd tall where he's better suited. Jones ciould be dangerous there.

Wood in the ruck. Might win less taps but we may win the clearances still. Wood will take more marks than Nic Nat too. That's more important to me.

Reply #58
This week...

OUT

Thomas injured

Jaksch injured

Smith not ready

Touhy really needs to be dropped

Curnow needs to be dropped

IN

Casboult back

Whiley in

Tutt in

Buckley?

Boakhorst?

Really missing Walker in particular. After that we're scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Reply #59
Levi, Buckley ,Whiley, Tutt, and find some space for Armfield if he is up to the challenge. Thomas out, Curnow out and any 3 other lazy efforts. Just make some significant changes. Its a shame we don't have Garlett and Betts, because they could win this game off their own boot in this next match. IMO only.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.