Skip to main content
Topic: 2015-Rnd 3 Carlton vs Essendon (Read 72334 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2015-Rnd 3 Carlton vs Essendon

Reply #120
Graham, Boekhorst, Walker, Cripps and Buckley as minimum inclusions. Big game at the G, lets see what you can do (Walker aside).

I would bring in Watson for Jones, but wont happen.

Holman to get a taste maybe. I am really hoping Walsh can provide some grunt and leadership soon.

Outs: White, Curnow, Tutt, Ellard... One from Bell, Carrazzo, Smith

Your ins could add a bit, particularly Watson for Jones.  Smith definitely needs some time to work on his fitness and to pick up the tempo of the game at AFL level - back to the NBs for him.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #121
It all starts in the midfield and cheats.com.au have a 'big' midfield. Our midfield is scrawny. Hiding looming.

We have only two bigger bodies in the midfield - Dinger and Cripps. Judd is an extractor.

Then look at the rest of our midfield/on-ballers - Gibbs, Simpson, Murphy, Tutt, Smith, Graham, Curnow, Thomas, Ellard, Carrazzo - all lightweights against midfields that have been growing in size and strength for a few years now (and we recruit a Rookworst (sorry mate) as a mature pick who is 7 kgs wringing wet!!!). And we lost a real wrecking ball at the contest in Robbo, although in many people's opinions he had to go, who came in to replace this level of commitment and mongrel? No-one. Surely we can all remember times when the game was slipping away from us and Robbo would do something sacrificial that lifted his team mates... do we have any bloke now at the club who has this instinct (as identified by Parko)?

I am beginning to believe it is not our forward line or backline that is the problem but rather a feeble midfield.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #122
It all starts in the midfield and cheats.com.au have a 'big' midfield. Our midfield is scrawny. Hiding looming.

We have only two bigger bodies in the midfield - Dinger and Cripps. Judd is an extractor.

Then look at the rest of our midfield/on-ballers - Gibbs, Simpson, Murphy, Tutt, Smith, Graham, Curnow, Thomas, Ellard, Carrazzo - all lightweights against midfields that have been growing in size and strength for a few years now (and we recruit a Rookworst (sorry mate) as a mature pick who is 7 kgs wringing wet!!!). And we lost a real wrecking ball at the contest in Robbo, although in many people's opinions he had to go, who came in to replace this level of commitment and mongrel? No-one. Surely we can all remember times when the game was slipping away from us and Robbo would do something sacrificial that lifted his team mates... do we have any bloke now at the club who has this instinct (as identified by Parko)?

I am beginning to believe it is not our forward line or backline that is the problem but rather a feeble midfield.
Unfortunately for us, their win against Hawthorn the other day is gong to convince them that they can win from anywhere. It might be just the drugs talking, but confidence is a fickle thing. They have it at the moment. We do not.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #123
@ Baggers

Our midfield has been a problem for years Baggers. That weakness has just been overshadowed in recent times by some of our other problems.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #124

I don't think our midfield is scrawny. Quite the opposite really. Bell, Cripps, Carrots, Murph, Gibbs, all are big
bodied. What we are is one paced and slow.

Eat more chooks

Reply #125
It all went pear shaped, in the first instance, in the ruck last Friday.

Wood was smashed and yes the stats do lie.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #126

I think MM knows and would agree  with the above and thats why a semiskilled player like Bell gets plenty of gametime despite turning the ball over, I'd be betting we will
go a couple of big mids in the next draft period..

Reply #127
I think MM knows and would agree  with the above and thats why a semiskilled player like Bell gets plenty of gametime despite turning the ball over, I'd be betting we will
go a couple of big mids in the next draft period..

I think you'll find Bell's disposal efficiency is better than the team's average and is one of Malthouse's less pressing problems.

We desperately need to add blokes to our midfield rotation and they need to be big and hard at it.  We picked up big bodied midfielders at the last couple of drafts and we need to see them doing the business in navy blue.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #128
I think you'll find Bell's disposal efficiency is better than the team's average and is one of Malthouse's less pressing problems.

We desperately need to add blokes to our midfield rotation and they need to be big and hard at it.  We picked up big bodied midfielders at the last couple of drafts and we need to see them doing the business in navy blue.

DJ....watched Mick take bell off the ground after two holding the ball frees and you could see him telling Bell to handball..his stats might be better than the team
average but he turns the ball over too much for me and at important times....

Reply #129
DJ....watched Mick take bell off the ground after two holding the ball frees and you could see him telling Bell to handball..his stats might be better than the team
average but he turns the ball over too much for me and at important times....

Yes, but to his credit he does get the ball so that he can turn it over  ;)

Reply #130
Bell, Curnow, White, Smith, Ellard and Curnow - all should be dropped.

Also, Jamo and Simpson really should be dropped. Both horribly out of form. Jamo is a cancer. Panics at the earliest opportunity and it spreads through the team. Just can't carry players like this. He's psychologically shot.

The guy is in the leadership team. What does that tell you about the makeup of our list.

Reply #131
I keep hearing how Bell has this massive body and that this is the future.  Yes, the future (and the present) belongs to big bodied mids like Watson, Pendles, Dangerfield, Barlow, Mundy, Fyfe, Kennedy, Lewis etc etc but they bring other things to the table besides mass.  Being big doesn't make you an elite midfielder.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #132
Yes, but to his credit he does get the ball so that he can turn it over  ;)

Like a goalie I used to watch in another life long ago. He used to let plenty get past him but he was like lightening in retrieving the ball from the back of the net. Nickname was " Careless Hands".
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #133
I hope the 2 days extra rest helps our lads.

Peptides have had 4 fade outs in the last 4 games (including last 2 in 2014). But against the Hawks they won, other 3 games they gave up leads over 30 points.

Problem I see is that we only play the first quarter. Maybe if we only play the last quarter we might be a chance this week?  :P