Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 8: Post Game Euphoria!: Carlton vs Port Adelaide (Read 36464 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 8: Post Game Euphoria!: Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #135
True enough about Rowe, but it's finding weiters and plowman that is the key to releasing him BACK forward, just a pity that he won't have Levi to team with.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #136
True enough about Rowe, but it's finding weiters and plowman that is the key to releasing him BACK forward, just a pity that he won't have Levi to team with.

or Kreuzer.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #137
Rowe will have to ruck again this week...probably assisting Cam Wood, was a part time ruckman for Norwood so he
isnt a complete novice...

Can we get Wood upgraded?  Also he didn't play this past week for Northern (unless I am mistaken) so is he fit to go?

Re: Rd 8: Post Game _______: Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #138
I loved seeing the emotion from Simmo. This game meant so much. Even Gibbs looked a bit red-eyed when speaking to Mooney after the game.
After jumping around my lounge room I litterally sat on my couch and wept a little bit haha. That was just amazing.
Up until 2013 I hadn't had a number on my Guernsey since number 43 when I was ten. The night before we played Richmond in the final I ironed on the number 6. Absolutely love Simmo. Heart and soul blue bagger!!

Great to see this post.
I was loving Gibbs during the game, and his emotion, especially for Simmo, after the game. A highlight for me.
I too was a bit misty eyed at the end of the game.

Reply #139
From Wiki, re Rowe's time at Norwood:

Kicked 6.1 against Sturt in one game, a few other bags of 4:

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/team_info.cgi?player=Sam%20Rowe&action=PSTATS&pID=190810149&client=1-3289-0-103282-10028550

Well I'll be......
only a couple of weeks ago I mentioned trying Sam up front, remembering him getting on the end of a couple while playing down back.
He was a beautiful kick at goal and looked really oblivious to what was going on around him - fully focused and accurate.
I had no idea he had this string to his bow, albeit a while ago.
What are we waiting for?? (oh that's right, we've run out of big guys up front, down back, and in the ruck... bugger)

thanks for the link FB
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #140
Bryce Gibbs roars into AFLCPA top 10

AFLCA leaderboard
43 Patrick Dangerfield (Geel) (26)
39 Joel Selwood (Geel) (28)
37 Todd Goldstein (NM)  (28)
37 Jack Viney (Melb)  (22)
36 Tom Lynch (GC)  (23)
34 Luke Parker (Syd)  (23)
32 Rory Sloane (Adel)  (26)
30 Bryce Gibbs (Carl) (27)
30 Dan Hannebery (Syd) )26)
29 Lance Franklin (Syd)  (29)

Reply #141
Gibbs AFLCPA votes

Man, he's in very classy company - gotta love that
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #142
It's interesting that there has been a lot of discussion on our rebuild and the associated need to get a solid defence into place on which we could then build. This has started in a very promising way with Weitering and Plowman coming in and together with Sam Rowe currently identified as an important member. Jamo remember  has been really struggling

I'm a bit puzzled therefore that we now want to start unraveling and unsettling it by moving Sam elsewhere at the first sight of injuries. As Murph said today, we are currently more concerned with building for the future and playing to and perfecting our system? Surely a major disruption such as this to our defence to cover injuries elsewhere would run counter to that objective?

We need to try and cover our injuries first and foremost from whatever depth we have available in those areas not rob areas where we seem to have established something promising. Sam's exploits at his previous clubs I say are not that important to us atm as we really need him to continue in the role he is currently performing for us. The need we had for him to move on Sun was an emergency one-off rather than something we necessarily want to do on an on going basis.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #143
It's interesting that there has been a lot of discussion on our rebuild and the associated need to get a solid defence into place on which we could then build. This has started in a very promising way with Weitering and Plowman coming in and together with Sam Rowe currently identified as an important member. Jamo remember  has been really struggling

I'm a bit puzzled therefore that we now want to start unraveling and unsettling it by moving Sam elsewhere at the first sight of injuries. As Murph said today, we are currently more concerned with building for the future and playing to and perfecting our system? Surely a major disruption such as this to our defence to cover injuries elsewhere would run counter to that objective?

We need to try and cover our injuries first and foremost from whatever depth we have available in those areas not rob areas where we seem to have established something promising. Sam's exploits at his previous clubs I say are not that important to us atm as we really need him to continue in the role he is currently performing for us. The need we had for him to move on Sun was an emergency one-off rather than something we necessarily want to do on an on going basis.

If our many players playing many roles system is on track we can start either Jaksch or Rowe forward or back, and it shouldn't matter.

That's if we don't need Rowe to ruck.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #144
Bryce Gibbs roars into AFLCPA top 10

AFLCA leaderboard
43 Patrick Dangerfield (Geel) (26)
39 Joel Selwood (Geel) (28)
37 Todd Goldstein (NM)  (28)
37 Jack Viney (Melb)  (22)
36 Tom Lynch (GC)  (23)
34 Luke Parker (Syd)  (23)
32 Rory Sloane (Adel)  (26)
30 Bryce Gibbs (Carl) (27)
30 Dan Hannebery (Syd) )26)
29 Lance Franklin (Syd)  (29)

It's a shame Goldy's in there, now that we have no real ruckmen. He should have a day out.

Reply #145
If our many players playing many roles system is on track we can start either Jaksch or Rowe forward or back, and it shouldn't matter.

That's if we don't need Rowe to ruck.

Big if. Most of what I hear says that it is still very much a WIP.

Rowe may well ultimately HAVE to ruck but as I said we shouldn't be jumping to that solution without looking at other options first. Get creative as BB is so fond of saying.  ;)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #146
Rowe is a lot stronger and a lot more experienced than the last time he was up forward. All that time down back using his body to hold out his opponent and take a simple mark there in the last qtr just came naturally to him. It was like he marked it and then realised what he'd just done.

Only a snapshot but such a positive sign. Weitering, Plowman, Simpson, Docherty, Byrne & Touhy in the backline might look a bit small but leaves Rowe to fill in up forward while Cas is out.

Reply #147
Big if. Most of what I hear says that it is still very much a WIP.

Rowe may well ultimately HAVE to ruck but as I said we shouldn't be jumping to that solution without looking at other options first. Get creative as BB is so fond of saying.  ;)

Of course Cookie, but occasionally sometimes these things are forced onto you.

The true test of it is how everyone responds to it, not necessarily what is done to mitigate things.

Provided everyone gains something from the exercise, then no matter how many times we move players around, its simply an effort of ongoing education and developement.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #148
Rowe is a lot stronger and a lot more experienced than the last time he was up forward. All that time down back using his body to hold out his opponent and take a simple mark there in the last qtr just came naturally to him. It was like he marked it and then realised what he'd just done.

Only a snapshot but such a positive sign. Weitering, Plowman, Simpson, Docherty, Byrne & Touhy in the backline might look a bit small but leaves Rowe to fill in up forward while Cas is out.

You could put Jaksch in defence too. Or White.

Reply #149

Bolton is very strong on players being able to play more than one role and I suspect that using Rowe to cover for Casboult could be more than just an in-game move.  The fact that it worked so well will have Bolton thinking seriously about it for the next few weeks, particularly with Kreuzer and Casboult out.

While I would prefer to see Rowe in defence, he may find the North forwards a little too agile and could be better value as a key forward and back-up ruckman.  We certainly don't have players in the NBs demanding a game as a key forward, key defender and/or ruckman.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball