Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 23: Post Game Reflection: Carlton vs Essendon (Read 24117 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 23: Post Game Reflection: Carlton vs Essendon

Reply #90
if you were a young player wanting to join a Melbourne club, and you watched that lame effort yesterday, why would you want to play with the Princes Park boys?

How Bolton did nothing to counter the huge flood they were employing and stopping the long bomb to Levi in a pack of 20 players staggers me.....

I am not sure what tactics Bolton did try, I am also not sure which tactics were tried and failed, and the players who could not implement them. If you're not privileged to inside the box information, I doubt you'll know, however I doubt Bolton told the players to bomb it to the packs. We know we have players on this list that simply will not run hard enough the other way, combine this will a lack of ability, football smarts and desire - hey presto, we have yesterday's result.

If Bolton used the game as an evaluation and learning opportunity (not much use for anything else), I have no problem with that. If we'd been victorious yesterday, what would we have won again? Many are bleating about the fact it's Essendon - this is a relic from the past, we have to change our mindset and see they are simply another game and like any other club. We need to be clinical in our planning, implementation and game day execution, that's when the club starts to truly rise up the ladder - that and the addition and maturing of talent.

Reply #91
I am not sure what tactics Bolton did try, I am also not sure which tactics were tried and failed, and the players who could not implement them. If you're not privileged to inside the box information, I doubt you'll know, however I doubt Bolton told the players to bomb it to the packs. We know we have players on this list that simply will not run hard enough the other way, combine this will a lack of ability, football smarts and desire - hey presto, we have yesterday's result.

If Bolton used the game as an evaluation and learning opportunity (not much use for anything else), I have no problem with that. If we'd been victorious yesterday, what would we have won again? Many are bleating about the fact it's Essendon - this is a relic from the past, we have to change our mindset and see they are simply another game and like any other club. We need to be clinical in our planning, implementation and game day execution, that's when the club starts to truly rise up the ladder - that and the addition and maturing of talent.

I agree completely that these territorial battles are a thing of the past, and that winning and playing good footy should be a given against all comers. The thing that irritates me most this season is the binary nature of our team - they're either on, or they're off, and there's nothing in between. When they finally wake up (usually in the 4th), it's too late.

Reply #92
To bolton ,why do we kick the ball long or bomb it into our fwd line ,only to watch ess spoil and then they run it out with ease to there open fwd line where there is space everwhere and then watch ess kick easy goals we are so PREDICTABLe,funny part is we fail in this game plan ,so bolts find are new game plan for 2017 .
i will say to you this wont happen next year.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #93
With dons getting ten players back with top draft picks brisbanes centre line returning and freo having a home ground advantage unless sos gets reall lucky in draft we are running up hill I can see 5 number one draft picks running around

Reply #94
Port Adelaide midfield was dominant until he got his hands on them.  (Do you know Rick??)

They seem to speak the same broken english?  ;)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #95
Voss had a poor team and nil experience he would make an excellent assistant he knows how to win

Voss was crap. Remember Brisbane finals in his first year then went backwards big time. been no good since. He's a $hit coach.

Reply #96

Why (none of this aimed at you spf)?  Why do we have such players on our list?  Who recruited them?  Why have they been retained?  Did we perform our due diligence with fitness tests and discover they have problems with O2 deficiencies and lactic acid build up after comparatively short bursts of exercise?  Or are they just lazy?  No doubt it's a combination of all the factors mentioned above.  Take E. Curnow as an example. The guy can run all day but can't kick or handball and has next to no footy 'nouse'. Pathetic on field leadership (Simmo aside) is another massive problem. We have been so inept in so many areas for so long it's embarrassing.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #97
To bolton ,why do we kick the ball long or bomb it into our fwd line ,only to watch ess spoil and then they run it out with ease to there open fwd line where there is space everwhere and then watch ess kick easy goals we are so PREDICTABLe,funny part is we fail in this game plan ,so bolts find are new game plan for 2017 .

I don't think this is a tactic, but rather a symptom of the fact that our forwards don't work hard enough. Not enough manoeuvring to get space, lack of repeated leading and all very predictable.
It's been up to Jack since he came in, to show the more senior guys how to do it. Unfortunately they either don't pay attention or are too lazy.

Reply #98
it all goes back to the midfield/ruck. if we are asleep there we get belted, we use the ball too slowly and by the time we move it into F50 there are 16 opposition shutting everything down.....

Bolton had no Plan B again on Saturday - that was the most disturbing aspect for me....

That said with Murphy back, a new mid or 2 on the list, our midfield should be a lot stronger in 2017.

Would like Kerridge played HFF too.

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #99
I was at the game and from what I could see the Bummers just  out hassled us and out pressured us leading to the usual skill errors, mistakes and turnovers. We were thus left exposed  and  duly punished. Same story for any team that we allow to serve it up to us.

Reply #100
These mental lapses have been happening for a while, even when we were playing finals in 2009-2013. We would get a a couple of good wins then put in a shocker against a lower side. It's why we haven't been a real contender for over 15 years.

We need another reset! Reset the reset.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #101
These mental lapses have been happening for a while, even when we were playing finals in 2009-2013. We would get a a couple of good wins then put in a shocker against a lower side. It's why we haven't been a real contender for over 15 years.

We need another reset! Reset the reset.
[/quote

Spot on mate. Even during the year we got up to 5th when Ratten was in charge, we always did well for two games, really well, and as soon as the media talked us up we lost. No mental backbone. It was great to watch when Ratten was there, almost like watching Kevin Keegan's Newcastle in the mid 90s, real swag buckling attack. Except we had a crap defence. The game plan was simply to overrun the opposition. Not ideal for finals.

And now we have a squad with way less talent.

Don't worry mate, the reset was pressed last year. I'm looking forward to finals footy, praying someone, ANYONE humiliates Hawthorn and that we have an excellent trade period.

To be honest, one of my concerns is what appears to be a lack of game day technical nouance by Bolton. The Bombers game was a great example.
Keep the Faith

Reply #102
We haven't completed the current "reset", or whatever word you want to use, yet and so I don't think we could have reasonably expected much different from what actually unfolded this year.

Like it or not it will take more time to complete the kind of root and branch changes that are needed. Yes we still experienced a few bad on field lapses but I will reserve further comment on the present regime until I see what happens in the draft and trade periods and who gets retained and who gets moved on.

Reply #103
Mick said process, Bolt say's reset.

I would prefer an old fashioned clean out.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #104
The clean out is on. I counted 15 could go, but that Can't happen, so expect some spuds to remain on the list for one more year. Hopefully they are pushed into the 35-42 category.

The lapses are right. I mentioned to Tribey Melbourne remind me of Carlton circa 2010 when a game is on the line or meant something, they would disintegrate. Hence the club hasn't won 5 in a row since 2001...... 15 years..

"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset