Skip to main content
Topic: AFL 2023 Semi Final Carlton vs Melbourne at the MCG (Read 8585 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL 2023 Semi Final Carlton vs Melbourne at the MCG

Reply #45
There is a difference between getting hit in the head.
....and hitting your head.

Decades ago i think it was Scott Lucas who literally walked up to our defender (Bret Thornton?) and were face to face talking then lucas lowered his head and headbutted his chest. He was awarded a free kick for high contact. Thornton literally stood there while the guy walked over and headbutted him....and got penalised for it.

That is the same as what you are saying.
Head high contact was made in both instances.
Head high contact was due to the 'aggressor/tackler' in both instances.

Nobody is doubting Newmans head was hit.
But if you run into a brick wall.....you can't blame the brick wall if you hit your head in the process.
Pffft, don't try and tell me I'm saying something I'm not. Aggressive tackler, please.
You seem to be are laying blame on Newman for trying to apply a legitimate tackle and in the process getting a high hit. (and more specifically his jaw). He should not try and tackle because the "brick wall" has a right to clean you up for doing so. No duty of care? I get the feeling you are trying to suggest Newman was leading with his head? If that's the case then you and I see things far differently than I first thought
Dusty was using high fend offs for years before the AFL started to penalise him for it. At least he wasn't causing any serious damage. 

Reply #46
Just another one on this.
Should Pittonet go for his 'high hit' on Heeney? Heeney went to tackle him and copped his shoulder straight into his head and went down holding it. FYI, 17minutes to go in the 3rd.

Yes, Laura Kane should step in and refer Pitto to the tribunal.  You can't have footy actions that re-arrange a player's nose  ::) 
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #47
Motlop in for Martin and Dow as sub seems reasonable...presume Jack will come in for Harry if fit.

Martin's hard to replace as he plays tall and small. 

Reply #48
Pffft, don't try and tell me I'm saying something I'm not. Aggressive tackler, please.
You seem to be are laying blame on Newman for trying to apply a legitimate tackle and in the process getting a high hit. (and more specifically his jaw). He should not try and tackle because the "brick wall" has a right to clean you up for doing so. No duty of care? I get the feeling you are trying to suggest Newman was leading with his head? If that's the case then you and I see things far differently than I first thought
Dusty was using high fend offs for years before the AFL started to penalise him for it. At least he wasn't causing any serious damage.

Only one of us is laying blame on someone and its not me.

All i'm saying is footy is a contact sport and in contact sports there is.....wait for it....contact. Some of which is incidental/accidental. Nobody is to blame. Its just footy.

Reply #49
I've tipped us this week. Feel if Melbourne turn up and play the garbage they produced last Friday, irrespective of the 7pt margin, we'll have a decent enough win.

Reply #50
Van Rooyen got one week.  Martin's wasn't worse.

We should appeal.  Worst result should be downgraded to one week.

Yes, if we get over this week, and I reckon we can, we'd need him badly the next week.

2 weeks, Christian could not be serious. Medium impact at worst, which is a week. Could live with that.

Reply #51
Yes, if we get over this week, and I reckon we can, we'd need him badly the next week.

2 weeks, Christian could not be serious. Medium impact at worst, which is a week. Could live with that.
Yep, should aim for medium impact. I can't see anything else being downgraded.

Reply #52
Only one of us is laying blame on someone and its not me.
All i'm saying is footy is a contact sport and in contact sports there is.....wait for it....contact. Some of which is incidental/accidental. Nobody is to blame. Its just footy.
Seriously? Thanks for that insight.  The contact in our contact sport has been systematically removed by the AFL over a number of years. They've got some serious compensation pay-outs coming their way and they're trying to minimize the damage. Don't blame them really.
If Maynard goes there's one more "accident" that will get potentially eradicated from the game. How funny will it be when he gets off and our bloke misses 2 weeks for what he did. Hilarious.
Anyway, this feels like one of your endless ruck debates, so I'll sign of with this.

Reply #53
Seriously? Thanks for that insight.  The contact in our contact sport has been systematically removed by the AFL over a number of years. They've got some serious compensation pay-outs coming their way and they're trying to minimize the damage. Don't blame them really.
If Maynard goes there's one more "accident" that will get potentially eradicated from the game. How funny will it be when he gets off and our bloke misses 2 weeks for what he did. Hilarious.
Anyway, this feels like one of your endless ruck debates, so I'll sign of with this.

Take off the navy glasses mate. It will solve this 'debate problem' instantly.

Reply #54
Martin's hard to replace as he plays tall and small. 

Honey is more of a direct swap in that size regard but ability wise I prefer Motlop especially in an evening game where the ball may be on the deck more.

Reply #55
I thought Martin punched Blakey straight in the jaw..it's not a case of innocent or guilty it's more about how many weeks.
Maynards antics are not so cut and dry and it's intent vs a football act where accidents can happen.
Because Maynard has a tough guy reputation it has some more spice to it.
Melbourne especially their coach are not happy losing Brayshaw and want a suspension and Blakey wasn't happy either after having to come off.
My tip..Martin a week, with a carry over suspended week after appeal and Maynard will get off...

Reply #56
I thought Martin punched Blakey straight in the jaw..it's not a case of innocent or guilty it's more about how many weeks.
Maynards antics are not so cut and dry and it's intent vs a football act where accidents can happen.
Melbourne especially their coach are not happy losing Brayshaw and want a suspension and Blakey wasn't happy either after having to come off.
My tip..Martin a week, with a carry over suspended week after appeal and Maynard will get off...

Yes, I think Martin will just have a week at the end of it, and Maynard may well get off but will go all the way to the Appeal Board. Loser will appeal. In fast motion it certainly does look a footy act but depends how technical the actual rules are these days, especially with Maynard airborne and the shoulder collecting him. AFL really tightened their rules to protect the head, hence it is 50/50 IMO. If Maynard gets off, you can bet the rules will be tightened further.

Reply #57

I tend to see most of it the same.
Re Maynard, he seemed to jump longer rather than higher… like he really wanted to lay a hard “softening up” bump disguised as a tackle.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #58
Honey is more of a direct swap in that size regard but ability wise I prefer Motlop especially in an evening game where the ball may be on the deck more.
We have used Matt Kennedy in the past as a marking forward - I would bring him in ahead of Honey.  And obviously he can swing through the middle if needed.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #59
We have used Matt Kennedy in the past as a marking forward - I would bring him in ahead of Honey.  And obviously if can swing through the middle if needed.
Tonyo, Wasnt sure if he is fully fit but agree he is better than Honey and is a good choice vs the Dee's.