Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 15: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 45055 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 15: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #181
His record says otherwise.

He's a gun and has been from day one.
It's common for supporters of struggling clubs to get stuck into the better players, Gibbs copped it for years but he'd be very handy now.
Whitnall, Campo and Stevens copped heaps as well.
Judd seemed to be immune, and Cripps is headed that way.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #182
Bolton spoke about this very issue in his presser. Said we were behind on the scoreboard and it becomes a robbing Peter to pay Paul scenario if we try and tag too many.  He said there's little point in playing 2 or 3 taggers when we are trying to win a game of footy - trying to tag Beams, Zorko etc. doesn't help us score. We didn't see much that was good yesterday, but I think he understands tactics well enough.

Given the previous meetings I would have thought Beams and Zorko both required heavy tagging.........Beams is quality, if you let him get 40 possies you are probably not going to win the game.....agree you cant run 3-4 heavy tags but given how Brisbane setup and how they dont run that deep for talent we should have been better prepared for Beams and run the extra tagger on him...
Jim has commented on how we perform better when its a contested/congested game rather than a open field running type game with this zone defense setup and I think we just played into Brisbane and Beams hands by allowing him freedom to get out on his own....
A lot of our games seem lost before the ball is bounced both tactically and selection wise......

Reply #183
You can see whatever you like. There is a losing culture that is entrenched in our club, and with a few breaks in between, has been continuously entrenched for nearly 20 years. It's very difficult for kids to come in and try and turn that around.

The problem is bigger than the players. We have seen very similar efforts with Pagan, Malthouse, Barker, Brittain and Bolton. Different coaches, different players, different eras, but the song remains the same. Why do you think that is ? Sacking a coach every few years and bringing a truckload of new players every few years does not appear to be working in my book. Why do you think that different players and different coaches produce the same result ?

Been saying the same for years.

I was seen as 'pro-malthouse' because i tried to point out that the coach wasn't the problem. But no, he got the sack, like many before him, as we tried to paper over the cracks once again. Our PR department did wonders by making him out to be the sole problem at the club. What that did was bought us time, for the first time in our history. We've bought in and allowed a rebuild/reset to happen. We're still on board now. We may just pull ourselves out of it this time. We may not.

Having said that, McKay going is probably one of the last remaining pieces of the puzzle that saw our darkest ever era. Whether he should have any/all blame is up for debate, but a clean slate continues the 'reset' mantra.

We have more talent on the list now than ever. Hopefully the culture problem hasn't taken a hold of the latest bunch of players too. Otherwise this coach is gone too.

Reply #184
Malthouse wasn't the only problem, but he was certainly a problem, and had to go. The thing is, plenty of others should have gone with him.

Reply #185
Malthouse wasn't the only problem, but he was certainly a problem, and had to go. The thing is, plenty of others should have gone with him.
Regardless of everything else, which of our players is flying the flag?

To me Daisy looks beaten down and just about finished and he was one of our best yesterday. What does that say about the rest of them?

Samo had pure joy on his face when he kicked that early goal and tried his guts out all day but isn’t impacting enough.

Weiters looks severely depressed to me. What is going on there?

Fish is tireless in his efforts.

Is it merely the mid aged players bit providing enough? And making really stupid mistakes, that just then demoralises the side? So hard to know.

Reply #186
Malthouse was an arrogant old prick, it was a massive mistake to get him for a number of reasons but mainly that one!

Reply #188
There's no doubt our performance v Lions and Freo and probably North were poor. Poor from MC to in game tactics and effort. Conspiracy theorists might say they are 3 of the sh£; teams heading into the season. They might also add our poor performance v GC into the mix to support "lose the winnable for pick 1 theory". Interestingly they are somewhat scattered across rounds opposed to consecutively played.

In between we've had some q's of very good football. That's at times despite injuries or playing injured / under conditioned players. We've played many games without our captain and our list week-week has had more changes than a chameleon.  No captain, no A grader (I.e Gibbs), no AA. No consistent contingent of B graders with experience playing together (ffs even mullet O'Shea have been in - out). At it's simplest performance could reflect the fact that too much change will not produce positive outcomes. Place that in the context of a novice coach leading a club rebuild in a club that has never (stooped so low...) engaged in rebuild processes.

Yesterday's performance could also reflect what Lamb spoke of post game. He evidently lost several kilos being depleted of fluid. 》dehydration 》 lethargy 》 cardiovascular compromise  (heart rate elevates). Is this what also happened to Merchant? I have no idea but I do know that we've got flogged in Brisbane consistently for 3 4 5 years. The optimist in me says this years no different and the club acknowledged this will be the worst year of the rebuild.

The pessimist, however, says our club's hit an all time low. It will be intruiging to see how the club AND the AFL respond. Amen.
Look after yourselves bluebaggers. Whatever is going down is burdensome to even the most optimistic of us ^-^ :'(
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #189
Interesting take on Harry.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/07/08/andy-maher-sums-up-the-number-one-thing-frustrating-carlton-fans/
Simplistic view IMO, there is obviously something we're not aware of be it attitude, work rate or injury. I reckon it's a combination of all 3 and hopefully more towards the injury and work rate rather than attitude. While we have kids developing in the ones they all appear to have the right attitude, let's hope he finds the missing ingeredient soon as he no doubt has the talent.
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #190
Simplistic view IMO, there is obviously something we're not aware of be it attitude, work rate or injury. I reckon it's a combination of all 3 and hopefully more towards the injury and work rate rather than attitude. While we have kids developing in the ones they all appear to have the right attitude, let's hope he finds the missing ingeredient soon as he no doubt has the talent.

Hard to say. Not seeing alot of attitude on-field. If that's what they are asking of Harry then 90% of the side needs to be dropped.

Reply #191

Yep, I have to agree, an article which is more of an insight into Maher's desperation for some Carlton success than any real solution.

The Force Awakens!

Reply #192
Malthouse was an arrogant old prick, it was a massive mistake to get him for a number of reasons but mainly that one!
Bolton is a different personality and has a different style to Malthouse, but seems similarly fixated on an inflexible game plan that doesn't work.

Reply #193
Bolton is a different personality and has a different style to Malthouse, but seems similarly fixated on an inflexible game plan that doesn't work.

The game plan would work if he brought the Dawks list with him!

I'm far more impressed by coaches that work with and improve what they are given, than coaches who have a formulaic approach and renovate the environment/list to suit an existing plan!

That was MM's problem, he had one plan and needed the whole place turned on it's head to make it work! Even then it would have been a plan that all the opponents knew well, nothing innovative!

Dimma's success is a great example, his list hasn't changed much, but he changed even if it was just by getting himself and the other dud coaches out of the player's way!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #194
The game plan would work if he brought the Dawks list with him!

I'm far more impressed by coaches that work with and improve what they are given, than coaches who have a formulaic approach and renovate the environment/list to suit an existing plan!

That was MM's problem, he had one plan and needed the whole place turned on it's head to make it work! Even then it would have been a plan that all the opponents knew well, nothing innovative!

Dimma's success is a great example, his list hasn't changed much, but he changed even if it was just by getting himself and the other dud coaches out of the player's way!
I'd be content if Bolton would work with the list he has. But he doesn't and his game plan isn't right for where our playing group is at. We need to get the basics right and develop some fighting spirit by playing tight, competitive one on one footy. As a young team we will still get beaten in the contests, but I'd rather see them go down fighting than running around confused, uninterested and playing soft football.