Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 16: Pre Game Prattle: Carlton vs St Kilda (Read 36079 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 16: Pre Game Prattle: Carlton vs St Kilda

Reply #60
I know the odds are against us Prof but we have to show some spine and heart eventually....fingers crossed, we cant play as badly as vs Brisbane.
Saints are carp and weak with injuries too.....lose this week by a lot and the club will need to make some hard calls on its future.
This is backs to the wall stuff and we have to respond.....

Spot on, I thought that Freo was line in the sand time so we're a few weeks overdue.
If we don't show some fair dinkum fight this week the rumblings will be felt in Albury.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #61
Spot on, I thought that Freo was line in the sand time so we're a few weeks overdue.
If we don't show some fair dinkum fight this week the rumblings will be felt in Albury.

It is not our culture.

We are the kinder playgroup of the AFL.

After the game every body gets a gold star and hug before going home for some birdie num nums and to be tucked into bed!

There is more chance of us stopping the game for a risk assessment on a tackle than having a serious crack!

If any of our blokes look like amping it up they'd be booked into anger management Monday morning!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #62
It'll taste like red wine vinegar after Jack Stevens gets 35 (and kicks four), Ross 23 contested,  Billings runs amok,  Gresham kicks three in a quarter....

Agree.

I've lost all hope as we don't have the cattle to field a team capable of beating anyone with our current injuries to key players. The back up players are no where near ready.

If we play close to our best it will be a 1-4 goal loss. Turn up like we have at times this year and it will be a another hiding.

Reality is we have won 2 games in the last 25 matches :-[ and this very fact means our opposition would hate to be the team to lose to such a club so getting an upset in these times is now even harder. Essendon are still coping crap for dropping the game to us. Heppell said this week that the loss to Carlton forced them to review every aspect of their football department. That's what losing to Carlton these days does.

Our bottom six we have been forced to field are 'barely' VFL standard and cannot provide any impact at AFL level. Asking the remaining players to carry 1/3 of the team makes winning near impossible....till we have the cattle to field a full team of AFL ready players a close loss is all we can hope for.

IMO our next win wont be till next season which means we will likely to finish the year as 2 wins from the last 33 matches.  And the donkeys running this organisation come out and publicly say we don't need a priority pick.

Insane.

Reply #63
Get on us this week Cookie and save a glass of that red to toast the lads at the end of the game.....went to a little winery called Hanrahans in the Yarra Valley where they do a nice Shiraz, going to have one ready to go when I return home victorious on Friday...well thats the plan anyway... :P :-X

Well we can hope EB. Personally I'm not optimistic but I will certainly enjoy the wine come what may.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #65

Surely we have heaps that we can delist

If we are to catch up, it appears we should have done the deal with players from other clubs months ago!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #66
Like Gowers or Holman?

...and the other 30 that have gone in the same time??

We've picked up other clubs delistees over the same period too.

FWIW, i'd take Wright over those 2 any day of the week.

Reply #67
...and the other 30 that have gone in the same time??

We've picked up other clubs delistees over the same period too.

FWIW, i'd take Wright over those 2 any day of the week.

At the time we got Wright I'd agree but not now...Wrights form has slipped and Gowers is young, strong and on the up, need to see more of Holman...

Reply #68

Surely we have heaps that we can delist
Define 'heaps'.

Given we are wanting to ADD senior players to our list, delisting senior players for senior players is probably not going to solve a lot. Not too many kids are available to be delisted.
FWIW here are the players we know our out of contract this year.
[glow=maroon,2,300]6 Kade Simpson 2018[/glow] - Keep if he is willing.
[glow=maroon,2,300]39 Dale Thomas 2018[/glow] - Keep if he is willing.
[glow=maroon,2,300]17 Sam Rowe 2018[/glow] - Keep
[glow=maroon,2,300]33 Jarrod Pickett 2018[/glow] - Keep
[glow=maroon,2,300]36 Pat Kerr 2018[/glow] - Keep
[glow=maroon,2,300]46 Matthew Wright 2018[/glow] - I'd probably keep
[glow=maroon,2,300]11 Sam Kerridge 2018[/glow] - Would any replacement on him be an upgrade? 50-50 i think
[glow=maroon,2,300]13 Jed Lamb 2018[/glow] - Given the above, probably gone
[glow=maroon,2,300]32 Nick Graham 2018[/glow] - Lucky to have got this year, hasn't improved, gone.

The following players i cannot get a definitive contractual status on. May be contracted, may not.  :-\
7 Matthew Kennedy - Keep
16 Darcy Lang - Keep, at least give him a pre-season to see what he can do.
18 Aaron Mullett - Delist
24 Cam O'Shea - Delist
27 Matthew Lobbe - Delist

and all 5 rookies can go IMO.

So not including rookies, i think we could MAYBE get 6 out. I'm tipping we will get at least 1 or 2 via trade (free agency/delisted free agent) which means we might have 4 picks.
If we trade pick 1 for 2 picks (or 1 pick and a player) we'll end up with less picks.

Currently we have pick 1, 23 and 26 (68, 73)

How many do you think we would/should ditch? Thoughts on my delisted list?

Reply #69
At the time we got Wright I'd agree but not now...Wrights form has slipped and Gowers is young, strong and on the up, need to see more of Holman...

Wright has won a leading goalkicker award at the club. Granted, not much to beat, but what have the others done of any significance?

Reply #70

I think Holman would be a good get. An upgrade on a few of ours....

He's a great size, seemingly robust, hard at it and a tackling machine (averaging 6 a game). Also, physically mature at 23.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #71
The number one problem is our woeful list, we've got about half a dozen tops who would even make Richmond's list let alone get a game for them.
Cripps and Charlie would get a game at any side, then you struggle.

Shaun Grigg gets a game at Richmond.
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #72
We've got an Irish kid on the rookie list who won't be getting delisted, LeBois actually has some talent so is probably worth another year to see if he can build his stats.
Given that Phillips is made of bubble gum we'll need a back up ruckman so Lobbe gets another year, I think that we drafted him anyway so that's two years regardless.
Graham isn't up to scratch but neither are Kerridge or Lamb, we certainly don't need all three.
Alex Silvagni will probably retire, Rowe should probably retire as well, Casboult is contracted.
Jack Silvagni, Cunningham, Macredie and Polson have big question marks against their names.
8 or 10 changes again minimum I reckon.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #73
Shaun Grigg gets a game at Richmond.

200 or thereabouts.
That was just a shocking call on our part, like playing Warnock and Hampson ahead of Jacobs.
There's a bit of Grigg in Holman actually.

Reply #74
I think Holman would be a good get. An upgrade on a few of ours....

He's a great size, seemingly robust, hard at it and a tackling machine (averaging 6 a game). Also, physically mature at 23.

In fairness to the club, you cannot have Holman in the midfield with Cripps, Kennedy and Ed Curnow, we are already treacle slow and Holman would make things even worse, add SoJ to that list in the future and Carlton leg speed is looking like The Blue Rose! Anyway that ship has sailed.

The point wasn't to get types like that, it was more about getting blokes like Lang and Smedts while letting these guys go! It's pointless, the replacements are at best more of the same, not particularly moving forward are we!

We have metaphorically tossed a coin hoping for something other than a head or a tail, or at least it seems that way!
The Force Awakens!