Skip to main content
Topic: The Zuton factor - Pressure pressure pressure pressure pressure pressure (Read 3595 times) previous topic - next topic
Lods and 20 Guests are viewing this topic.

Re: The Zuton factor - Pressure pressure pressure pressure pressure pressure

Reply #15
Fogarty is number 1 at Carlton for forward 50 pressure, number 1 in the AFL for forward 50 tackles and number 1 at Carlton for score assists.
This stuff is completely missed by TV viewers, and game callers, because it all happens well off the footy not even within the side on camera field of view most of the time. You basically have to be at the ground with a wide field view and not be ball watching to see it happen, much of it only really visible in replays from behind the goals.

It's why players like Owies, Cottrell, Fogarty and Boyd are so heavily favoured by coaches while being whipped by many fans.

You know when the opposition find space in our D50, it's not the fault of Plowman, Weiters, Youing, McGovern or Newman, although they cop the brunt of the fan ire because the fans see the end result. The cause is because some utility, SF or wing hasn't pushed hard to run into the available space well ahead of the contest. This was one of the reasons why I was a critic of Motlop, fans love him because in camera they see him chase, tackle, and use the footy. But it's what he wasn't doing when the ball was far away that was the real problem.

Much of it is summarised by those coaching tips from Hodge to young players on the field, "You push there, don't watch from here, you go into that space when the contest is over there!"
The Force Awakens!

Reply #16
We miss Fogarty.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #17
We miss Fogarty.

We do.
But what's also missing across the board is that defensive attack on the ball and the player in possession  that saw us with two players in  just about every tackle after the turn around last year. Fogarty was a big part of that.  Effort and pressure have slackened off.
Maybe the players subconsciously thought that once they found that intensity it would just remain without having to work for it.
They need to re-find it or the season will be gone.

Reply #18
Fogarty's rebirth has been based on work ethic and doing the one percenters well, reminds me a lot of the role McCreery plays at Collingwood minus the pace factor. Pies dont care how many goals, kicks etc he gets but just want him chasing, tackling, causing turnovers and being part of the chain of score involvements.

Reply #19
I suspect we miss Saad more, we've shown we can still score our problem seems to be stopping opposition scores.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #20
I suspect we miss Saad more, we've shown we can still score our problem seems to be stopping opposition scores.
I think Boyd has a done a decent job in filling in for Saad and even Cincotta defensively but we miss that rebound and accurate  kicking that Saad provides as it breaks up the play and those quick switches across ground often lead to thrusts forward where our big key forwards can be one out.