Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 23: Post Game Party? Blues come home in the last! (Read 69519 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 23: Post Game Party? Blues come home in the last!

Reply #105
All you carlton naysayers can eat s bag of dicks
That would be me

me too

And me......haven't watched the game yet (seen highlights), as I had no interest at the time (will watch replay tomorrow). Stoked that they won, as it gives the Club some merit for next week. Have to say though, the barrage of sms's I was receiving before 3/4 time from Carlton supporters, denouncing how bad we were suggests there's still a lot of work to do. We got away with playing one awesome quarter of football today.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #106
 Actually thought the boys had a decent crack in the 1st Qtr, the misses made it look worse than it was, the 2nd qtr however was a different story, although I thought Port moved the ball as well as ive seen a team do it this season in that first half, gee they were good....I thought the goal by Jeff Garlett where he pressured the 2 guys then ran up got the spill and snapped the goal was a real turning point and a great effort.
 I hoping we might have got a real confidence lift out of that especially the amigo's Murph and Gibba... Will Juddy be right for NW??

Reply #107
Yes, Murph took a big step forward in the leadership stakes tonight.
It looks like he'll have to reschedule his knee op again.....

Who dropped out for Duigan?

Scotland
Thanks. Hope it was illness and not injury.

Woops, I thought you meant subbed...

Scotto was out due to quad (never a 1 week injury!!).
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #108

No doubt...both he and Gibbs were challenged by the coach and delivered. Murphy looked better down forward and his finishing was important.
Credit also to Yarran who played very well and his work was very classy at times....

Credit must go to Malthouse who really put the onus on the leaders and even Duigan I thought was a valuable player...

Big question is can this same group of players who won the game for us tonight led by Murphy deliver again next week....

Right there. Maybe, just maybe, Gibbs and Murph learnt something today... about leadership. YES, I have always believed that Murph is a mega dangerous small forward who can go into the guts... not the other way round - under those circumstances he will always be a better skipper.

We look better with an in-form Duigs in the side.

Reply #109
Be Aware!   There has been an unexplained theft.
One of the greatest thefts since the great train robbery.

Target = Finals Spot
Crew = See below
Probability of coming off = 500/1 long shot
Place = Football Park

Charged for aiding and abetting is
1     James Hird of Essendon for stupidity (exit the finals)
2    Andrew Dimitriou for god complex and over-reaction (kicking them out of the finals)
3    Mathew Broadbent for inaccuracy with 25 seconds on the clock
4    The Port Adelaide football club for letting a 37 point deficit deep in the third quarter go against an opposition that had 276 disposals vs 365.
5    The umpires for awarding 18 free kicks to 13 dispite Carlton being second to the ball all day
6    Richmond football club for being the only top 8 team Carlton could beat

In a bold showing, and after numerous failed attempts, The Carlton Football Club has got away with the prized booty of a finals spot.

Unbelievable!

Go blues!
I long for the hey day to return.

Reply #110
Healy and Dunstall can eat a bowl of dicks, they are wingeing about Murphy's deliberate, Ports last two goals came from throws

Thank all the gods I was not the only one who saw exactly the same thing.

Reply #111
MM and the players deserved the kicking thy got in the In Game Thread.  I don't regret anything I said because they were playing without soul or for the jumper.

But that last quarter was their best 30 minutes for the year.  They played with intensity and heart and genuine belief and they were lead by a man who took 23 rounds to work out what's needed to be a Captain.

This has nothing to so with MM's gameplan.  In the first three quarters Port ran harder and played smarter.  We kicked long to their loose man and didn't run to man up when they had the ball.  In fact we had the ball over 100 less times in the first half because we weren't willing to compete.  Again, nothing to do with hugging the boundary line.

But when they faltered and ran out of legs we finally pounced and it's a credit to top up players like Bell and Duigan that they were there to make an impact.

MM is a great coach.  20 final series to his name.  There's only so much you can do with players who may have raw talent but no intelligence.

It's nice that we've made it into the Finals but for me the measure of Mick will be next year.  He won't be able to blame the last regime just like Abbot will blame Rudd if he wins next week.

In the meantime roll on the Tiges.

the former vic labor govt blamed the kennett government for 11 years...

Reply #112
the former vic labor govt blamed the kennett government for 11 years...

With good reason LR . . . most of everything that is wrong with Victoria, including Carlton's failure to challenge for another flag, is down to Kennett's mismanagement.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #113
vlad just said we play sunday

Reply #114
I think the Pies were told they'd get a Sunday final in return for playing round 23 on the Sunday.

Whoever plays Collingwood gets the Sunday final I think.

Although Fox are stating otherwise.

Has Kochie and Hinckley agreed that they can wear their B&W stripes?  ;)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #115
Can't believe everyone thinks it was a final quarter only, win. The third quarter arrested the decline and laid the foundations for the final quarter. Even up until half time our team stats showed we were very competitive and even slightly in front!

We did a lot right in this game, and IMHO it was our disposal and decision making early that cost us, and their pressure probably caused that - same old problem.

What our club must do is find out why we started slow once 'attacked' and why so many blokes then fumbled under this pressure? (leadership, introversion, inexperience?).

I wouldn't be conservative in assessing Duigs' influence ...

About time we won a close one.

Reply #116
Healy and Dunstall can eat a bowl of dicks, they are wingeing about Murphy's deliberate, Ports last two goals came from throws

Thank all the gods I was not the only one who saw exactly the same thing.

X3 thought i was watching rugby at one point and started protesting about a knock on...

Wingards was so blatant it was despicable.  Umps put the whistles away.  That Jarrad Waite fifty metre penalty was technically correct but so against the spirit of that contest.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #117
Listening to Dunstall and Healey they were saying that we went a lot smaller in our forward line after Casboult was subbed, as the taller set-up was obviously not delivering results.
Once we had the smaller forward structure in place we were then able to put a lot more pressure on Port's defence  and kill their drive out of there, hence helping in turning things round dramatically to our advantage.
Sounds about right to me and a good coaching move to boot!.

Reply #118
Good job we did win as the Crows are smashing WCE.

Reply #119

No doubt...both he and Gibbs were challenged by the coach and delivered. Murphy looked better down forward and his finishing was important.
Credit also to Yarran who played very well and his work was very classy at times....

Credit must go to Malthouse who really put the onus on the leaders and even Duigan I thought was a valuable player...

Big question is can this same group of players who won the game for us tonight led by Murphy deliver again next week....

Come on EB, I don't expect sycophantic comments from you.

Hopefully Malthouse now realises that playing Yarran off halfback is critical to our success, as is having Duigan put his big frame into the contest.

If Malthouse is as good a coach as some would have us believe, he will throw his pre-conceived ideas about structures and favourites out the window and build on what worked in previous seasons.

We're still a way off a genuine finals contender but there is huge potential if we can retain Betts, play Yarran and Walker in their best positions, pick up a genuine KPP and get at least one of our rucks to win the ball around the ground.  Encouraging risk taking football as Hawthorn plays wouldn't go astray but that may be a 'bridge too far' or our rather conservative coach.

Finally, I'm leading my former workplace's footy tipping by 3 coming in to this round . . . and I tipped Port Adelaide  :(  It could cost me dollars but I don't mind  8)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball