Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 1 Post Game Party: Carlton vs Richmond (Read 39183 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 1 Post Game Party: Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #255
And went to the Cats on very reasonable coin, given his status in the game.

If you accept that is all he get$, which we accept as the current truth, but we probably know it's eventually going to be a lie!

Sinner now and Saint later, or the reverse!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #256
Interesting the coaches gave Cripps maximum 10 votes for BoG as part of the AFLCA voting.

It sort of tells you what the coaches value! Most of the media had Dusty the clear BoG, many of us here thought it was a line ball!

Dusty was given 7, Simmo got 6.

PDF of votes is HERE
The Force Awakens!

Reply #257
Interesting the coaches gave Cripps maximum 10 votes for BoG as part of the AFLCA voting.

It sort of tells you what the coaches value! Most of the media had Dusty the clear BoG, many of us here thought it was a line ball!

Dusty was given 7, Simmo got 6.

PDF of votes is HERE

I had Crippa as BoG.  While I don't get too many correct, I'm pleased to take that one. Onya Crippa. Hat's off to young Simmo too. Only 13 more till our champ gets his ticket to a very exclusive club.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #258
I had Marchbank as a standout and he doesn't get a mention here.

Either I saw a different game, or he wasn't as good as the aforementioned.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #259
I had Marchbank as a standout and he doesn't get a mention here.

Either I saw a different game, or he wasn't as good as the aforementioned.

He gets plenty of votes in the Jim Park thread, and he's been mentioned in this thread numerous times.

Reply #260
Judd described Dusty as a Zen Master, he mentioned that some on the inside of football rate him even higher than the very best of Ablett Jnr.

Jeepers !!!  ........some people have short memories.  If Martin can pay another 8 or 9 seasons at this level, he MIGHT be able to be considered in the same breath as Ablett jnr......whatever you think of him & his later career choices.
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #261
Jeepers !!!  ........some people have short memories.  If Martin can pay another 8 or 9 seasons at this level, he MIGHT be able to be considered in the same breath as Ablett jnr......whatever you think of him & his later career choices.

I suppose there is an undercurrent that suggests a lot of Ablett Jnr's possessions are worthless give and gets where he accumulates two or three touches in the space of a few meters, often at the expense of some poor crushed team-mate. I know I always rated Ablett Jnr less than Judd for this very reason.

Judd would win a hard ball at the coal face, draw in opponents, take the heat and release team-mates moving the ball 40m with minimal disposals.

I'd say Martin is closer to Judd in this regard, I don't think Dusty needs any player to sacrificially take the heat for him, neither needed to put some other poor plebe in the hot seat to escape the traffic.

I must admit after he left Geelong, Ablett Jnr became far more Judd like, which I admire. However, he does whinge a lot about the attention he gets, I've never seen Judd or Dusty complain.

Am I being unfair?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #262
I suppose there is an undercurrent that suggests a lot of Ablett Jnr's possessions are worthless give and gets where he accumulates two or three touches in the space of a few meters, often at the expense of some poor crushed team-mate. I know I always rated Ablett Jnr less than Judd for this very reason.

Judd would win a hard ball at the coal face, draw in opponents, take the heat and release team-mates moving the ball 40m with minimal disposals.

I'd say Martin is closer to Judd in this regard, I don't think Dusty needs any player to sacrificially take the heat for him, neither needed to put some other poor plebe in the hot seat to escape the traffic.

I must admit after he left Geelong, Ablett Jnr became far more Judd like, which I admire. However, he does whinge a lot about the attention he gets, I've never seen Judd or Dusty complain.

Am I being unfair?

Nah, I get that....but for just sheer class in terms of his disposal, he outstrips Judd & Martin by a considerable amount.  I used to bemoan Juddys huge efforts to win the ball, but by foot, he did let himself down comparably.  It's all very small degrees though.

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #263
Nah, I get that....but for just sheer class in terms of his disposal, he outstrips Judd & Martin by a considerable amount.  I used to bemoan Juddys huge efforts to win the ball, but by foot, he did let himself down comparably.  It's all very small degrees though.

I recall Judd being lauded for his disposal early in his career, it wasn't all about his pace.

Was Judd's apparent weaker ball use later in his career more of a symptom of his heavy battering ram game style?

Has Ablett Jnr's super efficient ball use also tapered off given his change to the heavier game style up north, will it return at Geelong?

Is a big part of the difference a result of outside versus inside possessions?

We cannot use stats for this, because the tell is at the receivers end not the kickers. There is no stat that tells you how easily someone is able to take possession.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #264
Dusty couldn't complain the way he throat chops people trying to tackle him.

The umpires would start penalising him very quickly if he ever turned on them.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #265
Dusty couldn't complain the way he throat chops people trying to tackle him.

The umpires would start penalising him very quickly if he ever turned on them.

But he doesn't complain Thry, that IS the point!

I thought Dimma was very stupid last season when for a time he came out complaining about the oppositions treatment of Dusty. Somebody must have sat Dimma on his ar5e very quickly, because he shut up like someone had turned the lights out! Bada Bing, bada boom, Dusty wins a Brownlow Judd style!

My only concern, our own man Marc Murphy never complains, yet he gets very little respect or reward for just cracking in. Compare that to Cotchin!
The Force Awakens!