Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 13 2024 Post Game Celebrations - Carlton vs Essendon (Read 4425 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 13 2024 Post Game Celebrations - Carlton vs Essendon

Reply #60
Coaches votes....
10 - Tom De Koning (CARL)
7 - Elijah Hollands (CARL)
5 - Nic Martin (ESS)
3 - George Hewett (CARL)
2 - Alex Cincotta (CARL)
2 - Sam Durham (ESS)
1 - Jacob Weitering (CARL)

Reply #61
I have to say, our forward line dynamic has skyrocketed since they put Williams down there and Fogarty came back.  Throw Martin and Motlop into that mix, and it will be a seriously scary place for all defenders.

Remember not long ago when we used to dominate inside 50s and couldn't get a goal to save ourselves?  I think that one is in the rear-view mirror now......
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #62
TDK didn't put on a tackle - he did alot right but his tackling game went AWOL cant give him BOG his endeavour was first class but tackling intent was pretty low I reckon. He has and does and should do much better next time around.

Reply #63
TDK didn't put on a tackle - he did alot right but his tackling game went AWOL cant give him BOG his endeavour was first class but tackling intent was pretty low I reckon. He has and does and should do much better next time around.
really?

My personal favourite highlight of his was him desperately rushing a behind on the goal line. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #64

It's pretty hard to tackle when you're the bloke with the ball  ::)

Weitering didn't lay a tackle either and Cincotta only stuck one.  Clearly, they had other priorities, as did Tom.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #65
really?

My personal favourite highlight of his was him desperately rushing a behind on the goal line. 

I did say his endeavour was first class. But if he is going to be elite which he is will be consistently his tackle numbers need to be high.

Reply #66
What's high for an 'elite' ruckman though.

Grundy averages around 5-6 this season
But Tom is slightly up on Gawn 3.2 to 3.1
Goldstein 2

Reply #67
Tackle stats are a double edged sword and largely meaningless without context, they can mean someone is hanging back hunting the player instead of being focussed on the ball, or they can mean they are first to the ball and being tackled themselves rather than making tackles.

So high numbers can be bad and low numbers can be good, or the reverse, it depends on all the other aspects of play.

The Force Awakens!

Reply #68

Love your work, Fine Wine. But on this one I reckon you missed the boat. As DJC and 3 Leos mentioned above, TDK is a beast for attacking the aggot. He's an initiator. That spoil to prevent a goal was worth ten tackles. And how many times does he follow up his own work in an attacking manner? Going along beautifully is TDK.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #69
Tackle stats are a double edged sword and largely meaningless without context, they can mean someone is hanging back hunting the player instead of being focussed on the ball, or they can mean they are first to the ball and being tackled themselves rather than making tackles.

So high numbers can be bad and low numbers can be good, or the reverse, it depends on all the other aspects of play.

Yep, Spotted One.

Let's use Cincotta as an example. Tackle numbers low against Merrett and co. But how many times did he dislodge the aggot from an opponents grip or arms? How often did he prevent his opponent getting the Sherrin due to excellent body position? How many times in a tussle at ground level did he knock the pill out and to a team mates advantage?
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #70
Tom had six tackles against Port Adelaide and, while he had a damn good game, he wasn’t at the same level as he was against Essendon.  Getting the pill is usually far more effective than tackling, as is crunching packs, making critical spoils and taking marks.

Take Rowell against us for example.  He had 15 tackles and virtually no impact on the game other than forcing stoppages, most of which we won (Rowell got one free kick for the game and that may not have been for a tackle). Rowell was basically towelled up and tried to compensate by tackling at every opportunity.  He would have been more effective if he had tried to win the ball.

Then there’s Jacob Weitering; five tackles against the Dockers, six games with zero or one tackle for an average of 1.8 per game.  Tackling is not his job.  He will tackle if the opportunity arises but his priority is organising the defence and stopping his opponent getting the ball.  If he does the latter effectively, there’s no opportunity to tackle.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #71
Take Rowell against us for example.  He had 15 tackles and virtually no impact on the game other than forcing stoppages, most of which we won (Rowell got one free kick for the game and that may not have been for a tackle). Rowell was basically towelled up and tried to compensate by tackling at every opportunity.  He would have been more effective if he had tried to win the ball.
This a great example, because if you looked at the game stats retrospectively you'd think Rowell has had a blinder, when in fact we know he had little influence.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #72
I did say his endeavour was first class. But if he is going to be elite which he is will be consistently his tackle numbers need to be high.

Some weeks there isn't need to tackle when others are doing that job. May not have been an opportunity to tackle for that reason. What he did with other facets of the game were simply outstanding. Other games he has had quite a few tackles so he's obviously not adverse it it. More than one way of looking at it.

Reply #73
Some weeks there isn't need to tackle when others are doing that job. May not have been an opportunity to tackle for that reason. What he did with other facets of the game were simply outstanding. Other games he has had quite a few tackles so he's obviously not adverse it it. More than one way of looking at it.

I think that’s the key Jim; he should be racking up tackles in some games, as he does, but not in other games where he will have other priorities.

The bottom line is that both coaches gave him maximum votes and they both weren’t averse to the odd tackle back in their day.

Reply #74
Interestingly, we bemoaned the fact that for weeks we were missing Fogarty's tackle pressure in the forward 50 yet on Sunday he didn't lay one!!