Skip to main content
Topic: RD 21 : Blues Torture Tigers (Tiger-Taming Tweets) (Read 36018 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 21 : Blues Torture Tigers (Tiger-Taming Tweets)

Reply #60
does anyone have stats on win % when judd is not playing?

Reply #61
Waite needs to be play in defence, I prefer him there, always have.

Likewise... we need his brilliant reading of the play down back and extroverted confidence to effect the others...

Definitely X3!
We looked a lot better with him there today.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #62
does anyone have stats on win % when judd is not playing?
Carlton 2008-2013
With Judd 62 Wins 60 Losses 1 Draw
Without Judd 8 Wins 3 Losses 0 Draw
So I make that 50% Win with Judd, 72% without
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #63
Gee we learned a lot about our blokes today... a lot. We also learned about our coaching.

No matter which way you bend it, positive or negative, today's win showed character... and some good moves and faith from the coaching panel.

Moves & Faith - not to panic and move Hendo into defence. Whoever chose Waite to defence and not Hendo should be given a medal. Everything was right about Waite into defence.

Curnow to kurb Cotchin... in fact he took him to the cleaners.

Armfield to Ellils... goodnight Ellis.

Zackery to Martin... Martin's contract negotiations now in Tiggers favour.

In my summary of the VFL game last week I commented that I thought Robbo was among the best (though not so according the 'official' best). I did so because I watched closely how he would respond to be demoted and then play. His attitude was great and I thought his 'discipline' in terms of 'role' was so much better than for a long while. He brought that to the MCG today and I am thrilled for him that he is learning how to channel his considerable energy and passion (and developing skills).

(a few of us on here have always thought that Waite is better in defence, but understood that due to slim pickings up forward he was heavily relied upon to present himself up there... the pickins aint so slim now... please keep Waitey in defence to support Jammo - who (Jammo), regardless of what other may thing, is doing a sensational job.)

Heath Scotland must play on.

We responded and then played so well without Juddy, Kreuz, Carrots, Gartlett...

On the negative side... We were better when Meat was in the ruck (206 has poor 2nd, 3rd etc efforts).

Yaz was good only in a few bursts off half back. Is not a forward. If he is to stay, it will be as a half back.

Whoever decided to play Boots (regardless of opponent) is dreaming. This kid can only chase, spoil and negate. He has no offensive skills. Send him back home to his family, please.

Eddie, to me, is about the first bloke we should trade.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #64
...... - who (Jammo), regardless of what other may thing, is doing a sensational job.)

No he has not been, seriously - have you only started watching us this week?
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #65
Whilst not in any way trying to take the gloss off what was a terrific win, I feel that this has only served to paper over the cracks and lull us into a false sense of security once again.

For the past month, we have been served up a heap of tripe from the team with many people on this forum being scathing of individual efforts and the like.

They can't be complete spuds when we lose and superstars when we win, it's one or the other regardless of the result and for that reason alone, we still have a long way to go before our list is ready to challenge for a flag. 

"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #66
Gee we learned a lot about our blokes today... a lot. We also learned about our coaching.

No matter which way you bend it, positive or negative, today's win showed character... and some good moves and faith from the coaching panel.

That's the problem though...this weeks was full of character......last weeks was not.
And for that inconsistency they have to cop a rocket.
....and we are entitled to ask why?
It's not like they're an inexperienced group of youngsters, there are a few but there are also quite a few 100 gamers there.

Reply #67
Whilst not in any way trying to take the gloss off what was a terrific win, I feel that this has only served to paper over the cracks and lull us into a false sense of security once again.

For the past month, we have been served up a heap of tripe from the team with many people on this forum being scathing of individual efforts and the like.

They can't be complete spuds when we lose and superstars when we win, it's one or the other regardless of the result and for that reason alone, we still have a long way to go before our list is ready to challenge for a flag. 

Understand where you are coming from... 11 years of abject failure breeds cynicism. But, for me, today said something.

Today we won when we should have lost. Why?

In fact we were gone at qtr time. Many of us and commentators were predicting a 100 pt + blowout. But we pulled back the deficit and won... how come? We've not be able to do that for a very long time. Well, you gotta see the glimmer... could it be the newbies and at last, boldness from the MC...

Meat is a far better forward/ruck option than Rowey. He may have been the difference (so encouraging when a forward marks and kicks goals!!!!!!!!)

Menzel must play out the season. As must Dinger, Meat, the Nick and McInnes. I really believe it was the belief, enthusiasm and raw ability of these blokes that helped lift the older blokes in that last qtr.

On the subject of the kids...

...although Menzel fades in and out, when he fades in he really does do damage. And I implore you to watch replays of the 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc efforts of Menzel... this kid, when in the contest, does not want to surrender. (Yazz could learn much from this bloke).

Dinger: yep he got caught and it looked really pathetic, but where were his team mates letting him know he was 'hot'... dam introverts! We should not underestimate his endeavour when the real win/lose heat was on and how his crunch on Cotchin lifted his team mates.

Nick Graham: slotted in nicely. Picked up around 10 disposals in a qtr and a bit of footy. This, with having to wait as the sub, says something about the kids temperament. Remember, this fella was the Skipper of Gippy... leadership potential. Also remember that MM says he is about the last to leave after training... wants to improve himself and commits big time.

McInnes: gotta understand that this bloke has not had a proper pre season and has only just gotten back, yet shows the attitude you want in a defender. Love his dash of mongrel.

Meat: So frustrating that he starts slowly. Sort of bloke who needs to ruck from the get-go. Gets all cylinders firing. And when they're firing his marking ability is second to none. As mentioned above, he is a far better option than Rowey. Remember... he's only played 13 games - these big blokes do take longer.

Scotto must play next year.

Sorry, Ye Sheikness, but today we got a glimpse. We looked like a side that was determined to win( without Juddy, Carrots, Kreuz...etc).

Apart from Betts, Warnock and Yarran... all the other blokes on the paddock absorbed the heat and withstood the pressure to prevail... even though we were fading (fitness) at the end.

Proud to be a BlueBagger today... but we have a long, long way to go.

Reply #68

Agree...Richmond are still midpack material IMO and have played above themselves including that win over Hawthorn, we were enthused by youth tonight and the MC got the selections right.
I picked us to win because we had what we needed in the team to beat the Tigers but thats not going to cut it vs the good teams.....eg Waite to CHB isnt a long term option....
The effort from our kids was promising though and if we can continue to play them we may get to hwere we want to go quicker than expected with a good coach like Malthouse....

Reply #69
Was absolutely fantastic to watch Casboult dominate the forward 50 in the second half today - he should not have been dropped for Rowe on the first place and he certainly should not have suffered the indignity of having to play VFL for as long as he has. I still think that we should use him exclusively as a CHF or FF, working in tandem with Henderson or Waite - he's so dangerous down there.

But what about the Bootsma to Riewoldt match-up??? How can you possibly go through a whole week of planning and decide that it would be a good idea putting skinny Bootsma on Jack? He was never ever going to be strong enough and it could have cost us dearly.

Liked the look of Graham and Tuohy's continued improvement is very exciting to watch.

Mclean surprised me today.

Reply #70
Just watching the replay.

FMD we got crucified in the first half.

How did Betts not get that free directly in front when Martin Sean dived into his back?
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #71
I was one of few who called this as a certain victory.

Going with Sheik, its an indictment on our playing group when I can get a feel for when they are going to show up and play, and everyone in the footy world has written them off.  Allowing the Tigers to kick half a winning score in a quarter is a further shame and they should enjoy the victory but there were some very hard lessons to learn today.

We lifted for a "grand final".  We will more than likely repeat the effort next week, and capitulate entirely the following just when we start building soe momentum.  It actually mirrors our in game performances.

Its so predictable.  I know this team better than it knows itself.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #72
When Brock, interviewed after the game, commented that this was about the best WIN of the season... that told me a lot about the group, and the Senior Coach.

...and about the decision to make 5 changes. In the words of Goethe... 'boldness has genius, magic and power in it'... understand, MM? Your '2nd string' midfield and kids delivered an unlikely win... an impressive win. You can be a stubborn 60 (this is what has always worked) or be an OF who dares to dream of wise, but bold change.

Reply #73
Well I tipped us to win !!  ;D Not with any confidence, but I did !!

I watched the game down the pub with a bunch of Richmond supporters, I was not a happy camper at qtr time.  >:(

Bootsma is simply nor ready yet for AFL footy, another pre-season and some extra kg's and he should be worth another go.

I thought everone else contributed for 3 qtr's of good footy and thats what got us over the line.

Happy birthday to MM, who I thought also coached well for 3 qtr's.

Nice to see Gibbs play forward (where he should be  ;) ) A valuable contributor.

How much time does McLean actually spend in the middle? I only ever seem to see him in the forward 50, where he seems to go quite well so it's not a huge issue.

Another great job by Curnow, Armfield also seems to play better when given a job to mind someone.

Did Touhy play in the midfield to mind Martin? that's another step forward for him. I love his long goals !!

Hopefully a good win against the Bummer next week, and then we'll see how much we really want to play finals when we meet Port (for what should be a cracker) the week after.

Go Blues !!!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #74
Sorry, Ye Sheikness, but today we got a glimpse. We looked like a side that was determined to win( without Juddy, Carrots, Kreuz...etc).

No need to apologise for having an opinion Baggers even if it is different to mine.

However, how many times have we seen that sort of comment written only to see hopes dashed not long after ?? They build you up and then smash you down just as quickly.

The list just isn't good enough to go all the way and our players aren't mentally tough enough collectively. 
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"