Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 20: Pre Game Anticipation: Carlton vs St Kilda (Read 23196 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 20: Pre Game Anticipation: Carlton vs St Kilda

Reply #61
Final rd20 Sunday teams Carl v StK

Walker, Thomas for Everitt, Sumner

Int; Weitering, Thomas, Walker, Graham

Emerg; Sumner, Whiley, Everitt

Reply #62
I reckon Thomas, Walker and Weitering are certainties to play assuming that Weitering is fit, so that leaves room for one of Sumner, Graham, Whiley and Everitt.
I doubt that Whiley will get a gig and Walker will probably take Sumner's spot, Everitt's form has been down but he's capable of kicking multiple goals and scoring has been our biggest problem this season.
Graham's pedestrian, he lays a fair few tackles but doesn't impact on games and he's pretty slow.
Everitt, Walker, Thomas and Weitering in the 22, Graham if Weitering doesn't play.
Casboult's lucky in my opinion, Jones must really be on the outer.
Hopefully Murphy's back next week and we have a few more wins to round out the season.

Should be playing both Casboult and Jones. Not that either are stars by any means but as a structure it worked great mid season. Playing both split the defence and created some space for our smaller blokes to run into space in the 50 and kick goals. If Jones had to be the only key forward in the side he'd probably have a worse time than Casboult being triple teamed with the ball bombed on his head. Unless you're Fev you'll struggle in that circumstance. Not alot of blame on thee key forwards there just the people selecting the team.

Reply #63
Final rd20 Sunday teams Carl v StK

Walker, Thomas for Everitt, Sumner

Int; Weitering, Thomas, Walker, Graham

Emerg; Sumner, Whiley, Everitt

Makes sense. Then next week, hopefully, it will be Murphy for Graham.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #64
wheres the pace in the 2nds? You see what 1 of our promblem is and by playing the same old is like moving the deck chairs.

Reply #65
Cunningham and DVR Mina, rest couldn't run out of sight on a dark night.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #66
Should be playing both Casboult and Jones.

Our best win of the season has undoubtedly been against Geelong and Jones didn't play.
Casboult had 8 touches and kicked a goal, Armfield kicked 3 and Everitt 4, Gorringe kicked a couple playing second ruck.
Jones and Casboult played in the win against Port Adelaide which is our second best win of the season but Casboult was out of the game after 10 minutes.
Jones kicked 2 from 8 touches, Everitt kicked 3.
Realistically the common factor seems to be Everitt in good form, the other games we've won have been against teams no better than us and in the case of Brisbane and Essendon worse, so I don't rate them too highly.
Two key forwards are always better than one unless they're substandard, and in our case they are.
I missed out on Everitt for Graham, I guess they figured that dropping Graham would leave the midfield thin but he doesn't score and scoring has been our biggest problem, Everitt can at least kick a few although his form has slipped.
We'll go OK but we're certainly down on pace and St Kilda are quick if nothing else, it's about 50/50 I reckon.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #67
Caboult and Jones together are undefeated.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #68
Oddly I think we can get hold of the Saints in the ruck, Hickey won't jump over Phillips like he did to Gorringe last time we played. And other than Bruce it puts the Aints solo ruck up against two proper ruckmen and two part timers.

If our big blokes were ever going to have a good day it should be tomorrow! The Aints have gone small with pace, we need to dominate clearances and then clunk some marks.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #69
Our best win of the season has undoubtedly been against Geelong and Jones didn't play.
Casboult had 8 touches and kicked a goal, Armfield kicked 3 and Everitt 4, Gorringe kicked a couple playing second ruck.
Jones and Casboult played in the win against Port Adelaide which is our second best win of the season but Casboult was out of the game after 10 minutes.
Jones kicked 2 from 8 touches, Everitt kicked 3.
Realistically the common factor seems to be Everitt in good form, the other games we've won have been against teams no better than us and in the case of Brisbane and Essendon worse, so I don't rate them too highly.
Two key forwards are always better than one unless they're substandard, and in our case they are.
I missed out on Everitt for Graham, I guess they figured that dropping Graham would leave the midfield thin but he doesn't score and scoring has been our biggest problem, Everitt can at least kick a few although his form has slipped.
We'll go OK but we're certainly down on pace and St Kilda are quick if nothing else, it's about 50/50 I reckon.

Two forwards are always better than one for structural purposes no matter how good they are. The worse they are the more you need (up to two). One is only ok if you have the likes of Fev, who could carry a defence on his own, even then two is way better. Like I said both take men. Don't respect Casboult and Jones and they'll still hurt you. If there's one the defence all go to him. With two they split them, allows Casboult gets up the ground where he can play, takes defenders with him, opens the 50 and we score. Everitt was able to kick plenty in that period for the same reason, space and the fact the two key forwards had taken the opposition defenders. He too has been no good since we went back to one key forward. While Casboult and Jones didn't kick many but allows many others too, including Everitt. Can't argue with the scoreboard.

We are undefeated with Jones and Casboult in the side and kicked much better scores. Casboult averaged 1.5 a game, and alot of marks, last year as either a permanent 2nd ruck or key forward/ruck, while we had a 2nd key forward, Henderson, who while playing poorly but certainly needed defenders. Any club would take that. Note that allowed Everitt to kick 31 goals. Casboult's game this year, forward backing Kreuzer, who was rucking alone, 11 marks, 7 contested, 3 goals. Good reason clubs were interested in him last year. Moral there is to player average players to their strengths or they struggle.

Against Geelong, Goringe, a forward/ruck more than the other way around, got 14 touches, 7 marks and 2 goals against Geelong. Same argument applies. He actually played on the wing in the VFL the other week.

Reply #70
We definitely need to keep the ball in tight and not give away turnovers otherwise they will run us into the turf.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #71
Two forwards are always better than one for structural purposes no matter how good they are.

I know it's a hobby horse of yours Laj and I respect your opinion, I just don't agree with it.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #72
Two forwards are always better than one for structural purposes no matter how good they are. The worse they are the more you need (up to two). One is only ok if you have the likes of Fev, who could carry a defence on his own, even then two is way better. Like I said both take men. Don't respect Casboult and Jones and they'll still hurt you. If there's one the defence all go to him. With two they split them, allows Casboult gets up the ground where he can play, takes defenders with him, opens the 50 and we score. Everitt was able to kick plenty in that period for the same reason, space and the fact the two key forwards had taken the opposition defenders. He too has been no good since we went back to one key forward. While Casboult and Jones didn't kick many but allows many others too, including Everitt. Can't argue with the scoreboard.

We are undefeated with Jones and Casboult in the side and kicked much better scores. Casboult averaged 1.5 a game, and alot of marks, last year as either a permanent 2nd ruck or key forward/ruck, while we had a 2nd key forward, Henderson, who while playing poorly but certainly needed defenders. Any club would take that. Note that allowed Everitt to kick 31 goals. Casboult's game this year, forward backing Kreuzer, who was rucking alone, 11 marks, 7 contested, 3 goals. Good reason clubs were interested in him last year. Moral there is to player average players to their strengths or they struggle.

Against Geelong, Goringe, a forward/ruck more than the other way around, got 14 touches, 7 marks and 2 goals against Geelong. Same argument applies. He actually played on the wing in the VFL the other week.
There may be a few reasons the MC are not selecting the team as you have suggested Jim:
1. The ultimate game plan they are trying to implement, and lets face it we don't know the intricacies of it, doesn't suit that type of selection;
2. They are trying to implement a game plan structure which involves unpredictability in the fwd line;
3. They are selecting a side which is defensively minded (being the main focus in year 1), competitive (effort) but doesn't necessarily win too many games in year 1 (ie position ourselves for decent 1st round draft picks).
If you don't agree with 3, then its mainly 1 and 2.
They are my thoughts.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #73
There may be a few reasons the MC are not selecting the team as you have suggested Jim:
1. The ultimate game plan they are trying to implement, and lets face it we don't know the intricacies of it, doesn't suit that type of selection;
2. They are trying to implement a game plan structure which involves unpredictability in the fwd line;
3. They are selecting a side which is defensively minded (being the main focus in year 1), competitive (effort) but doesn't necessarily win too many games in year 1 (ie position ourselves for decent 1st round draft picks).
If you don't agree with 3, then its mainly 1 and 2.
They are my thoughts.

Maybe, interesting thoughts, but when we were winning mid-year we were great defensively and because there was space the transition was quick and allowed us to score through many different options. Against Port our defence was outstanding but we always looked like we were going to score even when 2-3 goals behind late, finishing with Kreuzer snagging the winner. All the defensive aspects were in place but we also moved the ball out of the defensive 50 quickly. Nothing teaches better than that. With one key forward we actually become predictable. Without the same space we move it slowly then eventually have to bomb it to Casboult. The poor bugger is covered by a number of defenders, who know exactly what is going to happen. Casboult done a good job in his time here but he's certainly not that good to counter that. He's the poor bugger that cops the flack.

That's the way I see it anyway.

Reply #74
Maybe, interesting thoughts, but when we were winning mid-year we were great defensively and because there was space the transition was quick and allowed us to score through many different options. Against Port our defence was outstanding but we always looked like we were going to score even when 2-3 goals behind late, finishing with Kreuzer snagging the winner. All the defensive aspects were in place but we also moved the ball out of the defensive 50 quickly. Nothing teaches better than that. With one key forward we actually become predictable. Without the same space we move it slowly then eventually have to bomb it to Casboult. The poor bugger is covered by a number of defenders, who know exactly what is going to happen. Casboult done a good job in his time here but he's certainly not that good to counter that. He's the poor bugger that cops the flack.

That's the way I see it anyway.
Firstly, unpredictability comes from multiple avenues to goal, not via one or two key forwards.
Secondly, when the Key Forward is being double and triple teamed, where the feck are the opponents (ie our blokes) of the ones doing the double a triple teaming ? Got to be smarter around the fwd line with the loose blokes picking up crumbs or getting into position to receive goal side. Watch the Hawthorn, Sydney and Geelong poachers do it.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time