Skip to main content
Topic: Give Harry a go (Read 49592 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Give Harry a go

Reply #120
I apologise wholeheartedly.

You were right,  Bolton is showing his limitations as match selector and potentially outcoached himself in both games.

I'm notching it Two games that selection has cost us more than anything.

You are one of the few who have had the balls to apologise and admit they were being harsh on me for suggesting it.

Said the same thing re team selection costing us games.
Not sure what he is trying to achieve, or if there is some hidden punishment being exercised that we don't know about, but makes no sense otherwise.

Reply #121
I do agree with you. Our team selections have not been good enough. Going into a game against a top ruckman (my God, I am frightened to write that: had Witts stayed at Collingwood he would still be a dud!) with only Casoult as a rucking option is a terrible mistake. It set us up to fail. Then our team balance hasn't been there.
Much work required in this area.
You are also correct: Bolts was seriously out-coached today. Dew's plans succeeded, while ours struggled.
Mind you, some of the non-decisions didn't help from the Umps, but if we had wanted the ball as much as they did, the umpiring would have been much less of an influence.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #122
In many ways it was probably a good thing that H wasn't out there today. He would be tarred with a brush not of his own making, as our lack of intensity was clear. However, he would have taken some of those marks in the forward line to actually make out forward entries be worthwhile.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #123
Bolton said that Harry will come into the side if the Tractor can’t play.

Then he didn't....grrrrr!

What the hell were they thinking.

Reply #124
Then he didn't....grrrrr!

What the hell were they thinking.

There are fairies at he bottom of the garden too!

It was all smoke and mirrors, but I don't know who was smoking what!

I suspect we have quite a few more injury concerns than are not being admitted, which will ultimately come back to bite BB on the ar5e!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #125
Talking of injuries, I don't think Wright was 100% either from the way he was moving.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #126
Agree, didn't look right (pardon the pun)

Reply #127
You are one of the few who have had the balls to apologise and admit they were being harsh on me for suggesting it.

Said the same thing re team selection costing us games.
Not sure what he is trying to achieve, or if there is some hidden punishment being exercised that we don't know about, but makes no sense otherwise.

I would apologise but I agreed with you....... ;)

Reply #128
I do agree with you. Our team selections have not been good enough. Going into a game against a top ruckman (my God, I am frightened to write that: had Witts stayed at Collingwood he would still be a dud!) with only Casoult as a rucking option is a terrible mistake. It set us up to fail. Then our team balance hasn't been there.
Much work required in this area.
You are also correct: Bolts was seriously out-coached today. Dew's plans succeeded, while ours struggled.
Mind you, some of the non-decisions didn't help from the Umps, but if we had wanted the ball as much as they did, the umpiring would have been much less of an influence.

The thing is that we didn’t have any other options;  Lobbe is injured, Flip has played half a game, Harry may have been an option but only if there was no-one else and De Koning, while named as an emergency, is a long way off.

I thought that Casboult and Jones both gave good contests in the ruck, and we won the clearances, so Witts’ dominance in hitouts didn’t really amount to much.

I’d prefer to see Harry honing his key forward craft in the NBs rather than being thrown to the wolves as an underweight, inexperienced ruckman.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #129
HooraY, so we played Polson (a kid who struggles in the maggos).

Stroke of genius by Bolts.

Quite frankly, footy players aren't known for their IQs, most Coaches and supports are ex footy players?

Do the maths.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #130
The thing is that we didn’t have any other options;  Lobbe is injured, Flip has played half a game, Harry may have been an option but only if there was no-one else and De Koning, while named as an emergency, is a long way off.

I thought that Casboult and Jones both gave good contests in the ruck, and we won the clearances, so Witts’ dominance in hitouts didn’t really amount to much.

I’d prefer to see Harry honing his key forward craft in the NBs rather than being thrown to the wolves as an underweight, inexperienced ruckman.

But in this game we unsettled the line up so much that we neither blooded kids, nor formulated a truly effective looking tactic that might win us the game.

It was a bit of a misfire.  At least we have made sure we have burned polson in the process. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #131

Witts had 14 hit outs to advantage which is double what he had the week before.

The biggest problem we had with not playing another tall was we were too short in our forward line and Charlie Curnow had to do it all on his own.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #132
Witts had 14 hit outs to advantage which is double what he had the week before.

The biggest problem we had with not playing another tall was we were too short in our forward line and Charlie Curnow had to do it all on his own.

Not entirely true. Weitering impersonated a witches hat for large periods of the game up forward too.

Reply #133
Could someone please explain to me all the comments about "Harry's not ready", "... needs more time", etc.

Is he injured? Is he immature for his age? Needs more time for what? We drafted him at pick 10. When I open my 2016 Carlton Season Guide there's a 2 page spread with McKay one one side and Weitering on the other. Why was Weits deemed ready for R1 yet a full 2 years later we're still waiting for Harry? He's taller and heavier than Weitering.

Most would agree you can throw a blanket over the first 10 picks in a draft - maybe even the first 20 - and be assured of getting quality.

Knowing Carlton and our recent history of stellar recruiting and player development  ::), what's the bet we made the wrong call and should have played Harry while holding Weits back.

EDIT: Probably just exposed my own ignorance after realising we're talking about a future ruckman.  Still, if he's fit, he should have played on Saturday. I thought he showed enough in the 2 games he played towards then end of last year, but I guess that's what this thread is all about.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #134
Could someone please explain to me all the comments about "Harry's not ready", "... needs more time", etc.

Is he injured? Is he immature for his age? Needs more time for what? We drafted him at pick 10. When I open my 2016 Carlton Season Guide there's a 2 page spread with McKay one one side and Weitering on the other. Why was Weits deemed ready for R1 yet a full 2 years later we're still waiting for Harry? He's taller and heavier than Weitering.

Most would agree you can throw a blanket over the first 10 picks in a draft - maybe even the first 20 - and be assured of getting quality.

Knowing Carlton and our recent history of stellar recruiting and player development  ::), what's the bet we made the wrong call and should have played Harry while holding Weits back.

EDIT: Probably just exposed my own ignorance after realising we're talking about a future ruckman.  Still, if he's fit, he should have played on Saturday. I thought he showed enough in the 2 games he played towards then end of last year, but I guess that's what this thread is all about.

As far as I know we didn't recruit McKay as a ruckmen, although it's a given someone his size will eventually do some ruck work. He and his brother have always been KPPs at either end of the ground. Size isn't primarily what makes a ruckmen, Kreuzer and is the perfect example of that.

At the moment I think our structures are FUBAR, we have Marchbank who is Weitering size and playing him in a Simmo style running HBF role, while Simmo, Plowman, Byrne and Mullett are also playing a Simmo type running HBF role. I'm not even sure Marchbank is a good enough decision maker or ball user to be in that role, and I doubt he's a better intercept mark than Weitering, Marchbank is certainly not a better ball user than Weitering.

We seem to be obsessed with having our better players be utility types, why do we let that happen. I don't see Harry Taylor chasing forward pockets up the field or playing as a defensive forward. Taylor hardly left D50 for the first 5 years of his career!
The Force Awakens!