Skip to main content
Topic: Abbott must go, arise Sir Malcolm! (Read 80100 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Abbott must go, arise Sir Malcolm!

Reply #120
Australian monarchists have more of a problem with this than the Queen who clearly couldn't GAF.

Don't know whether the Queen couldn't GAF but she would NEVER publicly comment on Australian domestic affairs.

I am no definitely no monarchist but I have a problem with it - it just smacks of rank hypocrisy - that's my problem with it.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #121
Lp

There is no backlash.
Straight out of the "Hear No Evil, See No Evil, Speak No Evil" play book.

You cannot use the polls to your advantage one week and proclaim indifference the next. The same polls that predicted the Coalition victory a couple of months back are now allegedly reporting they would lose an election tomorrow. That would be the shortest honeymoon period on history, and it comes at the time when they are happily pointing the finger a previous governments for the current problems.

Pyne has even managed to burn his state allies!

Abbott is the problem not the Coalition, his "Cone of silence" is burning political capital faster than a Guy Fawkes bonfire! Even Agent 86 looks more capable!

What did the New Zealand PM say to the UN bureaucrat, "Over the ditch they have Abbott of a problem!"
The Force Awakens!

Reply #122
Australian monarchists have more of a problem with this than the Queen who clearly couldn't GAF.

Don't know whether the Queen couldn't GAF but she would NEVER publicly comment on Australian domestic affairs.

I am no definitely no monarchist but I have a problem with it - it just smacks of rank hypocrisy - that's my problem with it.

Actually the Queen did comment a few years ago, prior to the last vote. HRH clearly stated it was time for the mature country to decide for itself, and it was only the deliberate bogus phrasing of the question put to the public that biased the outcome. HRH didn't go so far as to offer a prescription, but the intent was clear, I dare say HRH would not have phrased the question the way Howard's Monarchists did either!

Since then a number of other royals have publicly stated it is inevitable, some even hint that it is well overdue!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #123

Actually the Queen did comment a few years ago, prior to the last vote. HRH clearly stated it was time for the mature country to decide for itself, and it was only the deliberate bogus phrasing of the question put to the public that biased the outcome. HRH didn't go so far as to offer a prescription, but the intent was clear, I dare say HRH would not have phrased the question the way Howard's Monarchists did either!

Since then a number of other royals have publicly stated it is inevitable, some even hint that it is well overdue!

Exactamondo. I also recall HRH saying that. And I will never forget the highly manipulative wording Little Jonothan used is asking us about being a Republic.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #124

Exactamondo. I also recall HRH saying that. And I will never forget the highly manipulative wording Little Jonothan used is asking us about being a Republic.

think it says that either little J was cunningly clever, a majority of referendum voters were naive, or a bit of both.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #125
think it says that either little J was cunningly clever, a majority of referendum voters were naive, or a bit of both.

Not really, it was a bit like the last election, two options nobody really wanted.

The only difference in the referendum was that the question favored "a no change" vote as opposed to "change for the sake of it" vote!

Would we find that the opinions of the shock jocks and their followers gave us a very good indication of how things were going to run out. LCD.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #126

Not really, it was a bit like the last election, two options nobody really wanted.

The only difference in the referendum was that the question favored "a no change" vote as opposed to "change for the sake of it" vote!

Would we find that the opinions of the shock jocks and their followers gave us a very good indication of how things were going to run out. LCD.

I agree LP. think we're both saying same thing. I was implying Little J was cunning and clever enough to base referendum question on rep model rather than question of choice between republic or monarchy.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #127
How anyone can say with a straight face that the  effectively saying "that is a matter for the Australian people" is the same as taking a stance on the republic issue is beyond me. It's hard to take anything after that seriously but lets try:

This argument that the any reasonable Australian adult would have voted for a change to the constitution, without knowing the changes upfront is lala land stuff. The best model and probably the only workable one was presented, one that I voted yes to, and was shot down fairly soundly.

We're still 10 years away.

Reply #128
How anyone can say with a straight face that the  effectively saying "that is a matter for the Australian people" is the same as taking a stance on the republic issue is beyond me. It's hard to take anything after that seriously but lets try:

This argument that the any reasonable Australian adult would have voted for a change to the constitution, without knowing the changes upfront is lala land stuff. The best model and probably the only workable one was presented, one that I voted yes to, and was shot down fairly soundly.

Unfortunately I agree with your estimated min 10 y time frame.

That Australians voted against the model, indicates that the average Australian doesn't understood its system of governance as well as it could, and despite its efforts It's arguable as to whether the republic team communicated the benefits of its model well enough. What's clear is that motivation to avoid loss will often overcome that of gain. While those that understand the Westminster system understand the importance that Head of state selection by Gov has on keeping machinery of gov churning along, it's a difficult concept to communicate on mass, especially when the leader of the country is a cunning politician on the opposing camp. Republicans were just out campaigned IMO.

― Mark Twain

Reply #129

Optimist! ;)

Reply #130
country only 250 years old - sub 30 mil
10 pound poms are still around - wait another generation
til we work out who we are.
we like to change things cause we can in this country - bet the GG would have never made those comments
6 months before her  appointment

Reply #131
Here it comes, democracy at work!

Quote from: SMH
Tony Abbott and his chief of staff Peta Credlin are enforcing a culture of “obsessive centralised control phobia” and are out of touch with voters, according to Liberal National Party senator Ian Macdonald, who has delivered a scathing attack on the Prime Minister’s office.

Despite the hurdles, punji sticks and bear traps. totalitarians always bring about their own demise!

If Abbott burns his political capital any faster we will be able to solve global warming by closing down some coal fired plants!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #132
There must be betting books already out on how much longer this galah can last. He's beginning to make Rudd and Gillard look almost competent!

His minders are controlling him tighter than an over protective mother using excessive child restraints. Mind you, if I were them I would do exactly the same - especially keep him away from microphones. This bloke cannot think on his feet at all... think WITH his feet, maybe. All the best politicians are good to brilliant at thinking on their feet... probably helped by being extremely confident in respect to what they're doing, and they need to be as many of the political reporters in this nation (except News Limited puppets) are far from being mugs. When you alienate one of the most respected political journos in the nation, Laurie Oaks, you know you're on the nose.

Today's criticism of Abbott from National Senator Ian Macdonald is hardly surprising or a revelation. But it is further evidence of a paranoid little hypocrite of the first order; a pathetic little knob who will say anything to get what he wants or to placate the electorate (bit like Rudd, really!).

Reply #133
Well I suspect Cambridge Uni must be looking for a fix, he is devaluing Rhodes Scholarships at the speed of light!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #134
...and such an irony it is that Abbott -- a proud fundamentalist Christian -- was helped in no small manner, into the PMship with the help of one of the front runners for the 'antichrist' label... Rupert and his devilish empire.  :)