Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 21: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 30584 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 21: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #90
I'm not downplaying his value in fact I'm saying he's a player that has value and one other clubs would look at.
We're not going to get anything putting a Jones up for trade and too often that's the type of player that's suggested.
We also need to look at the deals and make sure what we're offered is better than what we're giving away. If the price is right do the deal. If we have, as is suggested, some Key Position targets lined up then Casboult may be surplus to our needs. We wont need him to look after the young ones, but he may be a player another club could use.
Supporters often overvalue their own players but Casboult is the type of player that the opposition might look at and think "Great mark, Strong presence, we can fix that kicking." He has value, can we use that to our advantage. You don't shut the door on that without seeing what's offered, especially if he's asking for solid cash.

Reply #91
Dylan Buckley really building form the last month , ran hard the whole game ,a high 509 meters gained for him and 8 score involvements and 7 pressure acts .

Like what he has done for the last few weeks.

Reply #92
I'm not downplaying his value in fact I'm saying he's a player that has value and one other clubs would look at.
We're not going to get anything putting a Jones up for trade and too often that's the type of player that's suggested.
We also need to look at the deals and make sure what we're offered is better than what we're giving away. If the price is right do the deal. If we have, as is suggested, some Key Position targets lined up then Casboult may be surplus to our needs. We wont need him to look after the young ones, but he may be a player another club could use.
Supporters often overvalue their own players but Casboult is the type of player that the opposition might look at and think "Great mark, Strong presence, we can fix that kicking." He has value, can we use that to our advantage. You don't shut the door on that without seeing what's offered, especially if he's asking for solid cash.

He's not surplus to our needs. If he's great mark, strong presence then given our other options we keep him. Anyone who knows anything about the game knows you don't put young kids in key positions as our no.1, unless you don't want them to develop. We might get a draft pick, but we might screw the development of a potential young gun key forward. We need to use our brains here. Not as if we still have Waite and Henderson.

Reply #93
1. Don't agree with that at all, if a club sees a need for a Casboult type they'll pay and we won't have to give up squat! It's not a swap meet, I don't want us doing any more Hampson type deals. Sellers have control, not buyers.

I'd like to do another dozen Hampson type deals, we effectively swapped him for Docherty.
A trade like that happens once in a lifetime.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #94
I would be signing Casboult to a three year deal.

There's no need.
Despite what rabid Carlton supporters think of him his trade value is minimal, I agree with Laj that we need him at this stage but that's because we have the weakest front half in the AFL and only unproven kids to take his place.
We'll probably need to hang onto him for two years but if he's still getting a game in 2019 we're going nowhere.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #95
I think Casboult is a good option as the 2nd marking target, he's no good when he has the main marking role.

McKay and C.Curnow will be the key to Casboult's retention and success. If they can hold a spot in the 1s Casboult will be a difficult match for anybody.

Casboult is sixth in the comp for contested marks and he's been our only marking target for most of the season.

Rather than having a first or second marking target, we need several strong contested marks, players who can mark on the lead, players who know how to lead and players who can get behind their defenders.  We seem to have three in Casboult, Charlie Curnow and SOJ, and McKay could make the fourth.  Add a top class small forward to the mix, and midfielders who can hit targets, and we'd have a decent forward line.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #96
Agree on re-signing Casboult...worth more to us than on the open market and everyone on this forum knows he plays better  and is more effective with another KP forward taking some heat off him...even an average one like Liam Jones... why he hasnt been playing remains a mystery to me...he does try, and both him and the Boult seem to work together ok..if Jones had kicked straight vs the Lion we might have won...
3 year deal seems reasonable given the market and the lack of forwards.....I'd be after Stewart from GWS but more to replace Jones ....

Reply #97
Dylan Buckley really building form the last month , ran hard the whole game ,a high 509 meters gained for him and 8 score involvements and 7 pressure acts .

Like what he has done for the last few weeks.
Agree Jim, just needs to polish up the finishing.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #98
Do not care one iota about our 2nd half, our I50's or our missed opportunities......fact is, Brisbane should never have been in a position to win this game EVER based on the year they've been having. There are no excuses, it was an utter disgrace.

Said in the post-game thread last week that if we dished that up again, I'd give Brisbane half a chance.....and look what they did!? FMD.......

Rockliff has enjoyed feasting out on a total of 83....that's right - 83 possessions against us this year. Any danger of us putting any sort of work into him??? FMD......

I've got absolutely no doubts whatsoever Essendon will be celebrating hard in 2 weeks time with their 3rd win of the season.

un-fcuking-believable how badly this season has turned into utter shhit.....

Jesus-F-Christ.......
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #99
Got to watch the game at the Gabba, god we were appalling in the first half. Someone on this site keeps saying Carlton should be playing with two key forwards, I think we should try this because we certainly didn't have two key forwards on Saturday. Our kicking is dreadful. I am not sure whether our field kicking is worse or our goal kicking is worse. Silvagni is our second best forward, C Curnow is our best. It is a worry our two best forwards are first year players. Buckley needs to improve his decision making. He should have kicked a goal in the last and he should have set up Phillips in the third when we he was clear. Kerridge would be a great player if he could kick. Jones doesn't have the mental strength to be an AFL player. That goal he missed in the second quarter was pathetic. I was right behind him and he never looked like it. It was lucky to hit the post, and to kick the ball into the man on the mark a minute later compounded the folly. Thomas is cooked. Let him get to 200 games and then that will be it. He tries hard, he puts his body on the line, his brain is operating, but he just can't get to the contest. Once again he never looked like kicking that goal in the last quarter. Cunningham looked ok but need to see more of him. We are at least one quality mid-fielder short. We need Murphy back and we need one more. This would allow Curnow, Graham and Kerridge to bat down the order more. Our disposal out of the back line is hopeless. I am really running out of adjectives. Simpso Docherty and Touhy can all kick, but the continually miss their targets. I would hate to be a forward. You could see at the end of this match that this loss really hurt. Maybe if they had turned up to play in the first half, then this would not have been a loss. There are some really good opportunities for the future but bthere are going to be some dark days.

Reply #100
Do not care one iota about our 2nd half, our I50's or our missed opportunities......fact is, Brisbane should never have been in a position to win this game EVER based on the year they've been having. There are no excuses, it was an utter disgrace.

Said in the post-game thread last week that if we dished that up again, I'd give Brisbane half a chance.....and look what they did!? FMD.......

Rockliff has enjoyed feasting out on a total of 83....that's right - 83 possessions against us this year. Any danger of us putting any sort of work into him??? FMD......

I've got absolutely no doubts whatsoever Essendon will be celebrating hard in 2 weeks time with their 3rd win of the season.

un-fcuking-believable how badly this season has turned into utter shhit.....

Jesus-F-Christ.......

Tend to agree, we really struggle with matchups and some of our forward scouting of other teams is also poor...Rockcliff has the reputation of not hurting you with his possies but that doesnt mean you can just allow him to get the ball 40 times a game either....
I think we thought Brisbane are so crape we were going to roll straight over them......IMO Brisbane put way more work and planning into us than we did into them...Docherty and Simpson were manned up and we lost our run from half back and we struggled to adjust...Bolton has been outcoached in several games and I think we need to remember he is still a novice match day coach and learning the job..regardless of how successful Hawthorn were its different when you have make the final decisions and steer the ship yourself and you dont have a champion playing list to play with...

Reply #101
......fact is, Brisbane should never have been in a position to win this game EVER based on the year they've been having. There are no excuses, it was an utter disgrace.

And there you have it. Exactly.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #102
@EB1

OK he's been coaching us for a season now, but I think BB may possibly still take a few things for granted that would happen automatically with a champion team and mature on-field leadership. He's still adjusting in some ways to us being such a crape team. He must be really aware by now though what a crape load of work is ahead of him and SoS to turn this around.

We do however have some good youngsters starting to come through in particular Weitering, Cripps and Jack who will form the basis of our future. As I've posted before, roll on the trade and draft periods! - we don't want to leave these guys hanging in the wind for too long.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #103
...Bolton has been outcoached in several games and I think we need to remember he is still a novice match day coach and learning the job..regardless of how successful Hawthorn were its different when you have make the final decisions and steer the ship yourself and you dont have a champion playing list to play with...

Bolton is in no different situation now than Ratten was, he needs three or four years to determine if he can cut it. I think his biggest problem is going to be what he does with assistants. The game is too much these days for one person to manage, go as Malthouse!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #104
I didn't think that Bolton was out coached; our players simply didn't give the effort required.  That provided a view of another side of Bolton; the angry side that left players in no doubt that they needed to put in.

Once the effort was there, Bolton's coaching shone through and Leppitsch had no answers.

It seemed to me that our players thought that they had the game sewn up after the first two easy goals and I guess that is down to Bolton, the line coaches and the leaders.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball