Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 9: Post Game Calm: Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 38620 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 9: Post Game Calm: Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #105
Luke Livingston's...

It's a problem we'll hopefully be able to stop after this lot.

I watched Brisbane vs hawthorn and realised something.   Daniel Rich, Mitch Robinson,  Dane zorko,  Dane beams, Alan Christensen,  Lewis Taylor, Luke hodge even Charlie Cameron is 23. 

They are playing kids with much more accomplished senior players who actually bring something to the team besides experience.

This is why we are struggling.   We hope our kids will be better off for it, but but we are running them around with Cameron o Shea,  Sam kerridge,  and whilst we have some handy types they aren't blisteringly fast or skilled enough or strong enough or classy enough to compete and carry the load for kids around them.

Correct....what do we do to fix it?

Reply #106
Richardson is a good assistant.........not inventive or hard enough IMO, see him at Bunnings a lot, bit of a DIYer like me, talks to the punters
and is a nice bloke. Clarkson would probably tell them to feck off and leave him alone.....
Saints need a new recruiter and a new coach...I think Richardson will be fired at seasons end..

Saints lack leadership...Geary and Jack Stevens doesnt cut it...they need a player like Hodge for a couple of season to direct traffic on the field.
If Josh Kennedy from the Swans retired he might be a good get for a year or two and then coach as an assistant......

Thanks Elwood.

Reply #107
Luke Livingston's...

It's a problem we'll hopefully be able to stop after this lot.

I watched Brisbane vs hawthorn and realised something.   Daniel Rich, Mitch Robinson,  Dane zorko,  Dane beams, Alan Christensen,  Lewis Taylor, Luke hodge even Charlie Cameron is 23. 

They are playing kids with much more accomplished senior players who actually bring something to the team besides experience.

This is why we are struggling.   We hope our kids will be better off for it, but but we are running them around with Cameron o Shea,  Sam kerridge,  and whilst we have some handy types they aren't blisteringly fast or skilled enough or strong enough or classy enough to compete and carry the load for kids around them.

Yep... and that's the problem!
We have gone overboard on the rebuild and left ourselves lacking in that mid age range of players.
It's not irretrievable and Liddle actually mentioned it in an interview last week.
We've been to the draft three times
Our emphasis this year will now shift to acquiring  some quality mid-age range players (uncontracted and free agency)

Reply #108

Me and Lods have been banging on about this for ages, we've not enough structure in place for kids to grow on!

We've taken our green shoots and thrown them into a field full of weeds!

Lions have kids surrounded by experience!

Play our kids too long surrounded by bad influences, and they'll develop bad habits that you cannot fix!

Bad habits are so hard to fix, learn something the right way from the start and it becomes a good habit!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #109
Correct....what do we do to fix it?

My fear is that we can't fix it with this lot, and we have to play the wait and see game.

We heard a lot about billy hartung and his supposed character issues but have a look at where we are currently struggling (outside run) and explain to me why we didn't look at him...

We need to get a couple of cast off's IMHO.   Blokes who are surplus to requirements but would walk up start in our team.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #110
We need bulldozers, like Kennedy/Hannaberry/Rohan from the Swans, would bring a bit of Blood spirit as well
I was there, Blight missed!!!

Reply #111
It's not irretrievable and Liddle actually mentioned it in an interview last week.
We've been to the draft three times
Our emphasis this year will now shift to acquiring  some quality mid-age range players (uncontracted and free agency)

I heard that as well, but has Liddle killed some of the teams momentum public stating this, reading between the lines it means a couple of the kids will get the chop.

Rookie CEO mistake?

FWIW, for the average age profile to change positively he must mean some younger kids being replaced by mid-career types, or else we would actually make the list even younger!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #112
Oh and we need time. 

This rebuild has two elements to it.

1. Lay a foundation to do the next rebuild off.

2. Transition from the old players to the new.

We have checked the first box and the second box is a work in progress but you can see the baton has been passed in a few positions already (cripps,  fisher,  Docherty,  Charlie, Marchbank) and the rest will happen gradually.   The third box will be to start looking at how we get better and assist our new blood. 

The next step is to get a couple more Matthew Wright types into the club.  One for the midfield and one for half back.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #113
Sorry Thry but Kerrige, Mullet, O'Shae etc are castoff's, we need proven class willing to take on a challenge. Heard Benji Marshall talk this morning, he bought into this exact philosophy at Penrith (I think), surely we can convince ($$$$) a couple of hard ar$e  bas#@$ds out there to cut Crippa some slack, he is standing alone at the moment...

Reply #114
My fear is that we can't fix it with this lot, and we have to play the wait and see game.

We heard a lot about billy hartung and his supposed character issues but have a look at where we are currently struggling (outside run) and explain to me why we didn't look at him...

We need to get a couple of cast off's IMHO.   Blokes who are surplus to requirements but would walk up start in our team.

They need to be Josh Caddy quality type castoffs though...not more Mullets, OSheas...

Hartung is suited to North who have great inside players like Cunnington, Ziebell, Jacobs, Higgins etc but who need some run on the outside......wouldnt have suited us IMO as he is a poor contester like Mullet...

Reply #115
Sooo, we haven't created a suitable environment yet to foster a rebuild successfully. We need more GOOD mature players, especially big mids! Go for it SOS!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #116
They need to be Josh Caddy quality type castoffs though...not more Mullets, OSheas...

Hartung is suited to North who have great inside players like Cunnington, Ziebell, Jacobs, Higgins etc but who need some run on the outside......wouldnt have suited us IMO as he is a poor contester like Mullet...

Easy to talk about, but there are no real options coming out of contract this year that would suit, most are outside types. So that means we have to offer up something to lever out a player who is currently under contract.

What / Who would we offer?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #117
I wouldn't hesitate to offer the likely number one pick coming our way

Reply #118
I wouldn't hesitate to offer the likely number one pick coming our way

Offering a pick doesn't deliver certainty to a team releasing a contracted player, you'd have to trade someone and clubs will be interested in our youth!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #119
So the Curnow Brothers are worth 22 goals?

Call me old fashioned but I reckon 10-12 of the Dess goals came from over the back goals that's why their conversion rate was so high....when I played A grade amo footy in the 80/90's I played back 6 and our coach would be livid if a goal came without a man playing back on the line...and that was not without a spare back like they play now...Sure modern footy requires pushing up and pressing but reckon that have would have saved 5-6 of those easy goals....maybe showing my age but the old goaltender might have worked today!!!!!