Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 9: Post Game Calm: Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 38664 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 9: Post Game Calm: Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #165
Spare 20 minutes so, just for the heck of it, did some research.

Roughly, our past 5-6 years, looks like this:

3 Presidents. 3 CEOs. 3 Senior Coaches, umpteen assistant coaches. Recruiting staff turnovers... Board turnover and still a divided Board.

Capable players traded out out/sacked: E Betts, J Garlett, B Gibbs, L Henderson, J Laidler, M Robinson, Z Tuohy, J Waite & C Yarran (potential unrealised).

Capable (I know that's subjective) blokes retired/sacked: D Armfield, A Carrazzo, A Everitt, R Houlihan, M Jamison, A Joseph, C Judd, B McLean, H Scotland, B Thornton, A Walker & S White (regardless of whether we all agree that some of these blokes were a loss... most if not all would be in our best 28).

Non-hackers/not in best 28: D Viojo-Rainbow, B Boekhorst, K Jaksch, J Tutt, M Whiley, C Smith, J Foster, M Dick, L Sumner, D Gorringe, B Smedts, R Palmer, R O'Keefe, M Carter, N Duigan, S Kerridge, T Bell, C Wood, J Russell, K Lucas, M Watson, R Warnock, A Collins, P Bower, M Austin, S Hampson, P McCarthy, N Graham, J Lamb, A Mullett, J. Cachia, G Giles, N Holman, L Mitchell, A McInnes, M Davies, R Kerr, D Ellard, C O'Shea, D Buckley, J Bootsma, T Menzel & T Temay.

MIA this year (on or off the field) through poor or indifferent form, or injury: J Silvagni, M Murphy, SPS, M Kennedy, S Docherty, Marchbank, Weitering, Cuningham, Williamson, Pickett, Plowman, Phillips, Byrne, ACOS and Casboult.

Mmm, okay, think I'll go outside and find a strong tree, length of rope and chair.

:(
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #166
I think that we should look at our entire coaching team, apart from Stanton they've been too long out of the game in my opinion, but as you suggest that's only part of a bigger picture.

Teague is there too. He's been coaching ever since he retired. Reckon he goes ok. Surprised he hasn't tried for a senior gig, especially after his efforts with the Bullants.

Reply #167
We need to identify truely tough characters and get them leading the club out of this hole.
We don't need thugs, just mentally tough people that will not back down.
Our captain is the weakest captain in the competition.
Start this process today. Make Cripps skipper.
Make Ed Curnow vice captain.
Any player that doesn't commit their body to the contest plays two's.
Make Liam Jones accountable for his man!!! First and foremost he has to beat his direct opponent before trying to leap over packs, and if he does leave his man he MUST impact the contest.
The one thing any team can give is effort. We need to start by become the best tackling team in the competition.
I don't mind if we get beaten but don't get smashed like yesterday.
We also need to start hurting opposition players when we tackle and bump. We are simply too nice. Richmond tackle and bump with intent every time.

I'm too wussy to be endorsing tackling to hurt. The game is played by big, strong, fit men, and given the nature of the sport, no amount / absence of malicious intent and no amount of mucking around with the rules will ever change the overtly physical nature of the contest. But I accept I'm in the minority on this one, and so I'll leave it at that. Incidentally, there was a story going around during the Ratten era that at a certain point in his tenure, he was instructing the players to tackle to hurt at training - one player's name was mentioned as objecting to this, and that was Yarran. Make of that what you will.

The rest of what you write may well be true, but what I'm talking about is much bigger than changing captains or making Jones accountable. It's almost as though an invisible, negative force field exists around the club that turns everything to sh1t. I really cannot figure it out.

Reply #168
Teague is there too. He's been coaching ever since he retired. Reckon he goes ok. Surprised he hasn't tried for a senior gig, especially after his efforts with the Bullants.

I'd like to see a few recently retired players who were in the top bracket when they played.
Bob Murphy, Steve Johnson, Nick Riewoldt, Dane Swan, Sam Mitchell, that type,.
Stanton is the closest we've got but no one would consider him a hard at it midfielder or a top liner.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #169
Spare 20 minutes so, just for the heck of it, did some research.

Roughly, our past 5-6 years, looks like this:

3 Presidents. 3 CEOs. 3 Senior Coaches, umpteen assistant coaches. Recruiting staff turnovers... Board turnover and still a divided Board.

Capable players traded out out/sacked: E Betts, J Garlett, B Gibbs, L Henderson, J Laidler, M Robinson, Z Tuohy, J Waite & C Yarran (potential unrealised).

Capable (I know that's subjective) blokes retired/sacked: D Armfield, A Carrazzo, A Everitt, R Houlihan, M Jamison, A Joseph, C Judd, B McLean, H Scotland, B Thornton, A Walker & S White (regardless of whether we all agree that some of these blokes were a loss... most if not all would be in our best 28).

Non-hackers/not in best 28: D Viojo-Rainbow, B Boekhorst, K Jaksch, J Tutt, M Whiley, C Smith, J Foster, M Dick, L Sumner, D Gorringe, B Smedts, R Palmer, R O'Keefe, M Carter, N Duigan, S Kerridge, T Bell, C Wood, J Russell, K Lucas, M Watson, R Warnock, A Collins, P Bower, M Austin, S Hampson, P McCarthy, N Graham, J Lamb, A Mullett, J. Cachia, G Giles, N Holman, L Mitchell, A McInnes, M Davies, R Kerr, D Ellard, C O'Shea, D Buckley, J Bootsma, T Menzel & T Temay.

MIA this year (on or off the field) through poor or indifferent form, or injury: J Silvagni, M Murphy, SPS, M Kennedy, S Docherty, Marchbank, Weitering, Cuningham, Williamson, Pickett, Plowman, Phillips, Byrne, ACOS and Casboult.

Mmm, okay, think I'll go outside and find a strong tree, length of rope and chair.

:(

These blokes in bold still play for us....

Ultimately, none of this is all that concerning.

Its the known path we must continue walking down, and all we can control is setting the appropriate standards.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #170
The key is unity...but you only get that if there is a belief, by all, that the path you're on is the correct one.
And the key to that is a measurable or obvious progress in terms of individuals and the team.

Our problem at the moment is that seems to change week by week.

People want to believe and they'll grasp at the simplest positive sign (e.g a win over Essendon).
But results like yesterday are "one step, forward two back".

A concerning thing was that at three quarter time yesterday Bolton was fired up and gave them an absolute blast according to reports.
The players response was an insipid last quarter.

Supporters are one concern, but in the big scheme of things they're not the dominant factor in determining the on-field success of a football club.
Unity within the playing group is the important one.

Now there may have been numerous reasons for the lack of response
-the distractions of last week and the absence of the Curnows which is very important structurally.
-the injury toll
-young bodies just overwhelmed because of an excessive workload.

But the effort just was not there... and more importantly from Bolton's 3/4 response, instructions weren't being followed and that's something that needs to be looked at.

Put simply lods, too much left to too few, an old story for us. And the too few eventually get injured / knackered / fed up, and the end result is what we saw yesterday.

Reply #171
These blokes in bold still play for us....

Ultimately, none of this is all that concerning.

Its the known path we must continue walking down, and all we can control is setting the appropriate standards.

...and they're not up to scratch, and they took the field yesterday.

The point of the exercise was to demonstrate, in part, how we got to this diabolical place of abject failure - many poor decisions, and the jury is still out on whether the decisions of the past 2-3 years are any better... but hope remains, though dimming.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #172
I'm too wussy to be endorsing tackling to hurt. The game is played by big, strong, fit men, and given the nature of the sport, no amount / absence of malicious intent and no amount of mucking around with the rules will ever change the overtly physical nature of the contest. But I accept I'm in the minority on this one, and so I'll leave it at that. Incidentally, there was a story going around during the Ratten era that at a certain point in his tenure, he was instructing the players to tackle to hurt at training - one player's name was mentioned as objecting to this, and that was Yarran. Make of that what you will.

The rest of what you write may well be true, but what I'm talking about is much bigger than changing captains or making Jones accountable. It's almost as though an invisible, negative force field exists around the club that turns everything to sh1t. I really cannot figure it out.

That would probably be something to do with the fact that we have been cr@p for the best part of 25 years and a losing culture has firmly taken a grip of the whole club. I wonder if we have anybody in the club in the strategic management and executive positions who really knows or understands what a successful club looks like from the inside? Is BB just yet another messiah, albeit in different robes? All very well to do resets but do we have a workable plan to move forward? I don't know but what I believe is that we first need a very strong framework of coaching staff and senior players in order to foster  and develop our younger ones. Is it even possible to be successful in the AFL environment doing what we are doing, especially from the very low point that we started at? Maybe just maybe it comes down to patience and time? I'm unfortunately running out of both.  :(
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #173

Yep it does.
We are weak as piss. Literally, and have been for years.
We papered over the cracks with Judd who was as tough as they come.
Now we are going to crucify Cripps in the same way we did Judd.

You are almost correct, the game is WON by big strong fit men.
We have thrown too many kids in at once. They need strong leaders to look after them and show them the way.

Jones is a small part of this. He is 6'5" or bigger, athletically as capable as anyone playing but just doesn't impact the contest enough.
When he does he looks great but if he gets a bag kicked on him every 2-3 weeks its pointless.

They will improve drastically with E Curnow back because he adds toughness, but why not put Kerridge in there to bash and crash. It's not like he has silky skills we need to protect.

Reply #174
That would probably be something to do with the fact that we have been cr@p for the best part of 25 years and a losing culture has firmly taken a grip of the whole club. I wonder if we have anybody in the club in the strategic management and executive positions who really knows or understands what a successful club looks like from the inside? Is BB just yet another messiah, albeit in different robes? All very well to do resets but do we have a workable plan to move forward? I don't know but what I believe is that we first need a very strong framework of coaching staff and senior players in order to foster  and develop our younger ones. Is it even possible to be successful in the AFL environment doing what we are doing, especially from the very low point that we started at? Maybe just maybe it comes down to patience and time? I'm unfortunately running out of both.  :(

I'M PRETTY SURE OUR CEO KNOWS WHAT SUCCESS LOOKS LIKE ON AND OFF THE FIELD.

Reply #175
They will improve drastically with E Curnow back because he adds toughness, but why not put Kerridge in there to bash and crash. It's not like he has silky skills we need to protect.

Maybe the answer to that question is because he is crape? By hand or foot he butchers the ball continually and they've decided he causes less damage holistically to the team when he's nowhere near the ball. The fact that we can't OR wont replace him, along with O'Shea, Mullett, Graham, etc. etc. with someone from the two's is more depressing.

Reply #176
Maybe the answer to that question is because he is crape? By hand or foot he butchers the ball continually and they've decided he causes less damage holistically to the team when he's nowhere near the ball. The fact that we can't OR wont replace him, along with O'Shea, Mullett, Graham, etc. etc. with someone from the two's is more depressing.

I thought Kerridge started off OK on Sunday but by early 2Q he was back to his old self. He's not really someone to be canvassed as a solution to any of our problems - in fact he is one of our problems.

Reply #177
When I see half a dozen players run out in long sleeves, presumably because it's cold, that tells me that they're probably not of a mindset to endure the pain that's necessary to win. Think about that.

Reply #178
I'M PRETTY SURE OUR CEO KNOWS WHAT SUCCESS LOOKS LIKE ON AND OFF THE FIELD.

Hope he can bring those insights to us and is strong enough to make a positive difference in our environment then.

Reply #179
When I see half a dozen players run out in long sleeves, presumably because it's cold, that tells me that they're probably not of a mindset to endure the pain that's necessary to win. Think about that.

Tell that to SOS....  ::)
Finals, then 4 in a row!