Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Elimination Final 1 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Sydney  (Read 10128 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Elimination Final 1 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #45
In the games where we played high pressure football it was on the verge of being unsociable.... and I liked it... ALOT.
We need to bring this frenetic, high defensive game against the Swanettes. Plus being at the G with all the space, they won't enjoy too much.
Cannot bomb it to the forward line. We need to lead hard and honor the leads. Take that moment and spot a player.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #46
we cant allow the LIZARD to rebound from defence need to put clamps on him and Gulden is other dangerous player we need to concentrate on   

Reply #47
we cant allow the LIZARD to rebound from defence need to put clamps on him and Gulden is other dangerous player we need to concentrate on   
Beat me to it. Also Heeney and Papley (if he plays). Papley in particular is a big game player and will thrive playing us week 1.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #48
We play anywhere near the previous 10 weeks we win. Up to us.

Reckon this year is our 1978 before our 1979. In many ways the situation is similar.

Reply #49
The last match vs Sydney we played like crap and still kicked ourselves out of it. 

Sydney have been stuttering to the finish line in games, which is very un-sydney like, but we had the unfortunate pleasure of facing a bottom 4 team, that we have traditionally struggled with (St. Kilda, Sydney, GWS and to a lesser extent lately the Bulldogs).

They all have recently had our number one way or another.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #50
Beat me to it. Also Heeney and Papley (if he plays). Papley in particular is a big game player and will thrive playing us week 1.
Heeney has been rubbish in finals and must be due for a good one, reckon Papley will play given it's an elimination final. Agree with Jim it's our game to lose and Charlie and Harry should dine out on the Swans undersized backline imo.

Reply #51
Sydney seriously lucky to be playing finals after Adelaide debacle and then Melbourne physically out-toughed them at SCG.

They are a team not to be under estimated as their ball movement can be devastating but hopefully we can set the tone early were perceived pressure is so high they will get scared of their own shadow.

Heres hoping for some of our stars that need that match fitness battle hardness have a ripping game because if they do - I think the loser out of Collingwood and Melbourne will need to get prepared for a bruising.

Reply #52
Sydney seriously lucky to be playing finals after Adelaide debacle and then Melbourne physically out-toughed them at SCG.

They are a team not to be under estimated as their ball movement can be devastating but hopefully we can set the tone early were perceived pressure is so high they will get scared of their own shadow.

Heres hoping for some of our stars that need that match fitness battle hardness have a ripping game because if they do - I think the loser out of Collingwood and Melbourne will need to get prepared for a bruising.

Beware
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #53
Papley is the main threat as i don't rate Heeney and with Buddy out Weitering has any one tall covered but still my main concern is Longmire is a very experienced finals coach and he will like Lyon did a few weeks back want to turn the game in a scrap and i hope we are good enough under finals pressure to be able to find ways around it. These sorts of coaches are used to being the underdog and make life as hard as possible for the attacking team.

Much better for us the game being at G and not Marvel as its that much harder to flood.

Think Charlie and Harry wont have it as easy as many think and defensively the Swans play as a team and get numbers back to block space. Blokes like Martin, Motlop Cunningham and Owies will need to play big games and impact the scoreboard

Also as someone else mentioned need to play a defensive forward on lizard man and also watch Gulden very closely.

Swans wont be a push over and i hope we start well and get a buffer like Cats did to them in the GF as the longer the game gets with them in touch the harder it will be to draw away and i cant cope with a nail biter - not in our first final for 10 years!

I want to win the first final so bad hoping the players are the same!!!   

Reply #54
Papley is the main threat as i don't rate Heeney and with Buddy out Weitering has any one tall covered but still my main concern is Longmire is a very experienced finals coach and he will like Lyon did a few weeks back want to turn the game in a scrap and i hope we are good enough under finals pressure to be able to find ways around it. These sorts of coaches are used to being the underdog and make life as hard as possible for the attacking team.

Much better for us the game being at G and not Marvel as its that much harder to flood.

Think Charlie and Harry wont have it as easy as many think and defensively the Swans play as a team and get numbers back to block space. Blokes like Martin, Motlop Cunningham and Owies will need to play big games and impact the scoreboard

Also as someone else mentioned need to play a defensive forward on lizard man and also watch Gulden very closely.

Swans wont be a push over and i hope we start well and get a buffer like Cats did to them in the GF as the longer the game gets with them in touch the harder it will be to draw away and i cant cope with a nail biter - not in our first final for 10 years!

I want to win the first final so bad hoping the players are the same!!!

We have won all sorts of ways recently. Never mattered how sides have played us. St.Kilda couldn't get their hands on the ball in the 2nd half to a point it even shocked Ross Lyon. Then the tough scraps to end all tough scraps we come out on top against the hardest of all in Melbourne. If we are highly committed we win.

Reply #55
We have won all sorts of ways recently. Never mattered how sides have played us. St.Kilda couldn't get their hands on the ball in the 2nd half to a point it even shocked Ross Lyon. Then the tough scraps to end all tough scraps we come out on top against the hardest of all in Melbourne. If we are highly committed we win.
No doubt, but if we play like Sunday again, we will lose. You will see a different Sydney in finals.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #56
No doubt, but if we play like Sunday again, we will lose. You will see a different Sydney in finals.

Cue was in the rack after Charlie got his Coleman. No chance we were going close to 100% Sunday. Just ignore that one. All it did was give a few players a few kms in their legs.

We can give Sydney the same physical hammering around the ball Geelong gave them last year.

Reply #57
Everyone manage to get their tickets? I did, took 40 mins online to get through through and then the ticketing threw me so also we have level 2 membership, we are up on top level. Just happy to be there tho, cannot wait!

Reply #58
Cue was in the rack after Charlie got his Coleman. No chance we were going close to 100% Sunday. Just ignore that one. All it did was give a few players a few kms in their legs.

We can give Sydney the same physical hammering around the ball Geelong gave them last year.

Yes, and Vossy was remarkably relaxed after the game, although he was a little unhappy with some aspects.  I think that the GWS game released the pressure valve and we're about to start afresh.  The boys will be working flat out to correct the blemishes from our last two games and we'll be back to our ruthless, brutal footy against the Swans.

I suspect that Longmire has a hell of a lot more to occupy his mind than Vossy does.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #59
Yes, and Vossy was remarkably relaxed after the game, although he was a little unhappy with some aspects.  I think that the GWS game released the pressure valve and we're about to start afresh.  The boys will be working flat out to correct the blemishes from our last two games and we'll be back to our ruthless, brutal footy against the Swans.

I suspect that Longmire has a hell of a lot more to occupy his mind than Vossy does.
I cant say I share your confidence. Swans finals experience will cause us headaches.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th