Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Rd 18: Northern Blues vs Richmond (Read 16480 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Rd 18: Northern Blues vs Richmond

Reply #60
It's elementary.

The argument of attacking half backs or wing backs across codes has been brought up over and over again with usually the same results.

These players benefit from a few things.

1.  They see the game unfold ahead of them which means that they have more time to make better decisions in terms of when to attack and when not to.  This can be pivot.

2.  They usually are accountable for a man, who can be unaccountable as forwards often don't defend well hence why we use specific defensive forwards.  Get them up the ground all of a sudden they have more difficulty getting time and space as well as possession as their opponents can be much more accountable players making life more difficult.

3.  The ball comes at you often when the opposition are in possession making winning the ball easier.  Much different when you need to draw the ball up field.

I'm not saying don't try it, but I'd say we may have and no one noticed because it might not have worked that well.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #61
It's elementary.

The argument of attacking half backs or wing backs across codes has been brought up over and over again with usually the same results.

These players benefit from a few things.

They hold he entire fate of the team in their hands, they have to win the ball, then they have to hit the target.

It's 80% of the game result in their hands!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #62
They hold he entire fate of the team in their hands, they have to win the ball, then they have to hit the target.

It's 80% of the game result in their hands!

Precisely.   It's why moving people from half back up the ground can have mixed results.

I.e.  Dylan Buckley.

Fine playing off half back, putrid closer to goals.

Tuohy is better off half back and might be better closer to goals, but then we need a Tuohy replacement.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson