Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Elimination Final 1 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Sydney  (Read 10216 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Elimination Final 1 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #195
I'd go with:

B: Kemp, Weitering, McGovern
HB: Saad, McGovern, Docherty
C: Acres, Cripps, Hollands
HF: Martin, McKay, De Koning
F: Owies, C Curnow, Motlop
Fol: Pittonet, Hewett, Cerra
I/C: Walsh, Cottrell, Cincotta, Cuningham
Emerg(sub): Fogarty, Dow, Marchbank

That's pretty much as good as it gets.
Dow the sub, and Fogarty very unlucky.
There was a rumour floating around earlier this week that McGovern had some kind of facial injury...seems it might have been just a facebook speccy...but Marchbank would be reasonable cover in that situation.

Reply #196
I'd go with:

B: Kemp, Weitering, McGovern
McGovern playing 2 positions!!!

Reply #197
I was looking for Newmans name, and Im assuming that he is the other Mcgovern.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #198
McGovern playing 2 positions!!!

I was looking for Newmans name, and Im assuming that he is the other Mcgovern.

Yes, one of the Guvs is actually a heavily disguised Newy  :-[
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #199
I obviously didn't look at in depth either.  You just assume some players like Newman are there and look at the fringe selections. ;D

Reply #200
I'd go with:

B: Kemp, Weitering, Newman

Fisher out of calculation altogether?  I still worry about a battered Hollands on a wet track where his pace isn't necessarily going to be a significant advantage.

Reply #201
Fisher out of calculation altogether?  I still worry about a battered Hollands on a wet track where his pace isn't necessarily going to be a significant advantage.

Yes, Fish is stiff not to be in the 25, but so is Chugga.

I prefer the poise of Hollands to the experience of Fisher.

How good is it to have genuine selection contests?
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #202
The weather is a bit of a funny one.
I'm looking at different sites and getting some completely different forecasts.
The general consensus is a bit of rain in the afternoon easing off as the evening progresses.
The wind will also be a factor to be considered.

Let's see what the selected side looks like, and we may get bit of an idea as to the options.

Reply #203
The weather is a bit of a funny one.
I'm looking at different sites and getting some completely different forecasts.
The general consensus is a bit of rain in the afternoon easing off as the evening progresses.
The wind will also be a factor to be considered.

Let's see what the selected side looks like, and we may get bit of an idea as to the options.

The BoM forecast seems fairly positive for good footy conditions; light rain during the day, wind easing and cool rather than cold.

Rug up if you're lucky enough to be going.

Reply #204
The BoM forecast seems fairly positive for good footy conditions; light rain during the day, wind easing and cool rather than cold.

Rug up if you're lucky enough to be going.
Weather is a tough read at the moment, forecast is changing rapidly but it now looks like the worst will pass by late afternoon.

We need every ticketed Bluebagger to turn up loud and enthusiastic, it's conditions like that when a big pro-Bagger crowd can make a difference, just ask Harmes and Sheldon!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #205
Weather is a tough read at the moment, forecast is changing rapidly but it now looks like the worst will pass by late afternoon.

We need every ticketed Bluebagger to turn up loud and enthusiastic, it's conditions like that when a big pro-Bagger crowd can make a difference, just ask Harmes and Sheldon!

Rain Hail or Snow, been waiting too long for this to let a bit of weather keep me away. Go Baggers.

Reply #206
Had a good chance to listen to Voss in the press. Spoke very well. Didn’t give too much away as to what was the plan and who is playing and what role for which players. What about the weather, keeping mid players that perform well for the Swans quiet. Voss has a simple solution. You have a system and how to play any side. It doesn’t change much. You have a role so stick to it and do your job. You will lose momentum from time to time. Absorb the pressure and wrestle the momentum back in our favour. Stick to a simple plan and do your job. It doesn’t matter too much about who is selected and in what positions. Do what has worked best in the last 10 weeks and odds are it is a plan that can get the job done no matter who is on the field.

He addressed questions about targeting Cripps and Charlie and stopping their gun players. It isn’t about one or two players. You can’t stop an entire list with too much focus on individuals. Stick to the plan. Wrestle back ever contest possible. Back your confidence and self belief. Enjoy the hype. Embrace the feeling of excitement and have fun. Just remember once the siren goes, to get to your designated task as soon as possible and perform your role. You know what the winning formula looks like and what losing looks like. Do what it was to win and get you into finals. His experience in past finals can only go so far as the game has evolved and changed. This is your opportunity and it sits in your hands. He will back you and trust you will deliver.

He may have made me too confident but he is different to what he was like at the Lions. He is more relaxed and more confident since we almost completely bottomed out 10 weeks ago. He has that cheeky smile answering questions where he believes in this squad. Not that serious look in a coaches face looking stressed and not knowing what to do next.

Even his response as to how Acres is and is it wise to play him if he isn’t 100% ready. Voss said he had his fitness test and passed with flying colours. His is ready to go and eagerly ready for his opportunity to deliver. You would think a coach in this elimination finals situation to be reserved and a little nervous. Has he brought some mongrel into the players mindset? That last game looked like we rotated players to the bench to rest and not go into this final with injuries. It did not look like an all need to win the game at any cost.

Commentator experts still talk about our lack of finals experience and how this could be a disadvantage in this next game against a hungry Swans group that failed last season in the most important game of the year. What about how hungry this group might be to get a taste of a first finals kill in many years.

If we lost this game we would result overall at 7th. Not a disaster. Not great either. If we win it will be at least top 4 as a final result. Voss might get a very good pass for the season or at least resurrection of a potential fail to still get a pass for the entire season. Now we just have to win. There is no other result to look at. The players now need to back the coach in all the way in every contest. Rain, hail or Blizzard it has to be win. At any cost.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #207
Not getting ahead of myself, but I would really love to have a crack at either Melbourne or Collingwood in week 2.  

Both would be genuinely scared playing us, and the game is almost a free hit in my eyes.   

Just need to do the right thing tomorrow night!
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #208
Its never been so hard to pick a 23 man line up. I see this is as a positive and negative, get it wrong and it's curtains.
A few very unlucky chappies, sub to come from one of the emergencies, all have strengths/weaknesses.
I have settled on this (probably completely wrong) but didn't have the balls to pick a sub ;D
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #209
I'd go with:

B: Kemp, Weitering, Newman
Kennedy and Fogarty would be ins for me and Id have Cuningham and Cottrell out with the latter as my sub.
Wet night, expected heavy contested style game from the Swans who will be looking to drag the game into a rolling scrimmage and I'd want players who tackle well and can be effective in the conditions rather than be pretty.
The other McGovern brother alias Nic Newman might be in for a new experience too with strong rumours he will have a minder such has been his effect on our resurgence.
Blues by 11 points...if the weather is better than expected I'll go 23 points....