Skip to main content
Topic: Round 9 Sydney v Carlton - Pre Game Thread (Read 53692 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 9 Sydney v Carlton - Pre Game Thread

Reply #60
My prediction?

In: Graham  ;D

May be a forced inclusion with injuries to Gibbs and Judd.

Wasn't Barker the assistant coach who allegedly said Graham wasn't up to AFL standard?

I hope Graham gets picked.
I hope he plays well.
I want success for this club as much as the next bloke.
However, i think he'll be nothing more than an honest battler at best.

He reminds me of Adam Bentick. Arrived on the scene and got 30+ touches. Dominated the VFL, was nothing more than average at AFL level due to limited athletic ability and upside.

Reply #61
Bentick was as slow as a slug and had not much skill. Totally different to Graham. Also that comment about Barker and Graham was navy Andrew stuff, hardly something to base an opinion on.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #62
Bentick was as slow as a slug and had not much skill. Totally different to Graham.

So Graham is Chris Yarran? Fast, agile and an excellent user of the ball??

Reply #63
Graham is no slug, has far more creativity about him and can use the ball.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #64
Graham is no slug, has far more creativity about him and can use the ball.

Graham is slow (for AFL level) and can use the ball by hand, but is not a great kick.

Again, same as Bentick for me.

Reply #65
Of course he's Bentick to you. It suits your Mick agenda.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #66
May i say that poor Nick Graham has been scrutinised like few others here!

I'm certain he will get an opportunity this year to show if he is up to it. Having seen a little of him play he looks at best to be an good footballer with the potential to improve and get a few games at league level and make a modest contribution. And that is about it. Happy to be proven wrong though.

Reply #67
Bentick was more coalface ball winner and tagger unlike Graham who is more creative,skilled but lacks Benticks application at this stage...two different players IMO.
The criteria for promotion is form in the twos for most supporters and I think Graham has been in form and deserves a run of games in the seniors.

Reply #68
It will be interesting to see how we go against Sydney now we have flicked Mick. I always had reservations about his appointment: alas my worst nightmares rather than my hopes came true.

Now we have a new coach, even if it is for half a season. We shall see if he can make us play with more desire.

It is often the case that a new coach stimulates a team to a win first up. I would not put my money on that happening this week, no matter how good Barker is. With Judd and Gibbs out we are not likely to get the ball out of the middle that often.

Graham should come in, but if the scuttlebutt is accurate Barker doesn't rate him. Where he starts will probably demonstrate just how accurate the scuttlebutt is.

I wonder if Barker will be as fixated with Jones as Malthouse appeared to be? In fact, I wonder if we'll be able to notice the difference in the game plan?
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #69
Most interest in this game will be in Stuart Dew IMO...gets a preview of the team he may be coaching and I reckon his head will be on camera more than Longmire in the Swans coaches box...

Reply #70
If we can achieve 50 tackles in this game, I'll take that as a vast improvement ;D
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #71
Most interest in this game will be in Stuart Dew IMO...gets a preview of the team he may be coaching and I reckon his head will be on camera more than Longmire in the Swans coaches box...

the best candidate for me..after the proper independent process

if its dew...then yes

Reply #72
If we can achieve 50 tackles in this game, I'll take that as a vast improvement ;D

The stats will be telling, particularly up there.

We've had awful numbers versus the Swans for a while. Our tackle count has been shizen against them a lot.

We can expect miracles, crap we probably have no right to expect any change at all, but hope springs eternal.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #73
Under 50 tackles must be considered a complete fail. It really indicates the players hate playing for our club. A large tackle count will indicate the players were looking for a fresh start and want to still be at our club. Its all on the players now. Barker really isn't that much of a difference other than he is just a new face and a fresh start of something different and something new. This can make a huge change or it can be nothing more than the same cr@p all over again. Friday will be the story the media will jump on all over again. The media isn't finished with us just yet.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #74
the best candidate for me..after the proper independent process

if its dew...then yes

The gloss will be on Dew if the Swans win the flag too, ditto for Bolton if the Hawks get up and Simon Lloyd from Freo
might get into the top candidates if the Dockers win the silverware...

I dont see the next coach who will probably come from the assistant pile being from anyhwhere but the successful clubs....