Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Rd 12: Northern Blues vs Port Melbourne (Read 10897 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Rd 12: Northern Blues vs Port Melbourne

Reply #15
I'd rather the club buy Tatts tickets than play Smedts!

I thought he was among our best today, and at least he can lay a tackle.
Byrne was the standout, he's a cut above and in what was generally a poor standard game he stood out like dogs knackers.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #16
No Macreadie, no SPS, no Nick Graham, no Lamb and no Sheahan: side goes from looking solid to being an also ran.
Not enough effort from enough players.

DISPOSALS: Boekhorst 36, Wilson 23, O'Shea 22, Smedts 22, Russell 20, Jaksch 17

[1] Kym LeBois: doesn't look like he really wants to be there. His attack on the ball is poor and he managed only 2 possessions on the day. He had no impact on the game at all and contributed nothing.
At the moment he appears to be the dud in last year's draft cohort, no matter how good he is at kicking goals. There is no pressure from him and his opponent has an easy afternoon. Unless he starts to put in and look like he wants to be there, he is gone.
He looked much better as an U18: it looked like he belonged. I wouldn't play him in the VFL again until he really showed something.

[2] Jared Pickett: flashed in and out of the play and showed some spark, but he was missing when the hard ya4rds were required. He does not like it hard at all: he would be one of the softest guys on our list at present. At least he does tackle and chase, but he gives his man too much space as a defender.
I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, as I have seen more effort from him than I have from some. But he is really soft and he goes missing much too much for my taste.

[3] Blaine Boekhorst: he had 36 possessions and was one of our more effective players. His kicking was OK and he did tackle. He also put some pressure on. He looks like he belongs out there: why can't he do that in the 1sts?

[4] Ciaran Byrne: not enough of the ball yet, as he is nowhere near as fit as he would want to be, but he looks like a senior footballer. His aerial work and his persistence really stood out. But he cannot yet produce those blistering runs that tear teams apart.
If he is thinking of this as a pre-season for 2018, then he is doing the right thing. He is coming along. By round 31 next year he will have that dash back and the attack from defence.

[5] Jesse Glass-McCasker: Jesse played in defence and took time on Lisle and Conroy, who had 1 goal and not much ball between them. He best game for quite a while.
He is required in defence at the moment, but I do wonder about his development. He was prepared to run more today.

[6] Kristian Jaksch: will not be with us next year. Doesn't want it enough. Doesn't work enough. Doesn't work hard for his team mates. He played quite well in defence, sharing the Port tall forwards, but he just made too many mistakes didn't put in the extra effort when it is required. Provided nothing as a forward. He got 17 possessions but he hurt with few of them.

[7] Dennis Armfield: Dennis did better than he has done for quite a while. he had a negative job and he did it quite well. He fumbled a bit, but you could see that he was trying to revive the troops and give some leadership.
On that effort you would definitely keep him around, but can he replicate the effort?

[8] Rhys Palmer: had 0 possessions in the 3rd quarter, but he did give it a go. Not looking like he is going to get many more senior games on that effort. He is really missing Phillips' ruck dominance, as Korchek and Gorringe don't give him many chances.
He will see out his contract, but that is going to be it unless he starts producing more.

[9] Dylan Buckley: one of his poorest games of the year. He couldn't get any space and he leaked goals. Considering how many half decent games he has played, this one would put him back some way.

[10] Paddy Kerr: didn't have a great day, but had relatively few opportunities. The ball did not come down well or quickly. His goal was excellent and he did try, but his tackles get broken too easily.
Another couple of pre-seasons will help his strength and endurance.

[11] Liam Sumner: 12 possessions and 1 goal is not enough. Not even close. But it is better than LeBois and Pickett on the day. Missing one late that was pretty easy also hurt us.

[12] Harry McKay: well beaten today by Lucas Cook, which is embarrassing. However, we did Harry no favours in the way we delivered the ball to him. Fev would have recognized the treatment. :( Still, H's hands were not good today and struggled to break contact or to use his strength.
I think H would do better in the seniors, as the skill level would give him a better chance of getting the ball, but he isn't producing the 2nd efforts and stuff you really want at the moment either.

[13] Matthew Korchek: we badly lacked in the centre square today where Port's mature mids hurt us, while their ruck stopped Korchek from being able to guide his taps. However, Korchek kept at it and was not our worst. He shared the taps and he gave a contest, but he is still a fair way off what we really need.
We will probably give him the 3rd year available to an International Rookie, but he does not look like he is going to be a success.

[14] Billie Smedts: 22 possessions was OK, but this was not his most effective game. His kicking was not what we required. However, he will probably be among the best players. Just.

[15] Daniel Gorringe: not a gifted ruckman, but he was reasonable around the ground. Not 100% fit either, but good enough to play. He provided something, but not enough.

[16] Andrew Gallucci: kicked a couple of goals but didn't have much influence on the game. Won't be there next year.

[17] Cameron Polson: not a great number of possessions, but had a negative role after half time and did it very well, keeping his opponent to 6 possessions for the half. There was promise in this sort of effort, but I'd like to see more positive stuff from him.

And the VFL guys:
[1] Cam O'Shea: a strong game from O'Shea. One of our best.

[2] Luke Russell: Not enough early, but stepped up after half time.

[3] Michael Stavrou: another good effort from the young kid. His work in the air is good and his decision making likewise. He was very good in defence and more than worth his spot.

[4] Tom Wilson: not one of his best games, but he got little help from the ruckmen.

[5] Glenn Strachan: solid in defence.

[6] Alex Federico: a 17 year old kid in his 2nd game, he wasn't bad. More effective than a number of Carlton listed players.

AFL Vic Development League 2017
Northern Blues   3.6  4.7  6.10  11.12 (78)
Port Melbourne   1.1  5.3  8.5  9.7 (61)

GOALS:
Northern Blues: Romero 2 Corboy 2 Jones 2 Jordan 2 Thorpe  Payne  Stevens
Port Melbourne: Renooy 2 Gleeson  Waddell  Treverton  Anastasio  Pickess  Golby  De Soysa

BEST:
Northern Blues: Declase Ballard Jones Stevens Thorpe Bolger
Port Melbourne: Hayes Golby Renooy Vella Wenn Johnson

A great effort from the youngsters. Time Jones needs to be promoted.

Peter Jackson VFL 2017
Northern Blues   1.1  5.4  6.5  9.9 (63)
Port Melbourne   4.3  9.6  9.8  13.8 (86)
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #17
Sheesh, what a hot and cold performance from the side and many players (of course!). We met a very typical G Ayres coached Port, persistent and consistent.

I really felt for H as delivery to him was simply appalling, he was never going to get any confidence through grabbing a few with how it came to him.

One minute I was thrilled by Pickett's dash and dare and skills, then it was either, 'oh no' or 'where is he?'

Casey aint gonna learn much more surrounded by a rabble, time for a recall. His poise will be valued.

I thought Smedts was 'nearly' there. You can see something there. Just have to drill him hard to get quicker and better reflex reactions... at present he has the reaction time of a dinosaur.

Best game I've seen from JG-M for a long while. Showed promising glimpses.

Lucas MK II (Boekhorst) was really good and hopefully will continue to play well so we might actually get a 3rd rounder for him at year's end. 'Tell Baggers he's dreaming'... I hear from the stands.

Kerr shows enough to be cautiously optimistic, you can see the disciplined improvement in his game.

Polson is toughening up nicely.

O'Shea stating a good case for rookie consideration.

Hard to find anything promising with the rest.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #18
Armfield was good, plenty of the usual Denis turnovers but he attacked the ball hard and put in 100% right to the siren.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #19
We lost 4 in a row now? Where are we on the ladder?

Reply #20
Williamson and ACOS back next week so should strengthen Northern Blues team.

Reply #21
Is Crippa's young cousin still playing for us? I think he was in dev side.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #22
Smedts is nothing more than a list clogger.  We were stiffed on the Touhy deal.  I can't believe how little we got back for what we gave away.  Grigg-Collins deal mark II.  Black mark against SOS right there but you can't get everything right.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #23
Smedts is nothing more than a list clogger.  We were stiffed on the Touhy deal.  I can't believe how little we got back for what we gave away.  Grigg-Collins deal mark II.  Black mark against SOS right there but you can't get everything right.

Touhy deal gave us the upgrade needed to get Marchbank. We essentially swapped Touhy for Marchbank and Smedts. Smedts was steak knives essentially.

Even allowing for Smedts we did well there. Big time!

Reply #24
Smedts is chewing up salary cap.  Dead wood.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #26
Which brings me to an important point.  We must have money to burn.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #28
Smedts isn't the hack some are painting him as in my opinion, he's no gun but he's an honest, competent footballer who can fill injury holes and not be disgraced.
Every club who dreams of success needs a pool of at least 28 or 30 players capable of senior football at a reasonable level, as of today Carlton has about 25.

Reply #29
Smedts can be a very capable player....maybe he's not interested enough, anyone know him or people who know him?

Palmer too i thought would have seen much more senior game time....
Finals, then 4 in a row!