Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Parlay: AFL 2019 Rd 3: Carlton vs Sydney (Read 35650 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Parlay: AFL 2019 Rd 3: Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #165
Bolton actually has a worse record than Pagan.

Technically yes, but we are in more games with Bolton than we ever were with Pagan.
1 in 4 games we got belted by 10 goals or more.

Under Bolton its better than 1 in 5, despite more losses.....and despite not having Kouta, Fevola etc...

Reply #166
I'm clutching here.... I've seen quarters in 2019 where we matched or beat (outscored)  sides,  although I never felt we could seriously win any of the past three games.  As opposed to 2018 when many games were over within 15 minutes and there were no periods of good footy,  just game after game of total dreck.  So based on the minutes of acceptable footy played,  I'd put us up on last season but like every body else I want to see four quarters of good footy.  Then wins will eventuate.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #167
Technically yes, but we are in more games with Bolton than we ever were with Pagan.
1 in 4 games we got belted by 10 goals or more.

Under Bolton its better than 1 in 5, despite more losses.....and despite not having Kouta, Fevola etc...

In our three spoon years under Pagan our percentages were 73, 75 and 74%.
In 2018 it was 59%.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #168
In our three spoon years under Pagan our percentages were 73, 75 and 74%.
In 2018 it was 59%.

2018 was our worst season in our history, so i'm not surprised.

Despite our 3 losses so far this year, and all the doom and gloom that it has brought with it, our % is currently 75.5%

So people struggling to see any improvement for you need to look no further.

BTW,
Tigers finished 1st in H+A last year
Swans finished 6th
Port finished 10th, but had a winning 12-10 record. That would've been enough to finish 7th in 2017!

So its not like we've had any easy games to start of the year, yet we have still been in every game up to this point.
Why is the sky falling again?

Reply #169
2018 was our worst season in our history, so i'm not surprised.
Despite our 3 losses so far this year, and all the doom and gloom that it has brought with it, our % is currently 75.5%

So roughly the same as our spoon years under Pagan?
Things can only get better I guess.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #170
So roughly the same as our spoon years under Pagan?
Things can only get better I guess.

As problematic as it sounds, and despite the rhetoric, I don't believe the club prioritized winning games of footy under Bolton. They were clearly and openly loading up on draft talent, and other FA's, state leaguers etc along the way. His results need to be seen in the context of aims and objectives. As I see it, the club is trying to make up for 20 years of dodgy drafting in 3, at least in part. 

Reply #171
I always worried and wrote it here many times that the tactic of defaulting in selections and tactics to develop youth, and losing to improve, might/would condition players to fail.

My fears are not yet dismissed!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #172
I always worried and wrote it here many times that the tactic of losing to improve would condition players to fail.

My fears are not yet dismissed!

The epic rebuild is certainly a high risk / high reward strategy, and it may yet fail. Too early to call IMO. 

Reply #173
The epic rebuild is certainly a high risk / high reward strategy, and it may yet fail. Too early to call IMO.

Sorry hadn't finished typing.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #174
I'm clutching here.... I've seen quarters in 2019 where we matched or beat (outscored)  sides,  although I never felt we could seriously win any of the past three games.  As opposed to 2018 when many games were over within 15 minutes and there were no periods of good footy,  just game after game of total dreck.  So based on the minutes of acceptable footy played,  I'd put us up on last season but like every body else I want to see four quarters of good footy.  Then wins will eventuate.

That’s a fair assessment Prof.

Our best so far this season is streets ahead of where we were last season.  However, we still have blokes who don’t get enough of the footy (or don’t get the footy at all), miss easy goals and lose opponents when defending.  We could have been eight goals to a couple in the first quarter and that probably would have produced a different result.  As it was, we were the team to have doubts about our ability to win when the Swans got back into the game at the end of the quarter.

A bit of luck with injuries, decent umpiring and a dose of self-belief and we’ll shock a few sides - and some supporters  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #175
Over the past 3 weeks I've watched matches on tv covering all sides in the AFL.  The one stat where we are clear winners is turnovers, mostly by foot.

Here we are into our fourth year of re-build with many first round picks.  So why is it that we have recruited so many players lacking the ability to perform the most basic task of our game - the ability to kick a football properly?

Outside of Weitering and SPC, who do you trust to pass the ball to advantage?  It must kill the spirit of the players when game after game , year after year, they see the turnovers resulting from poor kicking skills from players attempting to move the ball into the forward line from half back or midfield.  And that's even before we take into account the handball clangers.

It doesn't matter whether we have inexperienced or hardened mid-20s players, if they can't kick properly then we are destined to be thumped by the top 8 sides for years to come.

Reply #176
Keep in mind we are in this situation because we chose to be!

Having just re-watched the game, some things;

Overall, not as bad as things seems, defence is looking surprisingly good, the main issues we have seem to be caused by occasions when our mids or senior players give up the chase causing either a shortage of numbers or allowing too much opposition space. Perhaps it's a balance issue.

I realise the Swans are not a classically fast team, but we seem to not get the mix of press/break quite correct and the likes of Parker, Henney and McVeigh exploited those opportunities. We pressed forward, and left them space to rebound. Watching it makes the game look heavily biased towards the Swans, but most of the Swan's transitional kicks and marks would be empty possessions if we had kicked straight. We force a turnovers, but then we miss too many targets and they didn't.

We fail to often at doing the little things, our kids play like kids, they often dispose of the ball then watch momentarily instead of placing a block on opponent or pushing to re-joining the chain of disposals. Oddly, this is starkly highlighted by a 1st year in Walsh, a player who does the right thing every time and highlights the deficiencies of the others. But I note the coach says Walsh is free to play as a newbie, are the others over-coached? The worry is, there are some pretty senior heads who frequently fail to do the right thing.

Even more oddly our F50 looks not too far off being OK as well. In the absence of Charlie I expected the talls to be ordinary having been just average even with Charlie in place. But in fact Charlie's absence seems to have made things better in that they were not getting in each others way. Just as on the day Charlie got injured we looked better, when McGovern went off with hamstring tightness we looked better! Big questions need to asked. In context of this, our single ruck policy isn't working, when McGovern went off moving McKay out of F50 is robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Levi didn't have a bad game, he didn't clunk enough marks but he presented well, and as I want he crunched some packs in a way a 200cm x 100kg KPF should. Those actions are enabling McKay to mark, it makes defenders hesitant even if Levi himself doesn't get a result. He wasn't good value in the ruck, in Lobbe's absence whether it be McKay or Levi we basically surrendered the ruck. One problem we have is our young midfield doesn't rove well to the dominant opposition ruck.

Lobbe wasn't bad at stoppages, but was clearly below form and/or fitness and as a result not influential around the ground. If he had been as aggressive as Levi, again even if it had not direct benefit, things might have been different. Sinclair had significant influence due to his physical presence, we did little to curb that influence. Yet I feel we cannot and should not rush SpecialK back. The return of a fit SpecialK might be as influential to our mens team as was the return of Davey to the girls. It could make the second half of this season very interesting!

SPS, Dow, Walsh, Setterfield were all quite good in that they won their fair share of contests, in fact if they had used the ball better we probably would have won the contest. The only concern I have is that  they won't find any opponents slower than the Swans, although I concede the Swans are ultra-professional and nearly always do the right thing, the little things.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #177
I don't know how any of the posters here that used to crap on Malthouse's gameplan can defend this crape we have been dishing up for the last 2 or 3 years.

I was excited to get Bolton and what he could bring from Hawthorn but looks like we missed the boat as the better assistants (Simpson and Cameron) were snapped up earlier.

The no contract thing that turned Dew off has really f%^&ed us.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #178
I don't know how any of the posters here that used to crap on Malthouse's gameplan can defend this crape we have been dishing up for the last 2 or 3 years.

I was excited to get Bolton and what he could bring from Hawthorn but looks like we missed the boat as the better assistants (Simpson and Cameron) were snapped up earlier.

The no contract thing that turned Dew off has really f%^&ed us.

So you reckon Bolton is the runt of the Clarkson litter ?

Reply #179
I walked away from that game with the same sense of foreboding I have felt around Easter time for the last 5 years. We are staring down the barrel of another bottom 4 finish - for the 5th year in a row!! I'm losing faith in BB and my 9yo son has all but given up supporting the club because he can't take being beaten almost every week.

We talk about how some individuals improved, and obviously they have. But at the same time an even larger group have stagnated or gone backwards [or are proving to be not up to the level in the first place]. But more worryingly, our basic game plan, tactics and ability to score points remains incredibly poor and shows no signs whatsoever to my eyes of improving at all.

Our senior players need to be hard, uncompromising types who make good decisions and set the tone for the younger players to follow. Murphy, Thomas and [to a lesser extent Simmo] aren't that type of player. We have one star and bunch of kids and you are never going to be a force with a set up like we have.

We handed that game to the Swans on platter - let Mills & Lloyd run around half back and pick up possessions under no pressure. Cripps v Kennedy was always likely to be a draw, so the real impact was how the respective  second midfielders fared - Jones comprehensively took the points over Dow. We play Lobbe and Cas against one of the fittest rucks in the comp and got smashed again. Heeney v Plowman is a match made in heaven for Heeney and he won easily.

As soon as any team locks down on us and turns up pressure we go to water time and time again. Every team knows it - we are ok when the game is a shoot out but as soon as a opposition coach turns the screws we fumble and go into our shell.

And don't get me started on our forward line. 3 games in and we are track to score 1500/1600 points for the season which will all but guarantee a bottom 4 finish. We haven't had a AFL capable forward line since we had Betts and Waite. Harry is coming along nicely, but with such little support in terms of small forward goal kicking capability it isn't enough to kick a winning score. Ed Curnow kicking 4 goals shows just dysfunctional our forward line really is!