Skip to main content
Topic: Vertonghen's dive, why soccer is the world's most overated sport! (Read 25631 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Vertonghen's dive, why soccer is the world's most overated sport!

Reply #45
A lot of soccer clubs fine their players for doing this for example Tony Pulis manager of Crystal Palace just fined his winger Jerome Thomas for falling over in the box with no contact.

How much has he been fined if it's a public donation to charity it is real, I read it as a reaction after the Vertonghen fact!

A lot of clubs, really, can you name the player fined previous to Jerome Thomas incident?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #46
At a quick glance.....

Moyes has previously fined players at Everton for diving, including Phil Neville, now a member of his backroom staff at Old Trafford, and was outspoken in his criticisms of Luis Suárez – like Young, another with a history of diving – before the Merseyside derby last season.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/sep/16/david-moyes-ashley-young-dive-manchester-united
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #47
At a quick glance.....

Moyes has previously fined players at Everton for diving, including Phil Neville, now a member of his backroom staff at Old Trafford, and was outspoken in his criticisms of Luis Suárez – like Young, another with a history of diving – before the Merseyside derby last season.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/sep/16/david-moyes-ashley-young-dive-manchester-united

Another mystery fine, do you have any that actually quote an amount rather than imply a bag of jelly beans!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #48
You realise I'm just clicking on the first thing I'm seeing this doesn't really require much effort.

The MLS Disciplinary Committee — after spending days debating whether to issue a first precedence-setting suspension for "diving" in a game — instead on Friday announced a decision to fine D.C. United forward Charlie Davies $1,000.

The play at issue happened in the 83rd minute of the June 18 match vs. Real Salt Lake.

http://www.sportingnews.com/soccer/story/2011-06-24/charlie-davies-dive-nets-1000-fine-DC-United
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #49
You realise I'm just clicking on the first thing I'm seeing this doesn't really require much effort.

The MLS Disciplinary Committee — after spending days debating whether to issue a first precedence-setting suspension for "diving" in a game — instead on Friday announced a decision to fine D.C. United forward Charlie Davies $1,000.

The play at issue happened in the 83rd minute of the June 18 match vs. Real Salt Lake.

http://www.sportingnews.com/soccer/story/2011-06-24/charlie-davies-dive-nets-1000-fine-DC-United

Based on your earlier arguments you offer $1000 fine to a bloke probably earning 600X ~ 1000X that amount annually, in a backyard competition what is more, as evidence of major league Soccer taking diving seriously. Really? You would have been better off referencing Dingley United.

And what is more you introduced ASADA and the AFL situation into this debate, with the penalties hanging over the heads of the players and the fines and penalties already handed out to the club and some of it's officials, and you offer a $1000 fine in a smuck competition as a serious comparison. Again Dingley United is a better reference.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #50
You asked for an example I provided one. You then asked for one with a monetary value and I provided you with that. You need to learn how to become more gracious in defeat.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #51
You asked for an example I provided one. You then asked for one with a monetary value and I provided you with that. You need to learn how to become more gracious in defeat.

When it happens I will be!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #52
Thanks for proving my point! :))
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #54

Don't hold your breath.

Reply #55

Don't hold your breath.
$1000 might be a lot of money in most peoples world, but in the world of soccer players it probably isn't even a round of drinks. Hardly a fine, more like losing some small change down the couch!

Given there are millions of betting dollars riding on those games, perhaps $100K might make a difference.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #56
All day to think about it and thats what you come up with?

Not all of the soccer players are on big dollars and that could be a match payment for a player of that calibre.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #57
All day to think about it and thats what you come up with?

Not all of the soccer players are on big dollars and that could be a match payment for a player of that calibre.

Obviously they play free after Beckham took all the US bikkies!

I mean poor Charlie Davies, only on $250K for a dozen or so games. In the season he was fined he was among the clubs highest paid and reported to be playing for bread and water on $250K ending up the league leading goal scorer. $1000 fine, yeah right! Most of these guys are reported to be earning far more off the field due to the fledgling leagues tight salary cap.

And Vertonghen isn't he on about $6M a season, what fine for him a round of drinks for the team and a cut of the dodgy betting pool?

It stinks mate, as bad as EFC and their pathetic PED attempts.

The Force Awakens!

Reply #58

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/09/new-england-signs-charlie-davies-now-apparently-a-bigger-part-of-the-revolution-plan/

Only on 60k now.  So given that information a $1000 fine would be fair as a sanction for that competition that can be applied unilaterally.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #59

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/09/new-england-signs-charlie-davies-now-apparently-a-bigger-part-of-the-revolution-plan/

Only on 60k now.  So given that information a $1000 fine would be fair as a sanction for that competition that can be applied unilaterally.

Except the $1000 fine came back when he was playing at D.C. United on $250K, back then he was probably wiping his arse with $1000 bills!

Of course we won't mention Vertonghen's unilateral fine, $0!

This Soccer game may be even more crooked than cycling!
The Force Awakens!