Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 6: Carlton vs. Hawthorn (Read 47314 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 6: Carlton vs. Hawthorn

Reply #240
I agree. He was ok. But I still prefer Krooz plus another ruck. I don't think Philips is as bad away from stoppages and bounces as some make out.

Our other rucks do zero around the ground. Rules another straight out for mine. Been proven time and again we do better with one ruck. Kreuzer always struggles when he shares. Why go back there? Besides, we have McKay, Charlie, McGovern and Casboult, who is expendable these day although he's playing some of his better football surprisingly. Where does one propose we fit another tall, especially a ruckman?

Reply #241
This sounds like a set up question, but anyway, I'll play along.

Last night he wasn't great. He does what he can, but when compared to the Hawks leaders and senior players, our equivalents just aren't there. You can't just erase flags, habitual winning etc., and say it's a level playing field.

It's no set up, just a straight forward question.
The Flags and Habitual winning you talk about are created by leaders.
Murphy has been a leader and one of our highest paid players for years.
The Hawks best 4 players of the last 15 years no longer play there, but their next tier are still way better than he is.

Now there is a line "He does what he can".
That isn't much at all

Reply #242
Our other rucks do zero around the ground. Rules another straight out for mine. Been proven time and again we do better with one ruck. Kreuzer always struggles when he shares. Why go back there? Besides, we have McKay, Charlie, McGovern and Casboult, who is expendable these day although he's playing some of his better football surprisingly. Where does one propose we fit another tall, especially a ruckman?

You can make very good cases for playing 1 or 2 rucks, as other teams show week in week out.

Reply #243
It's no set up, just a straight forward question.
The Flags and Habitual winning you talk about are created by leaders.
Murphy has been a leader and one of our highest paid players for years.
The Hawks best 4 players of the last 15 years no longer play there, but their next tier are still way better than he is.

Now there is a line "He does what he can".
That isn't much at all

Flags and habitual winners are created by professional clubs that have their sh1t together, on field and off. Our leadership cupboard has been bare for ages, throughout the club. Why just focus on Murphy ?

Reply #244
Flags and habitual winners are created by professional clubs that have their sh1t together, on field and off. Our leadership cupboard has been bare for ages, throughout the club. Why just focus on Murphy ?

I can throw Gibbs in too.

Judd set a standard that was easy to follow, but they couldn't, wouldn't or didn't.

Kruezer has always been first class in his attack on the ball and contest, so as the leader/leaders they didn't perform then and still don't now.

Reply #245
You can make very good cases for playing 1 or 2 rucks, as other teams show week in week out.

Can't play two rucks unless they can both do something alot more than just tap. If that's all they can do then they're a waste of space. Ideally, if De Koning was another year into his development, and not injured of course, then you could more likely play another ruck. De Koning can play forward very well. Not Phillips or Lobbe though. They are lone first rucks or nothing.

Reply #246
Compared to last year, our good is much better... much better. However, the same problem as last year still exists. When opposition clubs apply real pressure, up the ante, we go to water. Needs only be for 20 minutes, a quarter or a quarter and a half, but it's enough to lose us the game... another brave defeat. It's habitual. Opponents would love this about us.

Some blame youth, some blame not enough from senior players, senior coach blames areas of disconnect, some blame senior coach, some blame not enough senior players and so it goes. But the cold hard facts are that when any opponent applies ridgy didge pressure... we do poos in pants, it's our signature.

Some, very defensively, look everywhere but the senior coach for an explanation - don't touch Bambi. Why is BB exempt from accountability/scrutiny? Why is our poor W/L situation little to do with the senior coach's performance (according to some on here)? I bet BB doesn't see it like that... strikes me as that kinda guy. Shouldn't everyone at our club be under constant accountability/scrutiny?

I bet BB's looking in the full-length mirror asking himself important questions about his coaching /communication /leadership, about his line coaches, about his players, about his game-plan - (remember your family BB, they'll still be there when footy aint). He said (hopefully jokingly) that he wouldn't have slept last night - sounds to me like someone who does not believe we should be losing.

Perhaps that's the downside of a stated rebuild, the drop in expectation, maybe that's created a psychological millstone that we just can't quite shrug... pressures off - and in a game where 1% either way can mean a great deal...

But then, as the AFL and media often remind us, the game is in the ***entertainment business. And it would seem we are certainly competitive and entertaining... mission accomplished.

***bullsh1t. The combativeness, skill and simple magic of our game is the core, the heart and soul... it just happens to be entertaining. But that's a story for another day.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #247

Judd set a standard that was easy to follow, but they couldn't, wouldn't or didn't.

Kruezer has always been first class in his attack on the ball and contest, so as the leader/leaders they didn't perform then and still don't now.

I've had this discussion with you before. Your ideas on leadership are based on what you can see, what is visible to you on field, i.e big blokes throwing their weight around. And that's fine up to a point. Expecting Murphy to play like Krooz is unrealistic IMO. There is more than one type of leadership. Docherty stated in an interview recently that most leadership these days happens off field.  

But we're just wasting our time. I doubt Murph will go down as one of our great skippers, but my point all along has been that, at least IMO, your constant potting of him is OTT and leaves out too many other puzzle pieces.

Reply #248
Wow. Really ? Thanks for that. That means only 12 after 1/2 time.

Translation ? His team mates woke up and thought maybe they should help out.

Credit where it's due though. He's a very neat player and played very well.

I actually saw 26.  Either way, it's either a 14 or 18 possession second half which is prolific.

FWIW Scully, shiels and wingard were the three that went up a notch in the second half.

Our mids weren't as prolific.  When you look at the stats of all the players you actually have to wonder how we were in a winning position at all.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #249

Kreuzer struggled yesterday by himself and that happens time and time again when he comes up against the best rucks.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #250
Kreuzer struggled yesterday by himself and that happens time and time again when he comes up against the best rucks.
He was on fire in the first half. Absolutely blitzing. What happened to him in the last? Was he injured? does anyone have an update?

Reply #251
How good is Marc Murphy? Wow!

We should petition the club for a bronze statue of him outside the club in lieu of his courageous and skillful contributions over the past decade or so. I'd also like a never ending video loop on a screen below the statue showing him at his best. You know, things like:

- Avoiding all contact when he is presented with any opposition player large or small in his vicinity
- Shanking his kicks and missing every target by either kicking it over their head or missing either side by at least 3-4 metres
- Scrubbing a shot for goal along the ground when the opportunity presents itself to a kick a goal to win the game
- Looping his kicks so they take an eternity to reach the intended target giving the opposition ample time to spoil
- And my personal favourite, why kick a drop punt for goal from 35 metres directly in front when you can do a right foot banana and kick it out on the full. Show boating like the champion he is! He never misses an opportunity to show the world what he's got in that endless bag of tricks of his.

Ahhhh, classic Marc! Skills galore and loves to showcase them to all and sundry every week.

Thanks Marc! You're a wonder!
Drugs are bad, mmmkay...

Reply #252
He was on fire in the first half. Absolutely blitzing. What happened to him in the last? Was he injured? does anyone have an update?

I'm curious as well. Nothing that I can find on the net, at this stage. Hopefully that's a good sign.

Reply #253

tend to agree.

Reply #254

I thought Cripps was captain yesterday?
The Force Awakens!