Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Rd 9: Northern Blues vs Frankston at Ikon (Read 28152 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Rd 9: Northern Blues vs Frankston at Ikon

Reply #75
VFL has developed bodies as well - weak argument. If he is good enough to play then he should play

Absolutely.

Gives Everitt/Walker something to think about.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #76
VFL has developed bodies as well - weak argument. If he is good enough to play then he should play

This is an even weaker argument for selecting him in the firsts.

Big, usually slower and incapable of the full game pressure you get at the top level.

I'm sure there's 16 year olds who are ready for the top level but there are 20 year olds who need more time.

He cant run out a game, where do we play him?

The club has got every one of these calls right so far so I'll leave it to the experts.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #77
I would have though 83 kilos when drafted.

His draft profile says 83kg and there's no way he has put on 10kg in 6 months.  He looks closer to 73kg, wringing wet!

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #78
With the young fellas (KPs), its probably a little more complicated than doing what you have suggested in the 2's. Its a massive step up to AFL level for them from a physicality point of view. Jack is listed as 191kg and 93kg, I found the weight a little surprising. I saw him fairly close up at the Hall of Fame thingy and again at Etihad a few weeks ago, he didnt look 93kg to me. In any case, if they think he is ready physically, fine. I'd be surprised though.

93kg? Really? Certainly looks bigger than when we drafted him but 93 surprises me.

Anyway, he's as ok as anyone to have a crack in the seniors.

Reply #79
His draft profile says 83kg and there's no way he has put on 10kg in 6 months.  He looks closer to 73kg, wringing wet!
Dont shoot the messenger kiddies

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/player-profile/jack-silvagni
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #80
Dont shoot the messenger kiddies

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/player-profile/jack-silvagni

Perhaps the bloke who weighed Jack is the same bloke who measured Marc Murphy's height as 1.80m  ;)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #81
I swear I saw both Jack and Crippa standing together and were same height. So that makes him minimum 193 as I had him taller. Or it was an optical illusion

Reply #82
I swear I saw both Jack and Crippa standing together and were same height. So that makes him minimum 193 as I had him taller. Or it was an optical illusion
Mate Crippa is every bit of 195cm. Cam Mooney interviewed him on the ground after the game on Sat and they are the same height. My mate actually commented that he thought Mooney was looking up slightly.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #83
[img[http://i.imgur.com/4fZiAz2.png[/img]
Interesting reading.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #84
This is an even weaker argument for selecting him in the firsts.

Big, usually slower and incapable of the full game pressure you get at the top level.

I'm sure there's 16 year olds who are ready for the top level but there are 20 year olds who need more time.

He cant run out a game, where do we play him?

The club has got every one of these calls right so far so I'll leave it to the experts.

X2 

There is NO HURRY, folks!  Not sure if some of these people pushing for him have actually seen him in action. If not, do yourself a favour and have a look. He is developing very nicely and will be great for us.  The kid will have more pressure than most when he takes the field, I'll leave it to those who have made all the right decisions so far this year.  They are more informed than any of us!

Reply #85
I don't think we will play him yet and I am okay with him going for 40-50 goals as a target in the VFL to be honest, however he would not be the first 18 year old to have a crack with both Darcy Moore and Joe Daniher having their first senior game halfway through their first year at the club.... However... Jack is 11 months younger than Moore was when recruited and 9 months younger than Joe.

I think if he plays, great we get to see him trot out for his first game, but the club won't care about that as much, they will play him when they feel he is ready and not a moment before that.

As for supporters wanting to see him, of course they will, they have been waiting (not so patiently) since 1997 for him to play a game.  ;)

I admit my hopes for him are high, I stated last draft that I thought he would end up being in the top few from this draft and on the small amount of exposed form, I will stick with that.

I really have a feeling about Jack, I just think he will smash it. Might take him a couple of years to get on the park consistently and hopefully we have patience because he is very young in draft age terms, only making this years draft by 2 weeks.

I think we can expect at least 2-3 years of development for Jack as he builds out his body to play more key position style football.

I cannot help but think he could end up being in the top 3-4 players of this draft when we look back in 5-10 years.

Welcome Jack, we've been expecting you...
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #87
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/carlton/jack-silvagni-excites-carlton-fans-with-bestonground-performance-in-vfl/news-story/a1d2fa28542f457702aaf38b1defa6b5

To me, like any other player, if he's killing it with the NBs he ready to be promoted.

I'm looking forward to watching him at Box Hill on Saturday.  I'll be interested to see if he can run out the game.

Reply #88
I came in thinking Jack was a nice to have. Free hit, bring hope to fans, maybe never play.

He has played well Consistently every week at VFL level as basically a colts/under 18 player.

I want to see him kick 6-7 one week, and have no problem him not playing this year.

But he has already proved me wrong...
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #89
Any one at the game? Has is SOSOS shaping up physically? Hoping he might get a game end of the year?

I got along for a look and IMO Silvagni shone like a beacon compared to every other participant.

Runs better than his dad and grandad - low bars to be sure but he does move well. Most impressive features were his clean ball handling and his ability to adjust to the ball in flight in marking contests. The only player who deserves to be promoted on the basis of what I saw on Sunday.

Jones and Jaksch showed their usual limitations with Liam unable to hold a mark but being very hard at it when the ball hits the ground and KJ being limited to straight line running with an inability to do much by way of second efforts. Of these two, KJ might have cleaner hands but is heavily reliant on the ball being kicked to his advantage on the lead whereas Jones is more suited to hitting the pack (in marking contests or on the ground) so Jones is probably better suited to the long bomb forward.

Of the others, nobody pushing for promotion although Tutt seems to do enough to keep his name on the fringes.

Whiley and Dick are useful VFL footballers but too slow for the AFL.

McCasker and Gowers show lots of dash and might be options in the future.

Sheehan looks like he hasn't played for a couple of years; Cam Wood seems to be a shadow of what he offered last year; Phillips was pushed around by the opposing ruckmen but might be more competitive at centre bounces.

Foster, DVR and Smith all appear to have some talent but need to do much much more.