Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion AFL Rd 10: Carlton vs St Kilda (Read 29965 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion AFL Rd 10: Carlton vs St Kilda

Reply #150
Everyone is smart in retrospect. We had eleven players who came out of the past four drafts in the team yesterday. This coming off four drafts where we have turned over a third to a quarter of our list. There is a lack of continuity in the team which has to be expected and is on display most weeks. This is the plan the Club laid out and is sticking to. I think they are twelve months behind where they wanted to be and I think they have the ingredients of a very good team but they need time to become a team. I like BB press conferences, I am not sure what people want him to say.  They have a plan. I dont see or hear what the alternative is.
I think we need some hungry half forwards, Pickett is a big loss, and we need pace out of the backline, which explains Garlett being developed for down back, we also need another young ruckman to develop.
It is a five-year plan and people need to do more than say everything is rubbish,  they need to articulate what they think needs to be done, how it would be implemented and how it is a better process than what is happening now.

Reply #151
I thought Cuningham after a break, shower that with some continuity of game time, he’s the real deal and for all the criticism of Dow, there are 8-10 passages of play where he showed some real class. Tackling (lack of physical strength) is poor but will come in time and shots at goal are ‘Casboult like’ but he’s young enough, with the right education, to fix that up. He just needs time and he will come good. How long did a skinny Cotchin take?? 

Reply #152
Rumour has it that the Adelaide Football Club is about to strike a Memorial Plaque in honour of the significant gift they're soon to receive from the Carlton Football Club - the number 1 draft pick in the 2019 draft.

As if giving them Eddie wasn't enough. Does our generosity know no bounds?

;) >:D
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #153
Yes, I have been rock solid, and also boring and repetitious :
- conduct a full audit /review just like the Pies and Tigers
- understand the process in a holistic and contextual manner
- don't repeat the mistakes of the past

My guess is that such an audit review will make similar recommendations to the other clubs. Change up the Assistant coaches, maybe also Bolton needs to fine tune some of his methods, and stick with the plan.

Those of you who are interested, do a google search for "Hardwick sacked" and do another search for "Buckley sacked". Fun times.

And just a little teaser for you :

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/premiership-coach-mark-thompson-offers-advice-to-nathan-buckley-reflects-on-his-own-hardships/news-story/411cc222d266db3ca1350d73d0a02d5f

Fair enough
That's action...will it happen?

Reply #154
Everyone is smart in retrospect. We had eleven players who came out of the past four drafts in the team yesterday. This coming off four drafts where we have turned over a third to a quarter of our list. There is a lack of continuity in the team which has to be expected and is on display most weeks. This is the plan the Club laid out and is sticking to. I think they are twelve months behind where they wanted to be and I think they have the ingredients of a very good team but they need time to become a team. I like BB press conferences, I am not sure what people want him to say. They have a plan. I dont see or hear what the alternative is.
I think we need some hungry half forwards, Pickett is a big loss, and we need pace out of the backline, which explains Garlett being developed for down back, we also need another young ruckman to develop.
It is a five-year plan and people need to do more than say everything is rubbish,  they need to articulate what they think needs to be done, how it would be implemented and how it is a better process than what is happening now.

BB is a good salesman.

Strategic plans are meant to demonstrate progress. The club has stated, clearly, that there was an expectation to be winning games this year. We're not winning games... strategic plan broken. But it can be fixed.

Reply #155
'Strategic Plan,' it sounds so strong, so authoritative, so in control and all-knowing... you kind of want to fall to your knees and worship the very sound of those two words together. Well, truth is, in reality, many, many, many well thought out 'Strategic Plans' fail, some badly. Smart folks, in a rapidly changing world, adapt, alter and change (oh no, the word 'change'... to be feared and loathed by the fearful) their strategic plan to accommodate the changing landscape. But when there is arrogance and stubbornness you won't find change.

Labor had a strategic plan.
Didn’t listen, didn’t change, didn’t win

Reply #156
Rumour has it that the Adelaide Football Club is about to strike a Memorial Plaque in honour of the significant gift they're soon to receive from the Carlton Football Club - the number 1 draft pick in the 2019 draft.

We're the gift that keeps giving.
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #157

Yeah, really couldn't give a jatz about what we've given them. good luck to them. Personally, not sure what's going on at that club but I think they've got some problems there so a no.1 won't help. Happy with Stocker's output to date and let's face it baring Walsh our no.1 picks of years gone by haven't really been super successful for one reason or another. We still get a 1st rounder maybe we score another Charlie or Harry?

Reply #158
Yeah, really couldn't give a jatz about what we've given them. good luck to them. Personally, not sure what's going on at that club but I think they've got some problems there so a no.1 won't help. Happy with Stocker's output to date and let's face it baring Walsh our no.1 picks of years gone by haven't really been super successful for one reason or another. We still get a 1st rounder maybe we score another Charlie or Harry?

Agreed, more high draft picks aren't going to fix us....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #159
I’ve been saying it for two years. The head coach doesn’t have a clue.
Can anyone let alone Bolton explain the game plan?

Whomever the skills coach is or coaches are, they should be sacked today.
Our players lack basic skills, and cannot hit targets.
MacKay studiously avoids kicking with his right foot. Why doesn’t he spend an hour every training session doing nothing other than practice kicking with his right foot. Simmo kearnt how to do it, Cripps can kick with his left. This is a real weakness in Mackays game and has not been addressed in 4 years.

His first shot set for goal said it all to me about the total lack of coaching and teaching at the club. Like Buddy, MacKay tends to run out in an arc as he shoots for goal. He was on a slight angle to the right of the right goal post. Had he been coached and taught well, he would have aimed for somewhere between the centre of the goals and left goal post which would then have allowed for the ball angling across towards the right. He kicks the goal if he does that. Instead he ran out in an arc to his left as he does, and kicked towards the right hand goal post and the ball angled right and he missed.

Is anyone spending time with paddy Dow on his kicking and lack of tackling ability.

The list goes on and on.

The players supposedly had this private
 Soul searching meeting. Said
E from Cripps, Simmons and Ed Curnow, the rest are at this point in time a bunch of skill-less hacks, who can’t hit a target, can’t tackle, and among other things, can’t make a decision on the field that puts us at an advantage against our opponents.

So, what should happen?
The coach should immediately be replaced and if it wasn’t going to cause massive disruption, every other coach should go with him. But it would do you can’t sack them all now.

The president and those on the board who hired Bolton should immediately resign, especially Judd.
He’s the so called Director of football. What the hell does he do
there!!

Bolton says they are all on the same page, they know where they are going they are all together in this bla bla bla.

I know where they are going.
They are going to the wooden spoon, and a probable loss of 20,000 members who won’t sign up to another year in 2020 of this rubbish.

At the very least, sack Bolton this week, appoint Scott who has at least played the game at the highest level and knows what it takes to win a flag and will have some sort of a game plan that the players will understand and can follow.

If we keep going like this till the bye round, we are headed for oblivion and another 5 years at the bottom.

Reply #160
We need to run that poll again.

Reply #161
It's interesting, fans wanted Simmo back like he was a miracle cure, yesterday he was obviously the disease!

Agree.

Same applies for 3/4s of our list, when blokes are injured we use them as an excuse, when they are back in and don't perform as the savior we though they were, we demand they are dropped for the bloke in the 2s who all of sudden looks amazing and is unfairly not getting a game. ::)

ITs ground hog day.

Our list build is out of balance way too many kids and a gapping hole of senior reliable players in the 70-120 game category. SOS is the man that should be in the gun more then anyone IMO.

Don't care of the excuses why he couldn't attract these sorts...the fact is he couldn't get them in the door and we are suffering bigtime as a result. That is the very reason Brisbane's rebuild is so far ahead of ours.

It was his job and he failed badly.

Reply #162

::) We need to stop focusing on this as its not that much of an issue in the scheme of things.
Betts wanted to leave for Adelaide - we didn't give him away. 
Yes losing Pick 1 next year hurts a little bit but Stocker will be very good, is already in the system and we still get their first rounder. 
And surely we have won out in both the Menzel and Gibbs trades?

I'd be more concerned about our McGovern trade. Could be a while before he starts to show enough to justify what we paid for him and by then he will be headed West. 

As for yesterday, as many have said we looked lost and clueless. Either the game plan is downright awful or it is too complicated for the players to grasp.  And there never seems to be any Plan B when the opposition works us out or shuts us down.  All comes down to coaching which is why something needs to be done ASAP.   Certainly doesn't help when players miss easy targets but correct structure can help with that too.
Reality is an illusion, caused by a lack of alcohol...

Reply #163
I remain astonished that BB can claim 'unified'... you only need look at the players to see there aint no unity or understanding. BB is trying to sell us that you can pick up a turd by the clean end!