Skip to main content
Topic: NAB Challenge- Round 1 Carlton v WCE (Read 58105 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Tonight

Reply #105
We were missing 10 or so of our top players. They had a lot of their top blokes playing.

We lost by 5 goals.

Hardly suicide stuff surely.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #106
We were missing 10 or so of our top players. They had a lot of their top blokes playing.

We lost by 5 goals.

Hardly suicide stuff surely.

No excuses needed IMO. Win by 5 goals and we shouldn't read too much into it, same applies for a loss. The guys are just brushing away cobwebs ATM.

Reply #107
If the aim is to add depth to the list then we must play the young guys against seasoned opponents as much as possible. A win or loss is of no consequence so why not stack the team with newbies?

Reply #108
If the aim is to add depth to the list then we must play the young guys against seasoned opponents as much as possible. A win or loss is of no consequence so why not stack the team with newbies?

I agree. I have a feeling they were thrown in the deep end on purpose.

Reply #109
I see Mackenzie has done his ACL. Puts a bit of perspective on what you want to get out of a practice match.

Reply #110

I agree. I have a feeling they were thrown in the deep end on purpose.

There's no doubt in my mind about that. The message being that each player has to shape up asap if they want a regular game and stay on the list.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #111
I see Mackenzie has done his ACL. Puts a bit of perspective on what you want to get out of a practice match.

Yes, and it looks like Libba Jr has done his now

thats three knees before round 1.....

Reply #112
Well at least our kids can see the step up in class and effort required... and why they have to complete every session at 100% etc.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #113
Cripps amd Jaksch should be playing rnd 1 based on last nights game.....the former is the big bodied mid we need and I was impressed how he won the footy and fed the
ball out in the first half...he really is our best young player in the making and can be a A grade player and destined for a good career.

Jaksch gives us some reliablity down back and is already a decent player in the making who just needs game time vs the best KP players to hone his skills...yes he will have his days when some KP forwards make a meal out of him but in three years time will be one of the best KP backs in the comp IMO...

Boekhorst probably didnt do enough to demand a round 1 game but he still has another couple of games to impress and I think he has a future
but needs the likes of Murphy, Gibbs, Judd playing well  for him to be more effective on the outside providing run and carry as he wont win the footy with his light frame vs the
bigger mids in strong contests..

Reply #114
But as least Boeky has some outside "hurt factor" and is a bit Camporeale-like.  We badly need his pace.  If he can emulate Isaac Smith we're on a winner.

Cripps also looks a player but he still needs to develop an AFL tank and the ability to spread.  I can remember Ratten saying (when he played that role) that it was his job to get to contests, and the more he got to, the more he influenced the outcome.  That is Cripps' future in a nutshell.

KJ looks a good long term player and a smart list management decision at this point in time.  KP defenders don't grow on trees.

Bell is a real worry.  So much good work undone with poor decision making but we so need a player of his ilk in that role against the bigger midfielders.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #115
Bell is a real worry.  So much good work undone with poor decision making but we so need a player of his ilk in that role against the bigger midfielders.

Not sure he can improve this aspect.
He'd be a super player if he could.
Just takes too much time and is often then under pressure when he eventually does dispose of it...either gets caught or turns it over.

Reply #116
Bell is still getting stronger. He'll never be Darren Jarman but with age will come better application - especially if someone can continue to work with him.

Reply #117
I'm not sure that you can blame Bell for turnovers.  I reckon we lack the structures to ensure that we get the best value from possessions, and particularly contested possessions.

Other clubs are able to minimise turnovers and/or neutralise the damage when they do occur.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #118
Gee I would love to be proved wrong, but I think Bell lacks the necessary skill. Great strong guy, goes at it 100%, but class comes from possession of skill.
As for Watson, once again I would love to be proved wrong....

Reply #119

Not sure he can improve this aspect.
He'd be a super player if he could.
Just takes too much time and is often then under pressure when he eventually does dispose of it...either gets caught or turns it over.

Zero awareness. Takes on tackles he should never take on. It's a pity because he's a big body that can find the pill. Sometimes with players like this it all just clicks one day. We can only pray.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!