Skip to main content
Topic: NAB Challenge- Round 1 Carlton v WCE (Read 58115 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Tonight

Reply #120
Bell is a real worry.  So much good work undone with poor decision making but we so need a player of his ilk in that role against the bigger midfielders.

Not sure he can improve this aspect.
He'd be a super player if he could.
Just takes too much time and is often then under pressure when he eventually does dispose of it...either gets caught or turns it over.

Zero awareness. Takes on tackles he should never take on. It's a pity because he's a big body that can find the pill. Sometimes with players like this it all just clicks one day. We can only pray.

Bell has so much Kouta about him it is uncanny.
Kouta wasn't the best player in his early days and I feel Bell is the same.
I'd rather someone getting the ball as regularly as Bell does and getting to the contest. He was everywhere during the West Coast game.
I seem to remember Carazzo also being our turnover king there for awhile then he came good.
He just needs to 'accidentally' run through someone to make people fear his footsteps. ;)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #121
Other than having a nut sack, he is nothing like Kouta.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #122

Agree.

Bell might have game sense of a young kouta (ie not much) but athletically, besides the broad shoulders and a similar head, there is little in common between the 2.

If we are a serious side this year, either Bell needs to improve more this year than he has in his complete time in the system, or he needs to be overtaken in our best 22.

Reply #123
One of the really unfortunate side effects of Dinger's errors is what it does to the confidence of his team mates. Mistakes are a drain on confidence, and cause frustration which also drains energy.

Great execution lifts confidence and expectation.

I bet this is also frustrating the coaches. His team mates are going to have to be more vocal on the field, giving him clear instructions on what to do... perhaps in the short term, because he wins the aggott so well he should just focus on 'get and give' and only go for runs when team mates tell him to. Those early mistakes of his again the Eagles were very costly.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #124

Agree.

Bell might have game sense of a young kouta (ie not much) but athletically, besides the broad shoulders and a similar head, there is little in common between the 2.

If we are a serious side this year, either Bell needs to improve more this year than he has in his complete time in the system, or he needs to be overtaken in our best 22.

Or we use structures that complement Bell's strengths and cover his weaknesses.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #125

Agree.

His strengths are his size, and ability to get tackled with the ball. Now sure what structures allow him to prosper.

His kicking is average. He awareness is about as bad as it gets in the AFL and he doesn't do enough without the ball to justify this.

The only way we can take advantage of this is to handball it directly to his opponent so that he can then run through that opponent. With a bit of luck, his opponent gets injured/taken off.

Not very practical.

Reply #126
Unfortunately Bell will only ever be an average support act IMO. He's one we must be looking to replace with someone much better if we are to be ultimately successful.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #127

Agree.

His strengths are his size, and ability to get tackled with the ball. Now sure what structures allow him to prosper.

His kicking is average. He awareness is about as bad as it gets in the AFL and he doesn't do enough without the ball to justify this.

The only way we can take advantage of this is to handball it directly to his opponent so that he can then run through that opponent. With a bit of luck, his opponent gets injured/taken off.

Not very practical.

Getting there. If he attempts that he'll miss his opponent every time and give his team mates a better than even chance to clean up

Reply #128
Sometimes the best way to assess your team's performance is to ask the supporters of the opposition. So I asked some friends back in Perth for their take on the NAB warm up, here's a summary of their replies:
1. That was a moral loss for the eagles. Should have won by more given the difference in midfield experience. Losing Mackenzie just destroyed their hopes of making the 8.
2. The carlton ruck work was a joke. If they can't take on Lycett and Sinclair they are going to get murdered by Mumford, Jacobs and Sandi in the regular season.
3. Carlton seemed to lack run and structure, they didn't support the ball carrier by breaking to space quickly enough and also allowed the eagles half backs and mids to peel off to easily. Also - why did carlton keep kicking long in hope into the breeze? Especially when they'd flooded back in defence?
4. Getting Jaksch was a good move, still needs to beef up a bit but showed plenty.
5. Clem Smith is going to be either a real hard nut or get cleaned up by someone like luke hodge who really shows him what being hard is all about.

None of them really had anything to say about Bell.

Reply #129
5. Clem Smith is going to be either a real hard nut or get cleaned up by someone like luke hodge who really shows him what being hard is all about.
Im forken sick of people bring up Luke Hodge or for that matter Jordan Lewis when conversation turns to being "hard" and "tough". Those two are just snipers who do there best work under the protection of the AFL. Fork them both, I hope one day Clem cleans up Hodge (fair and square) and ends his career.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #131
Im forken sick of people bring up Luke Hodge or for that matter Jordan Lewis when conversation turns to being "hard" and "tough". Those two are just snipers who do there best work under the protection of the AFL. Fork them both, I hope one day Clem cleans up Hodge (fair and square) and ends his career.

This!
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #132

Agreed, Hodge is a dog of a player who earned the bulk of his reputation by burying his knee in blokes who bravely backed into the pack!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #133

Agree.

Not very practical.

Do you ever listen to opposition players and coaches talk about how we play?

They usually express surprise that our game plan does not seek to minimise and/or neutralise turnovers.

Bell is one bloke who actually gets the footy and if the million dollar man can't take advantage of that, we need to replace the coach, not the player.

Get your head out of the sand and try to look at the big picture rather than writing off one bloke who is having a go.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #134
Whats happening tonight?