Skip to main content
Topic: Blues Vs Swans - post match expert analysis  (Read 42784 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Blues Vs Swans - post match expert analysis

Reply #120
Stop looking at the symptoms and let's get to the causes.

The list is crap because we have crap recruitment and development

Let Sticks Swan Hughes Rodgers McKay make the same decisions we will repeat history

It's obvious

Reply #121
McInnes... in the game against Richmond in round 20 I thought he was the only player in the first quarter to contribute anything, since then he has gone backwards and his first quarter turnover yesterday was an epic error.  Had a reputation as a junior for coolness under pressure, I don't know where that has gone.  Played better on taller rather than faster opponents as well.

Has already had a big shoulder and a big knee, so has lost opportunity to gain upper body strength and has probably lost pace... and being 190 cm is in-between size.  Is an honest footballer but at that size needs to play very cool and smart or he becomes a liability...  nevertheless, one of the few players on the list who can be relied upon to make serious efforts to work on his deficiencies.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #122
Just seen a tweet fro CFC saying that Jamo has been cleared of any serious injury and travelled home today with the rest of the boys. At least a bit of good news.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #123
Good news re Jammo, thanks Cookie.

Just on Jammo, he really didn't perform up to standards this year. 1 or 2 seasons ago he was approaching all Australian honours, I am sure he played a couple of good games this year, but he has been soundly beaten more often than not. I would love to know what is going on with him, and I am really hoping the great season he had was not a one off.

Reply #124
Pies and Tiges finished 8th and 7th so that makes all of the other Top 8 from 2013 will be played twice.

Playing Collingwood, Richmond and Essendon once next year. It will be very strange, let's hope Essendon isn't R3/R4.

Reply #125

Just on Jammo, he really didn't perform up to standards this year. 1 or 2 seasons ago he was approaching all Australian honours, I am sure he played a couple of good games this year, but he has been soundly beaten more often than not. I would love to know what is going on with him, and I am really hoping the great season he had was not a one off.

May have something to do with his shoulder popping out once a week!
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #126

I'd question this quote as I recall seeing a table of goals scored by opponent against him and he had a fairly clean record.  If I can find it I'll post it.  I also don't recall him getting a bag kicked on him every week, actually I don't recall any.  I reckon he's done ok this year, better than the last couple of years anyway, at least he's stayed on the park.
Excuses year 1, blame year 2, contract extention year 3........

Reply #127
Lets get delisting and trading.

Top 4 sides into prelim finals, 5-8 out within first two weeks of the finals.

No real suprise there, but as others have previously mentioned, the loss didn't hurt as much as our lack of effort for much of the game.

It certainly showed our team deficiencies for what they are.

Amongst some of the other shocker out there, did McLean do much? He appeared mighty quiet (struggled with finals pace after missing last week?).

Reply #128
Puss... or puke. Either describes our overall effort.  That said, if the ground wasn't a skating rink I think we could've used our pace to roll the fluffy ducks...  and then been massacred by the Dickers this week  ::)
Reality is an illusion, caused by a lack of alcohol...

Reply #129
McLean was good early in the game he was a worthy inclusion for mine.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #130
Amongst some of the other shocker out there, did McLean do much? He appeared mighty quiet (struggled with finals pace after missing last week?).

McLean did well, he worked his guts out to get into free space quite often but we did not use him.

I suspect it was because the players quickly lost confidence in their kicking due to the ground shifting under their feet. So they went the safe option quite often knowing if they didn't get the kick right McLean would get run down.

But I maintain we are horrendous with the ball in hand, I think we are the worst in the league by some margin. We get away with the poor disposal quite often because we a lot of guys who can cover ground quickly and cover poor kicks. Our pace hides a bigger problem.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #131
McLean tried but was like all the other mids - ineffective when he got it  and was unable to exert pressure around the contest on the Swans mids.  Spectated a bit and lacked his usual run... probably  was not 100% and should not have played.

A smart forward who can find space, draw the ball and tackle effectively would have been better value but that is selecting the side in hindsight.  Personnally I would have gone with Menzel as he brings something to different to the side as opposed to selecting another solid but not world-beating mid.

Reply #132
With Menzel having a history of knee issues and that surface we should never play him at that stadium.

He would not have made any difference to the result anyway given how soundly we were beaten.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #133
Pies and Tiges finished 8th and 7th so that makes all of the other Top 8 from 2013 will be played twice.

Playing Collingwood, Richmond and Essendon once next year. It will be very strange, let's hope Essendon isn't R3/R4.

I'd be surprised if this happens.  I know they have changed the format (to groups of 6s), but I'm pretty sure there are still "exceptions".  These exceptions will include ensuring their are always 2 blockbusters (Carl, Coll, Rich, Ess  and also the local Derbies in WA, SA, QLD, Syd).  No way the AFL doesnt have 2 Carl/Coll games next year.  

There has been a tweak to the fomula used, but I dont think it will have the effect that some media were spouting

Reply #134
The only material change is we play the Hawks twice next year.