Skip to main content
Topic: Northern Blues vs. Geelong at Preston on Sunday (Read 12655 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Northern Blues vs. Geelong at Preston on Sunday

Reply #15
If Waite passes a physical I reckon someone will take him.

We might not get much for him, but ya never know.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #16
Let Waite go as FA if he wants to play on and get a compo pick. We'd get more in compo than we'd get in a trade.

He's 31. He is not the future. He cannot be on our list next year. He is a horrible example if we are trying to rebuild.

FA? I didn't know he had suitors. GWS players absolutely, Gold Coast yep - Carlton ?????

The players clubs are interested in are the Yarran, Murphy, Gibbs, Walker types with perhaps a Casboult type but not for anything that would really benefit us.

Waite will either retire or play out his career at Carlton. A couple of years back (27 - 28 years age bracket) yes he had currency but I don't think he does now. Who would take him? Fremantle? Hawks? Can't see it happening nor the Power and the Swans definitely don't need him.

Podsiadly got picked up. So did Gumbleton. Even Chapman. Waite might be good in a team with a strong culture. Put him as a second or third tall and he might help a team win a flag.

Reply #17

Waite is a free agent so we won't be getting anything for him.  If we do get a compensation pick, it will probably be so late that it won't be worth using.

Hanging on to your veterans means cash is freed up.  I heard today that five veterans on a list would free up $1M to use on free agents or high profile players through trades.  Of course, that would take enlightened list management.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #18

Waite is a free agent so we won't be getting anything for him.  If we do get a compensation pick, it will probably be so late that it won't be worth using.

Hanging on to your veterans means cash is freed up.  I heard today that five veterans on a list would free up $1M to use on free agents or high profile players through trades.  Of course, that would take enlightened list management.

The veteran rule is 100k is out of cap. So 5 veterans = 500k extra.

But that rule has been stopped from next year onwards and compensated by increasing the cap.

Waite could get us a third rounder. Langdon was a third rounder..........or even later (pick 65).

Reply #19

But that rule has been stopped from next year onwards and compensated by increasing the cap.

Waite could get us a third rounder. Langdon was a third rounder..........or even later (pick 65).

Have you got a link to the new salary cap changes em? I'm constantly trying to track down info on that, and specifically the CBA. No luck with the latest CBA.

Reply #20
If you finish low enough you essentially get 2 picks in the top 20.  Suddenly your mid range picks look decent to clubs looking to improve their position. Face it, outside the top 10 we can't pick our nose...
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #21
I hope Waite stays (or retires). More often than not he plays as our number 1 forward and is often double teamed. I can't believe we have dropped him as Hendo hasn't been effective this season and Levi plays 1 good game in every 10 (other teams know this).

Furthermore, Waite may be undisciplined and injury prone but at least he bleeds blue. He is a father son and is obviously passionate about Carlton. Other than Hendo (who has mainly played down back) we haven't really had any tall of quality to help Waite since the Fev days. I actually wonder how good Waite would be if we had a functioning tall forward line. In any case, I hope MM sees the light and decides that Waite is worth persisting with until we bring some quality tall forwards into Carlton (at which time, he will probably have to retire anyway).

On a related note, I hate how our supporters are now so keen to trade loyal players. I also hate the fact we have a worst on ground thread. It may be worth changing the name of this forum to Carlton Supporters Club (when we win).  :(

Reply #22

There would be several clubs interested in my opinion, Fremantle being the most obvious but Port would also find a spot for him, he'd walk into Footscray's side but they probably wouldn't want someone of his age given their stage of development.
He's a very talented player, easily our best tall forward, I hope he plays out his career at Carlton.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #23
Let Waite go as FA if he wants to play on and get a compo pick. We'd get more in compo than we'd get in a trade.

He's 31. He is not the future. He cannot be on our list next year. He is a horrible example if we are trying to rebuild.

FA? I didn't know he had suitors. GWS players absolutely, Gold Coast yep - Carlton ?????

The players clubs are interested in are the Yarran, Murphy, Gibbs, Walker types with perhaps a Casboult type but not for anything that would really benefit us.

Waite will either retire or play out his career at Carlton. A couple of years back (27 - 28 years age bracket) yes he had currency but I don't think he does now. Who would take him? Fremantle? Hawks? Can't see it happening nor the Power and the Swans definitely don't need him.

Waite has currency at a club with strong leadership.
The Hawks and Geelong would benefit from his services, it's lower clubs that won't because he is undisciplined on the ground.

Reply #24

I would have thought that Craig Cameron would know the veteran rule and he was adamant that five veterans = $1M.  ???
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #25
I am scratching my head a bit here. Granted that Waite has had a poor year - he was another one who didn't have much of a preseason - but he has been our premier forward since we released Fev. That doesn't mean that key forward is his best position, just that we needed him there.
I would be playing him at CHB to get some form and confidence up. He played his most consistent football there, because he HAD to concentrate on his man.

Hendo is probably our best forward option, but he is so far out of form that he really should be in the VFL as well. However, tall forwards are at short supply on our list at present.

I think Waite will be a one club player. He will probably play next year, but hopefully NOT as our only key forward.

I am more interested in how Ciaran Byrne is going. He actually looks like a forward, especially when guys kick it to him so he actually has a chance of getting it. I was worried he would miss the rest of the season with serious knee injury, but that not now appear to be the case. He is named today.
Mind you, Preston in the wet and wind is not usually a good place for key forwards.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #26

I would have thought that Craig Cameron would know the veteran rule and he was adamant that five veterans = $1M.  ???

Last i heard each veteran had about 128k outside the cap. That is an increase from 114k the year before, and 100k the year before that. Before that, there was the '50% rule' for veterans when you had 1 or 2 of them on your list. That is, 50% of your wage was paid outside the cap. If you had 3, it was 33%, 4 = 25%, 5 = 20% etc (1/number of veterans %).

As for what they are doing next year, i'm not sure. I can guarantee that this year 5 veterans would be no more than about 650k outside the cap. If he got 1mil, then some investigating of the cap is required!

Reply #27
Any reports?

Just wondering if Waite played. Can't see how white will get up meaning has to be one change

Reply #28
Northern Blues   1.4  1.5  2.6  3.7 (25)
Geelong Cats   6.4  10.8  12.9  14.12 (96)

GOALS:
Northern Blues: Wilson 2 Graham
Geelong Cats: Gibbs 3 McCarthy 2 Toohey 2 Bourke 2 Hollmer 2 Paliouras  Herbison  Walker

BEST:
Northern Blues: Holman Bell McInnes Graham Sheehan Byrne
Geelong Cats: Hartman Brown Stringer Smedts Thurlow Gleeson

Pretty dismal result  :(

McInnes played obviously but Waite didn't make any impression if he did.

Reply #29
Like to see Holman get a game next week...we need to change the old guard for the new and he has been good in the last couple of weeks.
Ditto for Graham who needs a consistent run in the seniors....