Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 1 Post Game Party: Carlton vs Richmond (Read 39123 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 1 Post Game Party: Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #15
Broken tackles killed us
forced turnovers also
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #16
I gather Weitering had a complete shocker?

Needs to find form in the 2s?

Looked like a lost soul to me, not quite sure of his role and tentative at times. Does not look like a happy camper so feck knows what's going on with him? Hopefully he'll get this bad one out of his mind and settle down. I don't think I would be in a hurry to drop him after one bad effort though.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #17
I gather Weitering had a complete shocker?

Needs to find form in the 2s?

He seems to be very one dimensional for a number one draft pick, and he's sure not quick.
He's got nice neat skills though.
He was no worse than Casboult, whether he's ready or not McKay should be playing ahead of him. 
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #18

Byrne, headless chook running, he'll have some of the highest metres for the game, yet hardly touched it.

SoJ had no form, shouldn't hold his spot.

The Bad
Byrne was putrid. Zero awareness, gets caught too often and made stupid mistakes, not AFL std I’m afraid. I’d almost say he should never play 1s again.
SOS should plays twos, a witches hat tonight.
Weiters - still a kid but I’m starting to worry a little.

The Good
Charlie-Wow!
Crippa-Ditto
Simmo-Like a Penfolds Grange
Wright’s-Mr Reliable

2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #19
We're evidently the first side to score > 87 (or maybe it's 89) against the tiges in the past year. One straight kick short of the elusive 100. Crippa career high CP. Charlie breakout game and bag of 5. Matty Wright a bag of 5. Some slick ball use ending in goals.
There's so much to like from tonight.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #20
Everyone is going to bang on about how well we done against last years permiers etc etc.
Well I call bullcrap. We were outscored by 9 goals after the first 10 minutes of the game and if not for our accuracy and Richmond's profligacy we would  in fact lost by over 10 goals.
Weitering is useless, how does a number 1 draft pick defender not know how to actually defend. Kudos to Jones and Marchbank, because they got NO help from Weiters.
In the middle, it looked like Cripps dominated, but getting the ball and quick handballs along the ground that just result in pressure and turnovers.. he is better off just halving the first contest. It reminds me of when we had Carrots getting 40 touches a week. Seriously if Kennedy wasn't injured I would consider not playing him.
We have Charlie and Matty Wright doing the stuff up front, but Jack needs to realise he is not his father's bootlace and he needs to be dropped as well.
Bolton gets points for idiot of the week for putting Kreuzer back on as a statue in a game were we were already worried about their pace and spread at times and he looked horrible in that last quarter, if Bolton cannot get that and get him straight off the ground, then what exactly is he being paid for? To come to the press conference and smile a big grin and tell us how excited he is by the efforts of  Charlie or Marchy.. Yeah we all are Bolts, but how about stop being a cheerleader and start actually fixing the crap on game day that isn't working. Honestly the guy is still absolutely unproven other than he doesn't know how to win games that we have a chance in.
I am a fan of Murphy he has been a stalwart, but his immpact on such a huge game was negligible, if you are on the ground and the game is there to be won Murphy, maybe you need to start looking at how other captains play in these situations. Bystander.
Last of all to our newest 'gun' Paddy WOW...
I think Paddy will be pretty good to be fair, but I am in no mood for finding the positive right now, so I will point out the obvious. He plays like a 17 year old kid. He doesn't get the pace of the game yet, isn't clean enough yet and doesn't have any physicality at all.

Others can be as happy as they want with honourable losses, but screw that. We had less than 50 tackles, less than 50 inside 50s and were flattered on the scoreboard and carried by Charlie, Wright, Simmo. Marchy and a couple of others.

It makes me want to throw up and crap myself at the thought that we should be "happy" with that performance
L

Reply #21
Couple of things didn't work tonight.

Lamb, Mullett, Ed.Curnow, Wright, Thomas, Cripps, Silvagni, Plowman. Too many without a lot of pace to spare. It made us look very bad on the turnover, the defenders were always out numbered.

Ignoring Charlie, who played OK but perhaps not as good as the goal tally suggests, we had no apparent forward structure again. It's OK to do the fast break crap, but you have to have somebody inside the F50 to kick it to, and you have to kick it to their advantage. And it's no good doing the fast break if it's the Nthmond players streaming past the ball carrier into our F50(See Above).

Finally Cripps is a beast, but he'll have a very short career playing like that all the time. He has to find ways to be useful on the outside or pushing forward.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #22
Good effort by the lads, especially considering Kennedy injury early and Kreuzer out for a bit. Many very good and good players but i think our bottom few cost us.
Jack Silvagni i was hoping he would add a string to his bow but he might just be a tryer and that's probably not enough. Not quick enough and can't seem to find space to get clean possessions.
Jacob Weitering played a stinker. He's better than that but not playing instinctively enough and is a touch slow. May well be 1 too many talls down back against some opposition as discussed heatedly on other threads.
Paddy Dow in just his first game can't be criticised too hard coz he should be a player in time. If we have another player who's gonna help us win games should we play him instead? Or are we still focusing on development?

If we ar focused more on winning than development I'd be inclined to replace those 3 with the likes of Cunningham, Kerridge, Lang or Williamson if fit. A little more speed and ball winning ability would help balance us out.

What this game ahowed me is that we're almost there  in terms of the list build but not quite. We do have some very good young players and we'll beat a few good teams this year. Go blues.

Reply #23
Lang for Thomas/Lamb one obvious change....

Willo for Byrne/Mullett/Weitering...

But overall, losing Kennedy early was a huge blow and one not easy to cover....

Big H should have played and we missed Pickett.

How did Garlett fare?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #24
Oh I forgot to add... Levi Casboult.
Yeap you played a good game in a who gives a crap preseason hitout, but tonight you reminded us we are at the only football club stupid enough to give you a game every week. Are we running and AFL version of a soup kitchen where instead of food we hand out games of football to the bloody poor, useless and needy? If we want to actually win games instead of just being happy to not be thrashed then why is he playing?
L

Reply #25
“I think Paddy will be pretty good to be fair, but I am in no mood for finding the positive right now, so I will point out the obvious. He plays like a 17 year old kid. He doesn't get the pace of the game yet, isn't clean enough yet and doesn't have any physicality at all.”

Welcome Captain Obvious!!! ‘He doesn’t get the pace of the game.’ It was his first $&@?ing game!! ‘Isn’t clean enough’ They are the best pressure side in the business!! ‘Doesn’t have any physicality at all.’ Check Points 1 and 2 above!! By the way he was 2nd highest tackler behind Cripps.

What he did do tonight was show that when he does get the pace and he does get more time (that 10-12 other teams will give him), he’ll be very, very good.

Reply #26
Lang for Thomas/Lamb one obvious change....

Willo for Byrne/Mullett/Weitering...

But overall, losing Kennedy early was a huge blow and one not easy to cover....

Big H should have played and we missed Pickett.

How did Garlett fare?

Garlett was OK, not a great game, but good for a first game.

Hard to imagine McKay comes in given he had no presence in the VFL practice match.

Rowe is listed as back next week, but would you bring him in cold for a game on Lynch?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #27
"It makes me want to throw up and crap myself at the thought that we should be "happy" with that performance"

Go right ahead  ???
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #28
SpecialK hobbling off had a real effect on our playing group, the change in body language was palpable.

We must find ways to get around this, too much depends on too few.
The Force Awakens!