Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2021 Rd 2: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 8447 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL 2021 Rd 2: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #120
The AFL app, yeah.

Have you tried it with Kayo though?

Personally I haven't owned an apple product in my life and don't intend too.

You can cast Kayo from an Ipad to a tv via an AppleTv. Not sure if the Kayo app is available directly  on the new AppleTv which would be better.  My AppleTv is an old model and Kayo is not available. I normally use Windows/Android devices but I inherited a couple of Apple ones which I use sometimes.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #121
You can cast Kayo from an Ipad to a tv via an AppleTv. Not sure if the Kayo app is available directly  on the new AppleTv which would be better.  My AppleTv is an old model and Kayo is not available. I normally use Windows/Android devices but I inherited a couple of Apple ones which I use sometimes.
Kayo is an App on the newer HD and 4K AppleTVs.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #123
I have always owned iPhones, easy to use. I have both a MacBook Pro and Windows based machine, IMO the Mac eats the windows machines for breakfast. My BIL the tight ass bought my MIL and android version of the iPad, its a dead set piece of junk.

If mac is your thing get an Apple TV.

I like that macs synch all your stuff automatically but hate that the control is not there for the individual because it keeps restoring stuff i dont want or need.

I like the ability to change up android in ways Mac won't let you.  I switched to android and won't have another apple but im an IT person and like to be able to fix my own problems.

Both platforms have their pros and cons.  The operating systems differ but fundamentally they are the same product with different skins.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #124
If mac is your thing get an Apple TV.

I like that macs synch all your stuff automatically but hate that the control is not there for the individual because it keeps restoring stuff i dont want or need.

I like the ability to change up android in ways Mac won't let you.  I switched to android and won't have another apple but im an IT person and like to be able to fix my own problems.

Both platforms have their pros and cons.  The operating systems differ but fundamentally they are the same product with different skins.
Yep I agree, for Joe Average the AppleTV is a dead set easiest solution, even if you do not have an iPhone or iPad.

So when buying any TV I'd suggest budgeting for an associated AppleTV as your go to media platform, it just works.

Other than that I concur with @Thryleon‍ and @ElwoodBlues1‍ , Apple stuff is for you if you are a call the guy type person. While Windows, Android or Linux are for the tinkerers who create their own solutions and fix their own problems. I've had to use all at various times, but often I get forced towards one or the other due to a specific requirement, for example right now I run Windows and Linux PCs but have Apple iPhone because I need a couple of Business Apps that are only available on iPhone.

As an aside, in my experience most streaming problems are more likely to be related to their router / WiFi router. Home networking hardware, the low end type stuff often supplied by an ISP is commonly the weakest link. OK if you just have few connections to service, but as soon as you get more than 3 or 4 simultaneous streams these systems fall over, they can't deliver the bandwidth even though they connect at high speed.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #125
My Apple TV box is 18 months old, but it’s the basic version because I didn’t get a lot of mbs @ the time (though it’s slightly better now) I was able to download the Kayo app to the Apple TV, and it works fine.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #126
My Apple TV box is 18 months old, but it’s the basic version because I didn’t get a lot of mbs @ the time (though it’s slightly better now) I was able to download the Kayo app to the Apple TV, and it works fine.

Mine is quite a bit older than that NB, but I'll check again to see if Kayo is available now. I understood that a line was ruled under my model and no further new apps were to be made available.

Reply #127
Mine is quite a bit older than that NB, but I'll check again to see if Kayo is available now. I understood that a line was ruled under my model and no further new apps were to be made available.
Yes, you need AppleTV 4th Gen or newer, I think the AppleTV HD from 2015 is 4th Gen and can still get iOS updates.

3rd Gen (2012) cannot be updated to the required iOS version for the Kayo App.

FWIW, we have one of each, 3rd Gen, HD and 4K, having updated TVs a few times over the last decade or so. Our AppleTV 3rd Gen is relegated to serving in-house stuff on the spare TV as we cannot get Kayo or Amazon Prime Apps for it. I can't see that much difference between the HD and 4K versions on a 65" TV, and there isn't all that much 4k content anyway, but the 4K version is a bit more responsive. Netflix, Stan and Disney+ work on all of them, the HD and 4K have the new Apple+ App which aggregates the feeds so you can effectively browse / search all the content through the one App. The HD and 4K sync up using an Apple/iTunes account, so once you've setup one with a new App or service the other automatically updates.

The AppleTV interface and Apple Remote are much easier to navigate and use than most AndroidTV type menu systems, the TVs can be pretty clunky.

The Kayo App itself seems a bit clunky, when you exit and return it can sometimes be slow to refresh / update the content menus which is annoying.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #128
I used a laptop as previously stated. Did have some issue, just before half time where the stream went into slow mo, was actually quite interesting as it really highlighted the action and I was still able to understand the audio. I had to reboot the laptop to get it to work again. After half time also lost audio and again had to reboot the laptop again.
During this time I logged onto the app on an Android phone and was able to see the stream but was unable to cast it to my TV, which I can do for You Tube.

So a couple of questions.

1. Did anyone else have the same issues as I did, before half time and after half time.

2. Can the app stream be cast to a TV, as I was unable to do this while I was having issues with the laptop.

And just a comment on the stream, several times they had replays of goals and the sound from the replay and the live commentary could be heard making it very hard to understand what was going on.

What are the stream quality like on Kayo? Is it Fox commentary for live AFL games?

Reply #129
What are the stream quality like on Kayo? Is it Fox commentary for live AFL games?
The Kayo stream uses whatever commentary Fox uses, either their own or CheatsTV.

I had one streaming hiccup on the Kayo App during last weekends game, but I can't recall when it happened, the rest of the time it was in full HD. In the App you can choose the preferred resolution, Auto, SD or HD. In Auto it will buffer in SD if the stream slows, but you notice it on a big TV. If you set it to HD it might stutter but you tend not to lose anything, you just end up a few seconds behind the stream.

I've have one AppleTV setup on ethernet and the other is WiFi, I've never had a streaming problem on the ethernet based system, so I doubt jitter problems are caused by the App.

If your on WiFi and the connection drops out at regular intervals, it's probably something related to your modem/router falling over. Also, it's amazing how many pissy little devices can destroy your WiFi experience, cheap LED bulbs are a common problem they use little voltage regulator chips that radiate in the 2.5 to 5.0 Ghz range, also some little plug pack powers supplies are notorious for this, smart / colour change light bulbs, humidifiers, plugin odour / perfume gadgets, microwaves, etc., etc.. If you have too many of these shizen little gadgets, it's a bit like trying to listen to the symphony in a room full of chainsaws. Unfortunately, sometimes this can come from neighbours as well.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #130
@ LP

Yes agree, the Kayo app is a bit clunky and there is room for some improvement there.

Reply #131
@ LP

Yes agree, the Kayo app is a bit clunky and there is room for some improvement there.

It usually happens once per game/show, but i'll be watching it then all of a sudden it craps itself and restarts. I've gotta 'fast forward' back to where i was up too (if it was a replay) without going over and getting spoilers.
.....or 'live' if i'm watching something live which is less of an issue.

Its not a wifi issue as i'm plugged in via ethernet on that tv.

Reply #132
My wife told me it was buffering a lot when she was watching at home.

Missed the 3rd quarter...
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #134
I’m glad others think the Kayo app is clunky, for me the app is stable, but I find the menu system a bit lacking... sometimes struggling to find the game I want to watch.
Let’s go BIG !