Skip to main content
Topic: RD 16 : Blues Smack Saints (Aftermatch Review) (Read 75897 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 16 : Blues Smack Saints (Aftermatch Review)

Reply #90
I too wasnt convinced we would win until late....very late in the game!

Talking to some supporters at the ground, a lot of them said the same thing...." where is our flair?? we dont play with any flair anymore. Its stand here, run there stuff. Very rigid stuff and a real lack of taking a risk type football"  They've got a point!!

Thought Hendo and Rowe were great last night. Worked well together and looked for each other when the other had the ball.

Kreuz seemed to get first hand to the ball at every contest but appeared to be tapping it to the white jumpers rather than the blue!!

There was a boundary throw in right beside our point post and Kruez got his hand to the ball and tapped it toward the goal square, 5 or so meters out....beautiful stuff it really was, but the problem was that the Aints players all ran there and all our blokes were out in the pocket wanting the tap to go back the other way!!  I dont know who to be critical of here but it definataley is making Kruez look stupid!!

Is that where he's being instructed to hit the ball ???Is it lack of talk with our mids???  Are our mids the stupid one's maybe????  Dont know the answer but for the amount of times Kreuz gets a free ride to the ball through good positioning, the team in no way shape or form seem to be reeping the benefits!!!!!! >:(

We still seem to be getting mixed messages out there.......either that or we really do have some dumb footballers playing for us. It was a win. Effort, skill, physicality was still way down on our effort against the Hawks but at least we won.

Armfield needs a rest. Curnow is poo. Cachia ok. Touhy some nice things and all in all beat Milne.
McInnes was solid/dependable, thought Betts was great and gave us impact imediately when he came on.

Was Carrots injured or just taken off by MM???

Judd is a superstar. They say he carried WC for all those years. I'm sorry if we broke you Juddy. You truelly are a gem. Was an honour to watch you ork last night. ;)

Flair usually lasts as long as the confidence and composure is there to execute.
Our flair existed only in those games where we could run free and look good that doesn't happen when the other side is serious with its pressure.
We need players who can keep their composure and execute under extreme pressure, I'm not sure we have enough of them yet.

Flair? Forget flair.

Flair doesn't win you Grand Finals. If you listed teams based on flair, the reigning premiers would be 18th!

What we had last night was a well oiled machine. Didn't look pretty, but worked brilliantly, even if we had a few suspect parts in it.

We played well.
We played 4 quarters.
We were crucified early, we were attacked physically....we won.

Forget flair, i'll take that performance each and every week.

It's stating the obvious, but you need both good attack and good defense to play and win finals. Without turning this into word definition 101, I would say the Dawks and Cats play with plenty of flair, but have good defense to back it up. Swannies are more defense orientated, but are miles way from the "ugly football" slur of yesteryear. You can't win finals unless you post a decent score. The team under Ratts had plenty of flair, and little defense. MM needs to add defense without sacrificing attack - that is his challenge.

Reply #91
Aside from Watson, who I'll keep my powder dry on for now, I think our major weaknesses, based on last night, are:

Armfield
Curnow - maybe OK as a tag but awful disposal
Carrazzo.

There are obviously others who could be criticised, but replace the above with three hard at it quality players and we could be looking a lot better.

Which  3 hard at it quality players do you suggest ?

I've no doubt our highly skilled recruitment dept. will find them!  8)

Armfield has limitations (especially in the midfield) but intensity and effort cannot be questioned and he did his job in curtailing Stevens

For a man from a rugby background, Armfield's tackling is terrible.

Reply #92
Watson did his job about as well as he did last year and as well as he has been doing in the VFL when matched up against the slowest tall forward but he looked uncompetitive against the faster Lee - I was disappointed (but not surprised) when he gave up chasing as opponents ran into the goal square on two separate occasions

I wasn't too worried about the first one as he was chasing some much quicker than him but the second one was disappointing.

Reply #93
Armfields tackling is very good .

And don't read anything into how the song is sung Juddys how they back each other up on the field which, I'm happy to say, we did a bit of that stuff slew normally don't even get involved in.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #94
Just finished watching the replay and jesus....the commentary :o :o :o
Whats a stronger word than biased? >:(

I like how they continually blamed us for starting all the scuffles and how MM would be demanding it???  FFs have alook at how it all started you useless fwits!!

no mention of how we were getting the rough end of the stick with the umps but "oh Milera should have got a free for a high umpire". BT you useless O2 theif, he ducked his Fing head!!!
Too little and Way too late. Pull your fingers out boys!!

Reply #95
@RiverRat
I like Army and how he puts in RR, it's just that IMO we need an injection of players who are hard at it and also have a bit more class in terms of not only how they shut down players but how they hurt the opposition in more positive ways.

Cachia is starting to show some of this but Army and Curnow don't IMO - or at least not enough. Carrots was also in that latter category last night.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #96
Geeze, Watson moved like an Iceberg. Surely gone either this year or next.

Rutten moves like one too.. but everyone has a hard-on for him
Ummm...Rutten is a proven, AA full-back, reads the play as well as any defender in the AFL & uses his body extremely well one-on-one, with a reputation 2nd-to-none.....

Your turn sir.....
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #97
Just finished watching the replay and jesus....the commentary :o :o :o
Whats a stronger word than biased? >:(

I like how they continually blamed us for starting all the scuffles and how MM would be demanding it???  FFs have alook at how it all started you useless fwits!!

no mention of how we were getting the rough end of the stick with the umps but "oh Milera should have got a free for a high umpire". BT you useless O2 theif, he ducked his Fing head!!!

The other classic was "This is the anniversary of the Judd chicken wing tackle"!  ::)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #98
Did anyone notice how lacklustre the team song was sung after the game? Didn't look good. I think a big problem with this side is they have too many introverts and not enough that show genuine leadership qualities.
Or maybe they don't like hearing how $hite they are from their employer  :-\
Or maybe 'cos it was just a win against a team that has won just 3 games this year. Final siren went & I didn't see any Carlton supporters jumping around hysterically in delight.....some sang the song, most of us just smiled in quiet satisfaction & made our way out of the stadium. It ended up being a solid win (in margin) against a lowly opponent. Job done - what sort of reaction did you expect from the players....a lap of honour, followed-up with champagne popping in the rooms!? Purlease.....

Reply #99
Henderson was just what we needed tonight. Rowe is a keeper if he can get his endurance working . Watson probably did more in the seniors than he does in the juniors. Simo well done, Judd same old magic, and Garlett getting more active along with Yarran. Much better efforts. Not pretty but better for certain. ;)

I just can't agree with you there Mantis, I reckon he is a stop-gap measure until a better option comes along. He plays the CHF position pretty well due to his years of experience in the role at Norwood but he has some limitations which will get exposed against the better teams.

I will say this though, he's a much better key forward option for us than Casboult purely on the back of his kicking for goal.
Apparently Rowe has just signed a 1 year contract for next season. So he is going to be around for a little while longer

I don't know about Casboult, who is a better mark, but a worse kick and who also tends to run under the ball too much. I can't see both of them there next year, but there is also Mitchell.

Most of us can identify some of Rowe's issues, especially when the ball hits the ground. However, if we can get him playing to his strengths, rather than his weaknesses, he does give us something. Ross Ditchburn also had weaknesses, but we played to his strengths and he was top goal kicker for us.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #100
As usual, Watson appears to have been the cause of some dissention. There were time when he did very well and others when he just didn't appear to want it enough.
At the moment he fills a role and will probably next weekend as well: North have too many talls not to play him. However, we need someone a bit better than that, especially in terms of pace.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #101

Ummm...Rutten is a proven, AA full-back, reads the play as well as any defender in the AFL & uses his body extremely well one-on-one, with a reputation 2nd-to-none.....

Your turn sir.....

Watson has played 12 games and hasn't had a consistent run in the seniors...

your turn sir.

Reply #102
My word we were slow slow slow to move the ball forward....

As soon as we addressed that point, we looked a 300% better side.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #103
Man, the Curnow-bashing is doing my head in. The number of times he was there to mop-up fcuk-ups by other players last night was immeasurable. Yep, he can chop the ball up at times & guess what? So does the great Juddy. What'd Montagna do after quarter time last night? That's right, ZILCH. Curnow is a tackling machine & is always at the coal-face of play.....and going on what's been produced the last 2 weeks, is giving us a lot more than Carrazzo or Armfield at the moment.

Armfield finds himself in a rich vein of poor form right now.....I counted 2 missed tackles last night, his speed appears to have deserted him & he's totally ineffective (someone mentioned he did well on Steven....seriously? His team's 2nd-biggest possession getter last night with 22, plus a goal, compared to Armfield's 15.....seriously?)

Anyone else think Murphy looks slow lately? If he is carrying whatever leg injury (well, I hope that's his excuse), then it's clearly hampering his effectiveness....fancy having a chop like Clint Jones, not just outrun you, but widen the gap. Murph's chasing (plenty of examples in the Collingwood game too) is simply pedestrian at the moment....and it's quite obvious that opposition teams are taking full advantage of it.

Lots of okay/good performances, but as already mentioned, the likes of Juddy, Simmo, Hendo, Rowe, Cachia were standouts. Loved the functioning 2-pronged tall-forward line. Hendo = gun....absolute, deadset gun. Someone earlier in this thread mentioned that until last night, they were considering joining in on the criticism of Judd......fcuk me = another person who doesn't have a friggin' clue.

I hope Heath Scotland reads the signs and pulls the pin himself at year's end & doesn't need to be 'tapped on the shoulder'.....been a magnificent servant to our Club, but his effectiveness is becoming less & less.....the signs are well & truly there.

Brisbane us a huge favour, hopefully Freo will too....where there's life, there's hope!!!

Reply #104

Your turn sir.....

Watson has played 12 games and hasn't had a consistent run in the seniors...

your turn sir.
That's it......your hanging your hat on that? Come on LR, you can do better than that.....

12 senior games & countless VFL games over 3 years whereby he's shown no improvement in one-on-one contests (did you watch the VFL game against Casey Scorpions a couple of weeks ago?), is beyond hopeless when the ball hits the ground & doesn't read the play particularly well. I'm more than happy to have seen him get a game last night & like all Carlton players, hope he turns into a gun or even something more-than-reasonable will do - however, without the ball in his hands or at ground level.......yikes, he's got some work to do....and so far it hasn't improved over the 3 years he's been part of the AFL system. I shudder to think what someone like Drew Petrie or Robbie Tarrant might do to him.....