Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 2 2022 Post Game Permutations Carlton vs Western Bulldogs (Read 3949 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 2 2022 Post Game Permutations Carlton vs Western Bulldogs

Reply #15
We saw the first of Harry and Charlie working out how to play together.  That in itself was reason for joy - they will terrorise defenders.

Charlie is such a confidence player, and the mojo was back. 

I was hoping we'd be 2-2 after 4 games.  Well that's been fixed by Round 2.....
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #16
It's easy to forget just how good the WBs are.  But we were strong enough to match them.

Blemishes?  Sure, but they were few and far between.  Our midfield is something else.

Reply #17
Loved the midfield dominance.
Walshy was influential but was untidy in patches.
Crippa needs a left foot.
LOB, still not sold but that's me.
How long has this idea of kicking to a leading forward been around? Who ever thought of that needs a raise.
The team defence thing,  Doc mentioned in his interview that it was great but hard work,  probably why we ran out of legs in the last.
We looked settled. Well done Vossy, so glad we didn't end up with Lyon.
The coaches seem to call a spade, a spade which is quite refreshing.  None of this learning his craft or green shoots bull sh/t.
Now onto the Dawks.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #18
The hebejebes set in during the last quarter but they got through, every time they have a win like this some of their doubt ebbs away, and they will be more resilient and durable next time they find themselves in that position.

For now it's still some of the same offenders making the same mistakes, the kick in hope and the pressured disposal, but they'll get better as they grow in confidence about those around them.

Dogs did a great job of keeping Gov, Weiters, De Koning and our talls in general away from intercepting the footy, they just were very disciplined at getting in the way. I hope we learn from that!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #19
We still have a way to go because I thought we'd bottle it, but luckily the bulldogs can't kick straight.
True, but factor in:
- Martin and Cerra out with Covid
- Almost a totally different coaching staff in the box
- Lost Omac during the game
Against last years grand finalists that was a bloody great effort if you ask me.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #20
The Doggies couldn’t kick straight in the last because they were fatigued. Why were they fatigued? BECAUSE WE SMASHED THEM in the first 2 and a bit quarters.
We always struggled in the past to get that extra goal to create that psychological gap. Great signs all round.
LOB’s tackle best since Fraser Brown?
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #21
The hebejebes set in during the last quarter …

….still some of the same offenders making the same mistakes, the kick in hope and the pressured disposal, but they'll get better as they grow in confidence about those around them.
Won’t it be nice when the heebee jeebies don’t factor in to our games anymore and we can sit back and enjoy it more!! My heart was racing in the last, really didn’t want to lose that after such a dominant display early.

Re same offenders yes but add in a few trusted folk - was something off with Saad last night? He kept doing dinky kicks and it nearly stuffed us in the last.

Reply #22
Re same offenders yes but add in a few trusted folk - was something off with Saad last night? He kept doing dinky kicks and it nearly stuffed us in the last.
@Micky0‍  It's contagious, we saw Saad, Doc, Newman, LoB, Setters, Gov, Fisher and Pitto all get nervous and do a few things, we also saw blokes stop doing the team thing as they become hesitant.

For example a couple of times Kennedy and Cripps win tough inside footy and handball to nobody or even an opponent, that is not the fault of Kennedy or Cripps, the problem is there was a player from our team who did not get to where he should be, got lost or was late getting there, whereas the opponents were there in the right place and on time!

Some of that is still a result of the newness of the Voss regime, they won't get it all correct 100% of the time.

Think about this though, what is the team potential when they start to get it right under extreme pressure?

Being able to win ugly against last years grand finalist who are not yet on the board for this season is not such a bad thing!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #23
Meh, anyone can coach Carlton to a win… apparently.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #24
Great game from Pittonet who is a now a very decent ruckman and gave us 1st use.
Dogs stuffed up by not playing two rucks imho. Cripps, Kennedy and crew dominated most of the game and Charlie and Harry finished off their work up forward. Yep we hung on and got the wobbles at the end but it was still a very complete win.
Even the whipping boy LOB came to play and it was probably his best game for the club like others have said.
Still not convinced on him, and Setterfield but credit where it's due LOB was a good contributor vs good opposition.
Bevo looked like a stunned mullet  most of the night and missing Josh Bruce has really hurt their structure.
Finals looks a real possibilty now and banking wins early is the key.
Very impressed with Ash Hansen and his knowledge of the game when he spoke well at the presser too.

Reply #25
The Doggies couldn’t kick straight in the last because they were fatigued. Why were they fatigued? BECAUSE WE SMASHED THEM in the first 2 and a bit quarters.
We always struggled in the past to get that extra goal to create that psychological gap. Great signs all round.
LOB’s tackle best since Fraser Brown?
We often highlight the fact that opposition teams "couldn't kick straight". We do it, the media does it.
Granted, the doggies may have won had they kicked straight in the last... but wasn't it also our poor disposal in the last quarter, especially the kick ins, that gave them the opportunity to do so?

Reply #26
I think the boys might have been a bit fatigued in the last. 2 big games early on against good sides. Hard running both ways is hard to maintain. A nice 10 day break should see them refreshed for the Hawks.

Reply #27
One thing Saad must do ... stop flying in forward line packs when you have no hope at the intercept.  Stay down to guard against a spill to a forward.  Cost us a goal last night

Reply #28
One thing Saad must do ... stop flying in forward line packs when you have no hope at the intercept.  Stay down to guard against a spill to a forward.  Cost us a goal last night
I was a bit confused by the media commentary about a terrific D50, I thought last night our defence was not bad but was one of our weaker attributes on the night.

Rnd 1 the D50 looked rock solid, last night the Dogs cleverly pulled it apart, we were quite lucky that a lot of pressure was applied by our Mids and HFFs because if we had played like millionaires, as we have done in the past, we would have been trounced. Ironic for us given the flaws of the past, that last night our Mids were basically our saviours.

Because of the way the Dogs created some chaos in our D50, our players like Williams, Doc, Saad and Newman looked indecisive at times.

I think Pittonet had a good game in the ruck, De Koning not so much, however quite a few times Pitto and De Koning got in the way of both our KPFs and KPDs, this will need some fine tuning. De Koning did do a couple of nice things around the ground that either saved us or helped us score.

I was glad to see Weiters and Gov resort to the big punches in the last quarter, they were learning to deal with the Dogs interference patterns on the fly!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #29
True, but factor in:
- Martin and Cerra out with Covid
- Almost a totally different coaching staff in the box
- Lost Omac during the game
Against last years grand finalists that was a bloody great effort if you ask me.

Yeah but they were missing Bailey Smith, and the bont almost missed and wasn't his usual pain on the backside self.  Naughton also couldn't kick which is unlike him.

Our performance was good but we lost our way in the second half but held on.

Note the fact I thought we were going to bottle it and didn't is both good and bad.  Good because we didn't, bad because even though it was a game we didn't really look like losing the fact that I thought we  weren't home with a comfortable lead is part of the issue.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson