Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 10: Pre Game Premonitions: Carlton vs Geelong (Read 37217 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 10: Pre Game Premonitions: Carlton vs Geelong

Reply #135
Jones is also Indigenous isn't he? Didn't help him much.

That's right Cookie; there's no sentiment in footy.  If you're not considered to be in the best 22, being Indigenous, one off a landmark game or the son of a former player won't get you a game.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #136
Geez, Kreuze and Cas in is a scary proposition. I seriously don't see the point in risking either of them this week. It's not like it's the be all and end all if we lose to Geelong, which is the more likely outcome.

I really hope for 1AW's and Everitt's sake they extract their digits.

I'm quite surprised Jones got the @r$e, i reckon we would be much harder to match up on with another genuine marking target in the F50, but what would i know. Being a confidence player and all this shouldn't set him back one bit  ::)

Really want to win against these turd$, instill some belief that we can match it with them at the very least.

The more we win, the more attractive we will appear to players wanting to change clubs.

Reply #137
The only thing not being considered is who we are playing against.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #138
What this tells me is that Jones has been earmarked as a stop gap or depth player who will only be selected when there are no other options available. He is obviously not impressing the MC enough for them to persevere with him and he will likely be gone as soon as the opportunity is right.

I think getting at least 10 games into Curnow, McKay and Silvagni this year in NB or firsts will be priority to build that side of first team depth and some salary cap space to go with it.

McKay should return late June so should get solid three months of football under his belt heading into pre season.

Reply #139
In fact, Everitt and Walker had very different roles to Jones.

Jones is a key forward with the task of taking marks or, failing that, bringing the ball to ground.  He took one mark against the Roos.  Walker played as a lead up forward and took six marks. Everitt played more as a swing man and got most of his possessions up the ground.  None of them are setting the world on fire but, if Casboult plays, it makes more sense to leave Jones out.

If it was up to me, I would have Jaksch in for Everitt, but I'm not privy to the coach's instructions to Everitt.

All played forward.
All supposed to kick goals.
Yes, one is a hit up forward.
Yes, one is a key forward
Yes, one is a bit of both with the old 'utility' thrown in for good measure.

End result is, 2 blokes are not trying hard enough, the other bloke is AND is kicking goals. He kicked 2 of our 6 last week.

I'm not a big Jones fan, and am more of a Walker/Everitt fan. However, this is not (or at least SHOULD NOT) be about playing favourites. It should be about rewarding effort. That is my issue. Jones is putting in more effort than the other 2.....as well as getting more output.

How do you motivate 2's players to put in?

You show them that those who do get rewarded with a spot in the 1's.
You show them that those who don't are stuck playing 2's.

The MC is not doing that at present.

Reply #140

The MC is not doing that at present.

Unfortunately we are not privy to the roles assigned to these players, the expectations of their performances and the KPIs that determine promotion or demotion.  Therefore we can't say whether or not the MC are doing the right thing or not.  Eg some people on this forum wanted White dropped this week due to a poor performance last week.  Internally, they were delighted with the job he did.

There are two reasons you'll keep your place:  you fulfilled the task that was given to you AND there is no one better in the wings to take your place.  Eg Cripps might be out and Graham comes in. Graham gets 4 clearances 26 possessions and lays 3 tackles......ticked all KPIs but if Cripps is available next week, he comes in.

We'd love to see that MC checklist......but we can't!!

Reply #141
If they're 70% fit and can play through injury considering their age they should bloody well play!!!

Reply #142
Re: Krooz & Caz - something about pigs flying and snowflakes in hell, but the coverage these last 2 days makes me think our guys would kill to get out on the park and be part of what's building. This pleases me. So many times in the past few years it looked like too many players were simply disinterested.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #143
Re: Krooz & Caz - something about pigs flying and snowflakes in hell, but the coverage these last 2 days makes me think our guys would kill to get out on the park and be part of what's building. This pleases me. So many times in the past few years it looked like too many players were simply disinterested.

If you're on the money, it's certainly a wonderful little indicator of success.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #144

It is pleasing to see the commitment for sure but I also think there is another major factor in play. Our depth is just so poor atm. We may well have some young guys waiting in the wings like SOSOS but they are not ready yet. Aside from those few we have very little and the MC and BB know that we need our very best on field in order to stand any chance of beating any other side. BB's philosophy includes building a belief in our ability to grind out any kind of win in order to build and maintain team morale - a constantly losing team quickly loses steam - at the same time as rebuilding that team. It's a juggling act for sure but outside of selecting the 22 we see this week there is very little else available in the cupboard atm that will facilitate that.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #145
It is pleasing to see the commitment for sure but I also think there is another major factor in play. Our depth is just so poor atm. We may well have some young guys waiting in the wings like SOSOS but they are not ready yet. Aside from those few we have very little and the MC and BB know that we need our very best on field in order to stand any chance of beating any other side. BB's philosophy includes building a belief in our ability to grind out any kind of win in order to build that belief and maintain team morale - a constantly losing team quickly loses steam - at the same time as rebuilding that team. It's a juggling act for sure but outside of selecting the 22 we see this week there is very little else available in the cupboard atm that will facilitate that.

Now that's taken the wind out of my sails Cookie!

We simply lack the depth to field a competitive side if a couple of our key players are injured.  Our best 25 is the equal of most of the middle range teams but we fall away rapidly after that.  We have blokes with the potential to play AFL but they haven't realised it yet, and perhaps won't ever.  While there are occasional glimpses from Smith, Foster, Rainbow, etc, time is running out.  We really can't afford to bring in another group of players who won't progress beyond the NBs.

Hopefully I'll see a competitive 22 this arvo  :)

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #146
I'm expecting a similar loss to last week unless our midfield, meaning Cripps and Murphy, plays a blinder.
If that happens we might run them to two or three goals, but consistent effort and a team ethos is all I really want to see today.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #147
I'm expecting a similar loss to last week unless our midfield, meaning Cripps and Murphy, plays a blinder.
If that happens we might run them to two or three goals, but consistent effort and a team ethos is all I really want to see today.

i think the Pies showed that the Geelong mids don't run that deep either....their back line is experienced, but arguably old and pretty slow too.

Who shuts down Sumner, Lamb?

Hendo on Everitt - win for us. Mackie on Walker? Taylor on Levi - the Bolt will slaughter him if we can get a 1 on 1.

After Dangerfield and Selwood, what Guthrie? Caddy?

We'll win this...

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #148
i think the Pies showed that the Geelong mids don't run that deep either....their back line is experienced, but arguably old and pretty slow too.

Who shuts down Sumner, Lamb?

Hendo on Everitt - win for us. Mackie on Walker? Taylor on Levi - the Bolt will slaughter him if we can get a 1 on 1.

After Dangerfield and Selwood, what Guthrie? Caddy?

We'll win this...

Guthrie and Caddy are very good players - Guthrie has moved nicely from being primarily a tagger to being a creating, offensive mid, and is enjoying a break out season.

Dis them at your peril.

Reply #149
Tutt haas taken Jaksch's spot on the emergencies list due to the latter being ill.