Skip to main content
Topic: Chickens have come home to roost-bring back Justin Cordy (Read 11601 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Chickens have come home to roost-bring back Justin Cordy

Reply #15
I reckon that significant injury set backs have resulted in multiple Pre seasons that have been ruined for too many players resulting in a largely evident fitness issue during the season proper.  We finished last season stronger than we started it, and I expect that to occur again this year, but anyone telling us our blokes are in good nick were probably telling porkies.

We usually get the odd fluff pieces about the time trials around Prince's park, and this season none of that actually came out.  Or does 2012's injury set backs not have a correlating effect to players moving forward?

Regardless we don't run out of puff, we get rattled by intense physicality moreso, and when the tackling intensity goes up we seem to drop regardless of what quarter it is.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #16
And they are the only side whose fitness is in question and have dropped off considerably in the second half early in the season. So I don't think that's a good example to use.

Not the only club. Freo get questioned nearly every week

Reply #17
Not the only club. Freo get questioned nearly every week

Freo take their foot off the gas.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #18
our players are just weak,if you compare them to other teams players we look undersize,look at our players legs,arms no muscle what do they do in the gym.

Reply #19
our players are just weak,if you compare them to other teams players we look undersize,look at our players legs,arms no muscle what do they do in the gym.

Agree...gibbs and murphs body have not changed since they started

Reply #20
Murphy is a tank. Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #21
Reckon Gibbs is strongly built too but is a bit lean through the core.... That could be the jumper being slimming though. He's definitely bigger than when he started.

Reply #22
Murphy is a tank. Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane.

Bit unfair there, Cocko, Murph goes in hard and puts in his best each and every week. His skills are great. Just wish he'd stop the posing when he thinks he should get a free... not a good look.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #23
Sorry…guys I posted this warning 2 years back when we got Buttifant as the steak knives in the MM deal…when I spoke to a senior Collingwood playing coaching staff  member at the time he said that they were happy to see the back of DF..reckons they were 6 months behind other AFL clubs for fitness at the time and had to double the workload for 3 months in that offseason to get the list up to the required level…we were great at good 4th Qtrs under Ratts despite our skill deficiencies and almost made a Prelim after that shocker no free v Tex Walker in Perth……..cant be unfit and have no skills=17th spot 1 and 5……..players way too soft…Gibbs and Murphy 2 touches Q4…no correlation?…..I reckon we are majorly unfit…Thoughts?

Sounds like crap to me.   Collingwood had just made a GF and it's frontal pressure for the last two years was amazing.

Reply #24
I don't know Gags10. It could be a case of not being fit. We definitely haven't got the skill and some of this problem is in the players self belief and confidence. They do appear slower immediately after the first quarter in ever game I have watched. It gets worse after half time. I don't know if it is between the ears, and the players give up hope. I don't know if the players are not interested in the contest and even winning games. However I don't feel the players are as fit as they could be. a lack of fitness will see fatigue sink in early and that can have a serious effect on skill levels. Which do drop off early in a match. A lack of fitness do to fatigue will effect confidence too. You might have a valid point. It is definitely something I would want to have addressed at the club if we are to rebuild. No stones can be left unturned. ;)

Last weeks game watching live proved they were unfit to at least follow whatever it is MM calls his game plan - they were pulling in big breaths and bent over but I never saw not one of them on the lead or anything so couldn't work out why they were so stuffed

Reply #25
i'll never forget the intensity, speed, skill of hand and foot and potency we had in one game against collingwood round 3 2012
reigning grand finalists and we beat them by 10 goals.
The arrogance of murphy giving the scum fans the one finger salute. I really thought leaving the ground....we'd play deep into september that year