Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 10: Post Game Paradise!: Carlton vs Geelong (Read 50123 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 10: Post Game Paradise!: Carlton vs Geelong

Reply #195
Not a short memory at all Krud.
Mick took a team that was premiership favorite at one stage the year before.
A team that had Betts, Waite, Garlett, Yarran and Walker firing under Yarran and turned them into a completely noncompetitive unit. A team Mick claimed was ready to challenge, the board claimed was ready to challenge and to be honest a list most people thought was firing until a horrible injury run.

Under Pagan our list was pretty awful for a long time and things we were dreadful, particularly towards the end, I am more than aware of that and don't need reminding as if to suggest I am overlooking that period at all, I doubt any Carlton supporter over 25 could possible ever forget that period.

Now I am not into all the debates that I have no doubt happen on this site about Mick and whether he was the problem or not, so I don't know people's opinions.

But I have mine.

Through the last 20 years we have had a number of people have absolutely horrible impacts on Carlton.
John Elliot
Ian Collins
Dennis Pagan

Are just a few (Sticks and a few of his tight knit cronies also were more bad than good unfortunately)

But number one to me and by a very long margin... Is our previous coach.
He ruined what was a very competitive list, ruined the chance to challenge in Judd's final years, seen good players turn absolutely awful. He had zero idea how to play a game plan to the strengths of our team and oversaw the departure of our entire forward line.

Bolton (imo) is absolutely categorically the reason for this turnaround. The player ARE buying into his message and this team is playing much better than I have seen in a long time and better than it EVER played under Malthouse, including the Richmond final.

Watching the team for the first time since the days of Ratts, it felt like we had extra players on the ground, we got more players to all the contests, something I have rued forever when we are on the receiving end of that. Now you don't have to think this is down to Bolton and no down all the assistants play their part, but I am 100% sure that if this team was led by Malthouse right now we would be at best 1 win from the first 10 (which is about where most pundits would have had us at the start of the season) and that is based on the exposed form from the last few years.

As for SOS, I don't have any doubt he has been doing his job and a few of the young guys he has brought in have done well. But it is the re-invigoration of the older players (we still have an old list on average age) that really sees us 5-5, though yes I do think SOS has done a great job

Agreed. Malthouse was a complete and utter disaster.

Reply #196
I hope we don't get into BB worshipping... just more Messiah stuff. First thing to love about BB is what he is bringing and has brought to the club - 'leadership dense and a ruthless desire to succeed at everything' culture, inclusiveness, discipline, reality, unity, all club community .... And I'm pretty confident that that is what he would want supporters to love/worship - the growth and development of our club, not individuals.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #197
I hope we don't get into BB worshipping... just more Messiah stuff. First thing to love about BB is what he is bringing and has brought to the club - 'leadership dense and a ruthless desire to succeed at everything' culture, inclusiveness, discipline, reality, unity, all club community .... And I'm pretty confident that that is what he would want supporters to love/worship - the growth and development of our club, not individuals.

Saw him walking across the Yarra this morning... without a bridge

Reply #198
Not a short memory at all Krud.
Mick took a team that was premiership favorite at one stage the year before.
A team that had Betts, Waite, Garlett, Yarran and Walker firing under Yarran and turned them into a completely noncompetitive unit. A team Mick claimed was ready to challenge, the board claimed was ready to challenge and to be honest a list most people thought was firing until a horrible injury run.

Under Pagan our list was pretty awful for a long time and things we were dreadful, particularly towards the end, I am more than aware of that and don't need reminding as if to suggest I am overlooking that period at all, I doubt any Carlton supporter over 25 could possible ever forget that period.

Now I am not into all the debates that I have no doubt happen on this site about Mick and whether he was the problem or not, so I don't know people's opinions.

But I have mine.

Through the last 20 years we have had a number of people have absolutely horrible impacts on Carlton.
John Elliot
Ian Collins
Dennis Pagan

Are just a few (Sticks and a few of his tight knit cronies also were more bad than good unfortunately)

But number one to me and by a very long margin... Is our previous coach.
He ruined what was a very competitive list, ruined the chance to challenge in Judd's final years, seen good players turn absolutely awful. He had zero idea how to play a game plan to the strengths of our team and oversaw the departure of our entire forward line.

Bolton (imo) is absolutely categorically the reason for this turnaround. The player ARE buying into his message and this team is playing much better than I have seen in a long time and better than it EVER played under Malthouse, including the Richmond final.

Watching the team for the first time since the days of Ratts, it felt like we had extra players on the ground, we got more players to all the contests, something I have rued forever when we are on the receiving end of that. Now you don't have to think this is down to Bolton and no down all the assistants play their part, but I am 100% sure that if this team was led by Malthouse right now we would be at best 1 win from the first 10 (which is about where most pundits would have had us at the start of the season) and that is based on the exposed form from the last few years.

As for SOS, I don't have any doubt he has been doing his job and a few of the young guys he has brought in have done well. But it is the re-invigoration of the older players (we still have an old list on average age) that really sees us 5-5, though yes I do think SOS has done a great job

Nailed it MIO.  Fifteen of the blokes who took the field on Sunday were running around last year and all of them are playing better footy than they have for a while.  Bolton has made a huge difference, not only to the playing group but to the club as a whole.

I could go on a rant about the simplistic view that it was always the players' fault but I'd rather just celebrate the fact that we have a coach who knows what he is doing, is getting the best out of our list, and will not be satisfied until our best is even better.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #199
Only takes one weak link in a side to make things turn to crap and we got rid of a few bludgers.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #200
I think we can look at it in simplistic terms.

To me it's as simple as this ...for the first time for more than a decade we seem to have a club united.
The method of Bolton's appointment has meant that he is getting support from all sections of the club.

Brittain
Pagan
Ratten
Malthouse

The way they came to the positions meant that there were always elements of the club that thought someone else could do a better job....the white ants.

I thought Brittain and Ratten were hard done by.
I have little time for the Pagan and Malthouse periods but because of the resistance they faced I don't regard them with the same derision as others.
The club itself was not conducive to a united effort.

Bolton has to be given credit for seemingly being able to overcome that culture and getting everyone on the same page. Trigg and the other admin folk deserve credit for assisting in that process.

Bolton strikes me as a culture shaper and in that respect he is a coach for our times...something others weren't....but don't underestimate or disregard the efforts of everyone to buy into what he's selling.

Reply #201
Docherty will be in the AA squad at the half way mark... he looked a nice player when we got him, but he has gone to an elite level this year. Sensational player. Will go close to being the next captain.

Career best for Hampson isn't that good, but he is doing a job for the Tigers. I'd take Docherty every day of the week, but let's be magnanimous and call it a win-win.
Bear i think your from Brisbane and i remember you saying what a great pick up he was when we got him down to Carlton. You were right on the money

Reply #202
Only takes one weak link in a side to make things turn to crap and we got rid of a few bludgers.

I wouldn't have thought compliant, solid citizen type players like Hendo and Menzel would be too difficult for someone like Bolts to pull into line, but it's all water under the bridge now.

Reply #203
Then why didn't we keep Menzel, has anyone seen the guy this year? Where is Yarran now?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #204
re: Weitering....wasnt sure if he did duck his head or he just did a Hampson and misjudged the flight of the ball....
Thought he had a hard time early with Stanley who is very mobile for a big bloke and he didnt seem to keep up with him very well but as the game went on I thought he got better and took some nice marks and cleared the ball well....
Agree with EB on this one. Just finished watching the replay and watched that a couple of times and he did not duck his head and just misjudged it. Has ben reported that even though the roof is closed that there can be a swirly wind inside the ground. He did get better as the game went on.

Reply #205
Then why didn't we keep Menzel, has anyone seen the guy this year? Where is Yarran now?

I don't know - I guess they considered him good trade bait. I'm guessing also that SOS and Bolts thought his trade out could be covered by the players being brought in. He's playing in the Adelaide 2's. Maybe he's another lifestyle AFL player, like Kane Lucas. Injuries didn't help him. Also, I don't think the Crows forward line is the easiest to break into.

Yazz is supposedly in WA on indefinite leave. I didn't mention him for obvious reasons.

Reply #206
That is the silliest post I have ever read.  'Worried about the lad"?  You are kidding me aren't you.  He's an 18 year old kid, playing like a 5 year defender.

I am worried that being thrust into the seniors at a very young age and coming up against some very much stronger bodies that he MAY not be looking only for the ball.  Other posters agree with me and he is certainly not playing like a 5 year defender.  If he was playing like you say he would be breaking packs apart as he clears downfield not merely dodge and dance around in the clear (or nearly clear).  He certainly looks like he will make it but he requires more muscle on those bones of his.

Remember Watts being greeted by Collingwood playeys in his debut.  They monstered him when he came off the bench and set him back many years.  I worry for the same happening to Dettering before he reaches his potential.

Reply #207
I am worried that being thrust into the seniors at a very young age and coming up against some very much stronger bodies that he MAY not be looking only for the ball.  Other posters agree with me and he is certainly not playing like a 5 year defender.  If he was playing like you say he would be breaking packs apart as he clears downfield not merely dodge and dance around in the clear (or nearly clear).  He certainly looks like he will make it but he requires more muscle on those bones of his.

Remember Watts being greeted by Collingwood playeys in his debut.  They monstered him when he came off the bench and set him back many years.  I worry for the same happening to Dettering before he reaches his potential.
Chalky there is no doubt they have to tread carefully with JW and monitor his progress so that he doesnt get "thrashed". Firstly I have the utmost confidence in the people in charge to to make the right decisions. Secondly, I personally have seen nothing to suggested JW is suffering or showing signs of weakness. In fact, I reckon he is actually intimidating a few much older opponents with his poise and maturity. He's fine, he's special and he's a ripper.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #209
This argument about who is to blame for previous years and who gets the credit for this year reminds me of the 5 blind guys who all get to touch an elephant and describe to everyone else what an elephant is...

Let’s go BIG !