Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 23: Post Game Party? Blues come home in the last! (Read 69412 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 23: Post Game Party? Blues come home in the last!

Reply #120
Yes, Murph took a big step forward in the leadership stakes tonight.

No doubt...both he and Gibbs were challenged by the coach and delivered. Murphy looked better down forward and his finishing was important.
Credit also to Yarran who played very well and his work was very classy at times....

Credit must go to Malthouse who really put the onus on the leaders and even Duigan I thought was a valuable player...

Big question is can this same group of players who won the game for us tonight led by Murphy deliver again next week....

Come on EB, I don't expect sycophantic comments from you.

Hopefully Malthouse now realises that playing Yarran off halfback is critical to our success, as is having Duigan put his big frame into the contest.

If Malthouse is as good a coach as some would have us believe, he will throw his pre-conceived ideas about structures and favourites out the window and build on what worked in previous seasons.

We're still a way off a genuine finals contender but there is huge potential if we can retain Betts, play Yarran and Walker in their best positions, pick up a genuine KPP and get at least one of our rucks to win the ball around the ground.  Encouraging risk taking football as Hawthorn plays wouldn't go astray but that may be a 'bridge too far' or our rather conservative coach.

Finally, I'm leading my former workplace's footy tipping by 3 coming in to this round . . . and I tipped Port Adelaide  :(  It could cost me dollars but I don't mind  8)

DJ...not flattering anyone  to buy any favours or changing my opinions over one game just giving credit where its due to the individuals who won the game.... a win is a win and someone must have done something good to achieve the result.

As I said the challenge is there for the players I mentioned to do it again....am I sold on Murphy as captain ..No...Gibbs as a A grade matchwinner...No... Duigan to keep his place on the list..No
and while I will give Malthouse another 12 months there is nothing to suggest he has improved this team as yet or is just another Pagan collecting his super.

The three amigo's forward line wont win us a flag, we need decent KP forwards....prefer Yarran on the wing...

Reply #121

No doubt...both he and Gibbs were challenged by the coach and delivered. Murphy looked better down forward and his finishing was important.
Credit also to Yarran who played very well and his work was very classy at times....

Credit must go to Malthouse who really put the onus on the leaders and even Duigan I thought was a valuable player...

Big question is can this same group of players who won the game for us tonight led by Murphy deliver again next week....

Hopefully Malthouse now realises that playing Yarran off halfback is critical to our success, as is having Duigan put his big frame into the contest.

If Malthouse is as good a coach as some would have us believe, he will throw his pre-conceived ideas about structures and favourites out the window and build on what worked in previous seasons.

We're still a way off a genuine finals contender but there is huge potential if we can retain Betts, play Yarran and Walker in their best positions, pick up a genuine KPP and get at least one of our rucks to win the ball around the ground.  Encouraging risk taking football as Hawthorn plays wouldn't go astray but that may be a 'bridge too far' or our rather conservative coach.

Finally, I'm leading my former workplace's footy tipping by 3 coming in to this round . . . and I tipped Port Adelaide  :(  It could cost me dollars but I don't mind  8)

DJ...not flattering anyone  to buy any favours or changing my opinions over one game just giving credit where its due to the individuals who won the game.... a win is a win and someone must have done something good to achieve the result.

As I said the challenge is there for the players I mentioned to do it again....am I sold on Murphy as captain ..No...Gibbs as a A grade matchwinner...No... Duigan to keep his place on the list..No
and while I will give Malthouse another 12 months there is nothing to suggest he has improved this team as yet or is just another Pagan collecting his super.

The three amigo's forward line wont win us a flag, we need decent KP forwards....prefer Yarran on the wing...

I really am getting sick of this three amigos cant work ion the same team crapeee...

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/fabulous-four-hit-the-big-time-20130830-2swd9.html

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #122
So releaved we actually won one of these games. looking frward to next week.

Reply #123

If your assessment is correct EB, why has it taken Malthouse an entire season to "challenge" Murphy, Gibbs, Duigan and other leaders?

I don't believe Malthouse did anything different, other than perhaps swallowing a little pride and accepting that the previous coach had worked out the best positions for a few players.  My take is that some of the players - particularly Murphy, Gibbs, Yarran, Betts, Duigan, Garlett and Walker - took it upon themselves to show that it hasn't been a wasted season.

I agree with you that the three amigos shouldn't all be on the forward line; Yarran should be running off half back and Betts and Garlett have to provide a greater midfield contribution.  A KPP is a must have for next season and I'd love to see a Stevie J type forward/midfielder in navy blue.  I'm not convinced that Menzel has a place in our best 22 and I don't think that Kreuzer and Warnock can form an effective ruck partnership.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #124

If your assessment is correct EB, why has it taken Malthouse an entire season to "challenge" Murphy, Gibbs, Duigan and other leaders?

I don't believe Malthouse did anything different, other than perhaps swallowing a little pride and accepting that the previous coach had worked out the best positions for a few players.  My take is that some of the players - particularly Murphy, Gibbs, Yarran, Betts, Duigan, Garlett and Walker - took it upon themselves to show that it hasn't been a wasted season.

I agree with you that the three amigos shouldn't all be on the forward line; Yarran should be running off half back and Betts and Garlett have to provide a greater midfield contribution.  A KPP is a must have for next season and I'd love to see a Stevie J type forward/midfielder in navy blue.  I'm not convinced that Menzel has a place in our best 22 and I don't think that Kreuzer and Warnock can form an effective ruck partnership.

If you had to pick one out the 2 for next weeks game (Warnock or Kruiz) who would you go with?
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #125
I really am getting sick of this three amigos cant work ion the same team crapeee...

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/fabulous-four-hit-the-big-time-20130830-2swd9.html

The three amigos plan doesn't work at our club because our three amigos aren't committed & desperate enough every week.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #126
I didn't get to see the game but listened in when we were about 30 or so points down. Then heard the last 5 minutes of the game. Amazing stuff. Happy for the boys and for Mick because I reckon if there was no fightback then we could forget about the next 2 years.

Anyway, clean slate next week and it is Richmond so who knows what could happen on a Sunday afternoon at the 'G

Reply #127
Couldn't resist, waited till the wife fell asleep, then got up to watch  replay.. That Shultz is one hell of a set shot goal kicker.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #128
JuddKreuzer how did you find a point for Kreuzer in the votes? :S
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #129
Phew!!!! That was farking heart stopping stuff. But thank you Bluebaggers for delivering the best Fathers Day present ever. Today is going to be a magnificent day at the in laws. Absolutely magnificent  ;D

Needs more of that stuff from Murph and the 3 Slackos next week. Reckon the Tigers will be very concerned  >:D

Reply #130
Hard to find a Carlton player that played four quarters of solid football.

Credit to Gibbs, Walker, Curnow, Yarran and Murphy who didn't have great first halves who set up the win in the last.

Walker and Yarran's run out of the back half was a highlight.   Interesting that the Fox team suggested that Yarran had gone to KCornes and was using his pace to run off him.   Can't say I noticed it and was interested if anyone else picked it up.

It must also be said that Port dropped right off.   Their pressure and ball movement from the first half just disappeared.

We dominated the centre bounce clearances  13 - 2 at one stage in the last and our blokes actually outworked the Power over.  Amazing to see a side that was stripped of any confidence play this way.   Win the ball and the clearances???   Nothing to do with game plans.   Just a desire to win the hard ball and chase.

Credit to the boys in the last (and the coach?), but we did pinch that and we should be a lot better than that.

Reply #131
Port expended so much energy trying to flood back and forth that they were out of legs in the last.

I hate it when we let shultz get the ball. Rarely misses a set shot.

Reply #132
Couldn't resist, waited till the wife fell asleep, then got up to watch  replay.. That Shultz is one hell of a set shot goal kicker.

We could have picked him up cheaply when he left the Tigers!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #133

Malthouse has been challenging them all season and it has taken them this long to respond.  He didnt wake up yesterday and think to himself that i should challenge these blokes now.  These guys only responded due to the outside situation of not making finals.  Something they failed to respond to last season when facing North Melbourne.  Who you credit that to is up to you.

When was the last time we had that sort of comeback against anyone?  Port did allow it to happen, but they tried to stop it and lifted the intensity with ten minutes to go and where our blokes have folded in the past they didnt this time.  In the past we would get in front solely to choke and then give it away, but credit must be given this time for stemming the tide getting on top and going on with it.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #134
Just watched the comeback highlights on YouTube and in didnt give rough credit to Andrew Walker.. He had a hand in four goals and his kick on his left was first class

Menzel had some real classy touches in there. Definitely a player.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset