Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Round 5: Post Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Port Adelaide (Read 51447 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Round 5: Post Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #195
Yes, I agree it's all in the past. We need another 3 years to see the hard work being done now, coming to fruition.
Exactly.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #196
Yes, painful memories indeed! Add all of those to our poor past culture/development environment and no wonder we ended up as a basket case. Anyway we must now look forward and learn from the past.
You can tell how bad our recruiting was that not one of those players are on a list 

Reply #197
I don't care who we picked, they were all appropriately rated by us and other clubs and they all failed to progress at our club including those players who left to improve at another club!

The fact that many left our club broken should be a warning to supporters about how our club develops younger players, and keep that in mind relative to our current youth tactics.

You can blame the list manager for some of the mix, but in those cases the coach also gets some blame, the list manager generally acts as instructed.

You can't blame the list manager for players who leave and get better, or players who fail to achieve / reach expectations, that is clearly not the list managers job.

Yes, I agree it's all in the past. We need another 3 years to see the hard work being done now, coming to fruition.

Do you expect the likes of Cripps and Weitering to be re-signing three years from now if the sort of sh1te we currently deliver persists? Will they be physically and psychologically damaged beyond repair? Maybe they'll just be more busted kids on the way out by them!

If the club and players start to improve, doesn't that mean we no longer get low draft picks we say we need, or do you think we can improve with mid-range picks?

Do you really think Gibbs, Murphy and Kreuzer trades will attract low 1st Rnd picks?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #198
GITC, I also knew a bloke who was part of the recruiting network for a  Victorian club and he indicated that a couple of clubs are regarded as recruiting and trading nuff nuffs... not just us. 

A number of clubs openly laughed when we drafted a "fat, unfit" Cripps.  I do take exception to the fact that everybody we drafted pre-SOS was a dud, many were highly regarded juniors.  Some like Giles were  cruelled by injury, others were nutcases, but poor development certainly played a big role in the failure of many to come through.

DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #199
GITC, I also knew a bloke who was part of the recruiting network for a  Victorian club and he indicated that a couple of clubs are regarded as recruiting and trading nuff nuffs... not just us. 

A number of clubs openly laughed when we drafted a "fat, unfit" Cripps.  I do take exception to the fact that everybody we drafted pre-SOS was a dud, many were highly regarded juniors.  Some like Giles were  cruelled by injury, others were nutcases, but poor development certainly played a big role in the failure of many to come through.

I would think that an impartial analysis of why that was so would be a very interesting exercise.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #200

Richmond would almost certainly be one, and maybe the Demons.

I'm not sure about fat and unfit, but my concern with Cripps is his leg speed and his one-trick-ponyness. In a game where speed is becoming more important, and where a variety of skills are paramount, I would not be averse to trading him for the right deal. I would not be so keen to trade Weets, who I regard as a superior footballer.

Reply #201
Richmond would almost certainly be one, and maybe the Demons.

I'm not sure about fat and unfit, but my concern with Cripps is his leg speed and his one-trick-ponyness. In a game where speed is becoming more important, and where a variety of skills are paramount, I would not be averse to trading him for the right deal. I would not be so keen to trade Weets, who I regard as a superior footballer.

Paul, I think Cripps is a bit deceptive wrgt pace. He certainly doesn't look quick but he does seem to have that bit of time to execute, in a similar way that Rhys-Jones used to have. He looks like he is going to be caught but then somehow gets his disposal away OK. Uncanny!

Reply #202
I don't care who we picked, they were all appropriately rated by us and other clubs and they all failed to progress at our club including those players who left to improve at another club!

The fact that many left our club broken should be a warning to supporters about how our club develops younger players, and keep that in mind relative to our current youth tactics.

You can blame the list manager for some of the mix, but in those cases the coach also gets some blame, the list manager generally acts as instructed.

You can't blame the list manager for players who leave and get better, or players who fail to achieve / reach expectations, that is clearly not the list managers job.

Do you expect the likes of Cripps and Weitering to be re-signing three years from now if the sort of sh1te we currently deliver persists? Will they be physically and psychologically damaged beyond repair? Maybe they'll just be more busted kids on the way out by them!

If the club and players start to improve, doesn't that mean we no longer get low draft picks we say we need, or do you think we can improve with mid-range picks?

Do you really think Gibbs, Murphy and Kreuzer trades will attract low 1st Rnd picks?

It's only 2-3 years since GWS was experiencing similar thrashings to ours last weekend. GWS has now turned the corner and look premiership threats. We have to stick to the plan. I'm sure Bolton will rest players as they tire. That's why we have the likes of Palmer, Kerridge, Alex Silvagni, Thomas, Curnow (Ed.), Gibbs, etc. still on our list. Even GWS had to have some mature players to spread the physical workload while the young ones muscled-up.

Reply #203
Paul, I think Cripps is a bit deceptive wrgt pace. He certainly doesn't look quick but he does seem to have that bit of time to execute, in a similar way that Rhys-Jones used to have. He looks like he is going to be caught but then somehow gets his disposal away OK. Uncanny!

Maybe strength, will power ? He is also one of the few on our list who doesn't hang onto the ball for an eternity, which may also help.

Reply #204

Lets just agree to disagree on this one LP. You think development could have made them good AFL footabllers, IMO, Jesus Christ couldn't have developed those spuds I mentioned into AFL std footballers so we are poles apart on this. Its a new era now, we seem to be on the right track (at least I think we are), it will take time and we need to be patient.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #205
He looks very fallible now that he hasn't got Tuohy backing him up in the defensive rotation.

Agreed. Simpson is struggling too in that regard.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #206
It's only 2-3 years since GWS was experiencing similar thrashings to ours last weekend. GWS has now turned the corner and look premiership threats. We have to stick to the plan. I'm sure Bolton will rest players as they tire. That's why we have the likes of Palmer, Kerridge, Alex Silvagni, Thomas, Curnow (Ed.), Gibbs, etc. still on our list. Even GWS had to have some mature players to spread the physical workload while the young ones muscled-up.

Spot on JoFo. GWS even got on board Mumford for instance as a bit of a father figure/ protector for the young guys as they developed.

Reply #207

GWS were recruiting top draft picks at least 3x faster than Carlton is able to collect them, and that even assumes we stay at the bottom long enough to get early picks!

So if we want to be another GWS we need far more early draft picks, where are they going to come from?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #208

Cookie...He has the Pendlebury hold the hands high basketball style , so average size mids cant knock the ball away, add that to brute strength and a long stride and he is hard to bring down and restrict disposing of the ball.....we just need to give him another big mid as backup and we will see a fitter better Cripps....dont think pace is an issue, plenty of slow mids who are stars going around.
Dusty isnt super quick, he just pushes people out of the road or in the case of Carlton players they just step aside or throw one arm at him which is equivalent to waving him on....

Reply #209
GWS were recruiting top draft picks at least 3x faster than Carlton is able to collect them, and that even assumes we stay at the bottom long enough to get early picks!

So if we want to be another GWS we need far more early draft picks, where are they going to come from?

I'd love to know how you'd do it. I really don't see any other way. Maybe you know John Elliot? Maybe you are John Elliot?????