Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Fixture (Read 19326 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Fixture

Reply #60
You're the professional wrong man. Talk so much crap. I'm close to the point I just pass over what you have to say as I get sick of shaking my head at your posts.

Casboult's proved his worth here. You're just too weak to admit you're wrong. Club thinks he goes ok, you're ego doesn't.

Here, where a capacity is 34,000, you can only fit one side in hence you move the game to a bigger ground. There was a reason why we never played Essendon and Collingwood at Prices park in the end. Cats get 7 home games, that's good enough. Not as if Carlton can play at PP. Collingwood at Victoria Park, Essendon at Windy Hill, so Geelong did get a big advantage by keeping their ground as it is.  Don't care what happens on grounds overseas when you have to travel miles to a ground as an away side. I'm talking what happens here with 10 sides in the one state where supporters can go every week.

:)In support of laj.

Reply #61
If the AFL has a pre existing hatred and hostility towards CFC, then why give us so many Friday night games (not a sign of hatred IMO) ?

And if this hatred is at the forefront of their minds, why do they need to be reminded of it by journalists ?

No of course not, the haters will hate, but that is not what I post about.

When someone makes the effort to put pen to paper, is it with or free of motive? There is a lot of politics that goes on in all this Paul, it would be naive to think their hearts are pure! Why with all the other potentially contentious issues in the draw, do we find Carlton's draw front page news on two national newspapers within 1hr of the draws publication? They had obvious rage before they even left the briefing, rage supplied internally or was it by a call from a Club President?

I think that is a sign of a simple hatred, much more so than a sign of any organised conspiracy. Further McLachlan and Auld put the heat on by their comments, but are they fairly quoted or verballed by the press, emphasis applied to those comments by the speaker or the editor?

I'd think the reality is the AFL have started reparations for Carlton, relative to the punishments handed out and the general AFL situation of the last few years. I detected some of this last season, mostly around the AFLW and from within football, not so much the media. It looks to me like the old regimes are fading but under some protest, and those articles are the last gasps of the self-righteous two-faced hypocrites who are nothing more than spoilt children crying wolf! For too long they have thrown tantrums and have gotten their way, but they do not speak for everyone anymore and the AFL is quickly realising the professional public commentary comes with a fair bit of agenda attached.

AFL Media has an infestation and it's not healthy, I suspect McLachlan has realised this!

Perhaps the CheatsFC saga has made them understand, when they hurt us they actually hurt everybody!

Sayonara Sheedy, your regime is dead!

PS; Is this AFL draw a sign that Lethlean has the job?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #62
No of course not, the haters will hate, but that is not what I post about.

When someone makes the effort to put pen to paper, is it with or free of motive? There is a lot of politics that goes on in all this Paul, it would be naive to think their hearts are pure! Why with all the other potentially contentious issues in the draw, do we find Carlton's draw front page news on two national newspapers within 1hr of the draws publication? They had obvious rage before they even left the briefing, rage supplied internally or was it by a call from a Club President?

I think that is a sign of a simple hatred, much more so than a sign of any organised conspiracy. Further McLachlan and Auld put the heat on by their comments, but are they fairly quoted or verballed by the press, emphasis applied to those comments by the speaker or the editor?

I'd think the reality is the AFL have started reparations for Carlton, relative to the punishments handed out and the general AFL situation of the last few years. I detected some of this last season, mostly around the AFLW and from within football, not so much the media. It looks to me like the old regimes are fading but under some protest, and those articles are the last gasps of the self-righteous two-faced hypocrites who are nothing more than spoilt children crying wolf! For too long they have thrown tantrums and have gotten their way, but they do not speak for everyone anymore and the AFL is quickly realising the professional public commentary comes with a fair bit of agenda attached.

AFL Media has an infestation and it's not healthy, I suspect McLachlan has realised this!

Perhaps the CheatsFC saga has made them understand, when they hurt us they actually hurt everybody!

Sayonara Sheedy, your regime is dead!

PS; Is this AFL draw a sign that Lethlean has the job?

So, you reckon the AFL believes we've now been punished enough, and it's time to "ease the squeeze" ?

Reply #63
Notwithstanding a rubbish article from Michael Gleeson, we really need to play a lot better in next year's Friday night fixtures.  Any blow outs or train wrecks and the club will be caned.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #64
Notwithstanding a rubbish article from Michael Gleeson, we really need to play a lot better in next year's Friday night fixtures.  Any blow outs or train wrecks and the club will be caned.

It is hard to believe that we have 4 Friday night games... and one against Sydney at the SCG. I don’t even want to watch that one.

Little bit worried that the AFL are trying to give us a hand... because our financial position has deteriorated... which is why Trigg was sacked.

Reply #65
Just thinking out loud, I hope the draw dosn't influence our strategy at the darft and with DFAs. I can imagine phone calls from the board to put pressure on to make sure we are competitive this year given the favourable exposure on Thurs/Fri nights, which has great potential to attract new sponsors and members. Hope we are strong enough as a club to stick with the overall stratgey and build for sustained success

Reply #66
AFL's fixture blue: Why Carlton shouldn't be playing too many Friday night games

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afls-fixture-blue-why-carlton-shouldnt-be-playing-to-many-friday-night-games-20171031-gzbvkg.html

Carlton were one of the worst teams in the competition this year. They finished third-bottom, which was one place worse than last year. They have traded away Bryce Gibbs, one of their best players, and so will be more callow next year than this.

They have also played one of the least attractive brands of football, where scoring is secondary to not being scored against. There are justifications for that – whether you agree with them or not – about teaching a young team to defend and buttressing the back line against heavy losses, but regardless of that, Carlton's education is far from complete.

And yet, against all of this, the AFL reckons them ready to be thrust into more prime-time slots next year. Does no one remember the conga line of Friday night car crashes in 2015 when Carlton had nowhere to hide?
There are more teams with a more deserving argument to occupy these slots. Melbourne, anyone? Anyone? The Demons get one Friday night game and yes, they get Queen's Birthday, but so what? The fixture requires its architects speculate on a club like stockbrokers. Melbourne should be a buy, Carlton a hold. The AFL did the opposite.

There is no basis to argue it is a good idea to shove Carlton out on more Friday nights next year. It will be easier to sell sponsorships so that will help their bottom line and make things easier for their new CEO, but that is about it. Though that CEO is expected to be former AFL executive Simon Lethlean.

The desire for Carlton to follow Richmond as next year's awakened giant is understandable, but wishing it to be so does not make it so. Carlton is not there yet and at least on the field they seem to know it. Does the AFL?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #67

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/the-afls-fixture-leaves-plenty-to-be-desired-as-gold-coast-gifts-a-win-to-fremantle-and-blues-get-four-friday-night-clashes/news-story/989e7f6254b3bad74d15beddda738523?from=htc_rss

THE AFL has its fixture release down to such a fine art that it is normally a stretch to confect some outrage.

A weighted formula means the toughest draw goes to the top-six teams and the best teams deservedly get the marquee Friday night slots 

How do you get upset when most teams get what they deserve?

Which is why several key elements of this year’s fixture were so jarring when released on Tuesday.

No matter how you spin it, the AFL can’t justify gifting Carlton four Friday night games next year.

Especially when they already have a Thursday night season-opener against Richmond as well.

Carlton might have a good sprinkling of exciting kids, but this is a team which finished 16th this year, which was 18th for scoring, which for all its potential plays a sedate, defence-first risk-free game plan.
North Melbourne, Brisbane, Fremantle and Gold Coast all got no Friday night games, and GWS, Hawthorn, Melbourne and West Coast got one each.

So when eight teams including Hawthorn get a combined four Friday nights, its impossible to justify the Blues getting four by themselves.

In 2015 Carlton’s Friday night losing margins were 69 points, 75 points, 77 points, 60 points, 30 points and 138 points.

This year it played a bunch of kids and lost by 90 points to Port Adelaide in its only Friday night game, having lost by 43 points to the Tigers in the Thursday night season-opener.

The league will hope to sell next year’s games on Charlie Curnow’s improvement and tight low-scoring contests, but a fixture shouldn’t be built on hope.

It’s just plain wrong.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #68
Not sure why both articles refer to 2015. The club is unrecognizable compared to now. 

Reply #69
Not sure why both articles refer to 2015. The club is unrecognizable compared to now.

The reason both articles refer to 2015 is that the writers are bereft of arguments to support their opinions.

One thing that Bolton has done is reduce the number of blow outs.  Our footy may not be exhilarating but the results are usually quite close - and that's good for TV audiences.  However, a long, hard season with very few hardened campaigners could see us fall away towards the end of the season.  That could present some unedifying spectacles.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #70
Travis Auld let the cat out on SEN yesterday.... The AFL are concerned about our financial position, especially the failure to attract a major sponsor.  The night games are to make us attractive at a corporate level.

The media pundits are clueless.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #71
Travis Auld let the cat out on SEN yesterday.... The AFL are concerned about our financial position, especially the failure to attract a major sponsor.  The night games are to make us attractive at a corporate level.

I heard that and thought that Auld was making it up on the run.  Didn't Virgin Australia take over from Career One?

We also picked up CUB and Uber as sponsors during the year.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #72

When LP says something about an underlying media white anting of Carlton, you should listen and even if you reject that hypothesis, test it before rejecting it.  Thoroughly.

I think they will line up to kick us at each and every opportunity presented.  I don't believe its down to any other factor, but our history.  We were historically the most hated arrogant club, so to have non Carlton alligned media hate us makes sense, particularly when those self proffessed people back clubs like Essendon, Collingwood and Richmond.

None of these lightweights have talked about how few prime time slots we got in 2017 and 2016 however, choosing only to focus on things that sell their story.

Meanwhile, notice how not one other club has been mentioned in this conversation?

Also, its a bit rich to play the man.  We have all of 2 home games on Friday night.  1 against Collingwood, and the other against Adelaide in the final round of the season which is supposed to be a floating fixture which changes based on the way the season unfolds (unless I am mistaken) which means that its not genuinely a Friday night game as everyone is listed as playing on that Friday night currently. 

The other 2 friday night fixtures, are our opponents choice.  1 in Sydney.  The other is the Bulldogs.

As far as I am aware, the clubs go to the AFL with requests to play clubs at home, and the the AFL have to balance that accordingly against the requests of the home team fixturing as receipts at the gate are still part of this equation.  Irrespective of what TV land thinks of our club and where we are at, we are still better visiting teams to have at the gate for clubs than most of the teams "crying" about the lack of friday night fixturing because we do have a big supporter base, who do go to games, particularly in places like Sydney, and WA. 

Our season opener is about 10 years old now, and shouldn't be mentioned in this conversation yet it is.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #73

Spot on, Trigg was running us into the ground.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #74
The reason both articles refer to 2015 is that the writers are bereft of arguments to support their opinions.

One thing that Bolton has done is reduce the number of blow outs.  Our footy may not be exhilarating but the results are usually quite close - and that's good for TV audiences.  However, a long, hard season with very few hardened campaigners could see us fall away towards the end of the season.  That could present some unedifying spectacles.

My initial question was partly rhetorical.

I think an absorbing, closely fought, 4 quarter contest is more enjoyable than a blowout game, which is over by 1/4 time. I watched many games with the Crows etc. that became a pointless spectacle by half time.

I'm no fan of the style we play, but that's only part of the issue. The main issue is what both teams bring to the contest to make it a great game of footy. We were in plenty of games, with final quarter leads in 7 of them, so there's more to it than shoot out footy.